Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BzK = Chocolate Teapot?

Poster: A snowHead
Shallimus, yeh, but there is all the phaffing about with your bindings, skis you just click in and you're away wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus wrote:
Serious point: one thing I prefer about snowboarding is the lack of "correct technique" relative to skiing. In fact it's the #2 thing which put me off continuing to ski (after #1: I find boarding is more fun). I say this even though I did enjoy skiing. Boarding allows me to find my own way and progress rapidly without instruction. I know someone is going to say I'm picking up bad habits, but I bet whoever says it is a skier Razz

No offence and I dunno about you but there are plently of boarders who certainly seem to have missed the lessons on piste safety and the The F.I.S. Code of Conduct!
Quote:
Overtaking: leave enough room to allow the person you are overtaking to make an unexpected manoeuvre

Look both ways: when starting a run, entering a run or setting off again after a stop to make sure it is safe

Stopping on the piste: avoid stopping in narrow places or where visibility is restricted. Always move to the side of a piste if you have to stop.

Sorry , off topic...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ickabodblue:
Quote:
Shallimus, yeh, but there is all the phaffing about with your bindings, skis you just click in and you're away

Two words: Flow bindings Happy (not that I can afford new bindings this season, but...) Still, you're not wrong. It is a hassle.

roga:
Quote:
No offence and I dunno about you but there are plently of boarders who certainly seem to have missed the lessons on piste safety and the The F.I.S. Code of Conduct!

I'm shocked at the very suggestion. Along with all my riding buddies, I always stick to the Federation International du Snowboard rules (aka common sense)! Little Angel In my experience people from both sides of the divide are sometimes guilty of this, particularly [apparently] unsupervised1 children, which is just bad parenting.

I really don't get this whole "hordes of snowboarders sitting across the piste" stereotype though. Does anyone actually see it, or is it just repeated so often that it has become fact? If I see boarders sitting around in groups it's always on the side of the piste. Who wants to be skied into? Puzzled Granted I do sometimes have a quick sitdown in the middle of the piste when I'm really pushing my limits, but only for the 3 seconds it takes me to figure out which way is up and ask if anyone saw which way my goggles went wink Just as bad as boarders across the slope, and based on personal experience: huge crowds of skiers having a jolly good chinwag at the top of every drag lift NehNeh

Hint taken roga, I'm in the wrong neighbourhood, so my 2¢ on-topic: I agree with those who think a forum split is an good idea. Those with only rudimentary skiing skills (like me) have different requirements to experts/pros. I reckon whoever suggested a Green Run and Black Run area was onto something...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-12-07 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Michelle wrote:
veeeight, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Of course, the correct answer is: slide down or your ar$e Toofy Grin

What if the piste isn't wide enough? Shocked Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One of the things I really liked during my forays into the dark side was the much greater sociability of snowboarders. Having caught something, hard to say what, fallen and winded my self, I might sit getting my breath back (always in strict accordance with appropriate FIS rules of course), inevitably 2 or 3 proper boarder would plonk down by me for a chat, does not happen with skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
One of the things I really liked during my forays into the dark side was the much greater sociability of snowboarders. Having caught something, hard to say what, fallen and winded my self, I might sit getting my breath back (always in strict accordance with appropriate FIS rules of course), inevitably 2 or 3 proper boarder would plonk down by me for a chat, does not happen with skiing.

just over the brow of a hill Shocked Shocked wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I strongly agree with all those who have said above that they value contributions from the real experts, don't mind if they sometimes disagree with each other, etc etc. However I'm not sure about a green and a black area. It's not just "beginners" and "experts", there are people with different learning styles. Some will only really appreciate a picture or a video (links to videos are great). Others have a more analytical approach and like to read lots of words. When I went on a beginner dinghy sailing course I had never sat in a dinghy in my life, but had read a brilliant book on how to sail, and had done it in my head, commuting between East Croydon and Victoria, for several weeks before the course. It helped hugely. I "knew" what to do, and putting it into practice was therefore quicker. Equally, when I was learning to snowboard, I watched a very good video at one stage, and mentally did lots of turning/foot steering. I did it all through two particularly gruelling spells in the dentists, having root canals done. Again, it made a huge difference when I got back on the board, with a much better idea of how to turn the board by using the edges properly, rather than just swinging my arms around (as an ESF instructor - lovely guy - had taught me).

So, even a beginner can profit from a technical discussion. I have "The Skiers Edge" and read bits of it a lot, even though much of what is described is well above my level, and I find some of it hard to internalise.

Can't we have one forum, as good natured as possible, that we can all cherry pick from, according to our learning styles, as well as our level of expertise? Even if not very expert skiers, some of us can probably discern those contributions from people with a tendency to Papal utterances...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, yes, agreed. I don't think I expressed this very well above, but I was trying to say that we perhaps should direct a thought, additionally, to our aspiring ski instructors on here. They presumably need to learn how to communicate in all sorts of way, to all age groups, intellectual levels and proficiency levels, and it's presumably quite good for them to practise that on here, with a ready-made mixed bunch of punters. Be interesting to know what they think.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
[... it's presumably quite good for them to practise that on here ...

There's such a big difference between teaching on snow and writing words on a forum that I don't think there's a lot of value for aspiring instructors to improve their teaching skills by using a forum like this. Good to share a passion for skiing, help clarify technical points, even highlight useful drills and exercises, but I don't think it will do much to improve teaching quality.

The Skier's Edge is a top book - the one publication I've learnt the most from Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shallimus, Did you not have lessons to learn to board then? - I very much doubt that I could learn to board without instruction.

Thanks for the comments about my piste poles thread - OK, you could argue that it works, but where would you place the instruction to prefix threads like this - even a sticky quickly gets ignored or even missed by newcomers.

Also, you may have real difficulty if knowing when what you think is a simple answer actually gets more complicated than is required by a OP.

Even if this forum was split, I would read both bits and certainly would contribute to both - tough luck folks, you can't get rid of us nervous basic novices that easily wink wink

THAT LAST BIT WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE - HONEST snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, rob@rar, Thanks for book recommendation - I think that completes my current list of books to get from Amazon and qualify for free delivery! A worthy companion, I'm sure, to the latest Hugh Johnson pocket wine book and Simon Hopkinson's latest book of recipes! Toofy Grin

rob@rar, oh. Ah well, just a thought.

Megamum,
Quote:

you may have real difficulty if knowing when what you think is a simple answer actually gets more complicated than is required by a OP.

Exactly. It's sometimes difficult to predict how simple or complicated a question actually is. But your piste marker question and some of the stuff that's been thrown up (off Shocked ) on chairlift threads, show that hardly any question exists that's too basic to ask, someone (as well as the original poster) is almost bound to learn something from the thread. Excluding, of course, those people who think they've nothing left to learn, but I don't get the impression there are too many of those on snowHeads.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle,
Quote:

someone (as well as the original poster) is almost bound to learn something from the thread. Excluding, of course, those people who think they've nothing left to learn, but I don't get the impression there are too many of those on snowHeads.

I find the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn. Anyone who say's they've nothing left to learn, doesn't know very much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman wrote:
I find the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn. Anyone who say's they've nothing left to learn, doesn't know very much.

I know I don't know anything. So, does that mean I actually know everything...? Puzzled

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 20-12-07 9:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton wrote:
I know I don't know anything. So, does that mean I actually know everything...? Puzzled

It would have done, until you thought you did, but by thinking it, you proved you don't.

Are you as confused by my mind as I am?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman,
Quote:

the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn

So true. That can, if one's not careful, have a debilitating effect on self-confidence, though - the higher up the tree I got in my erstwhile day job, the more scared I got! Skullie
snow conditions
Hurtle, not as scared as your clients perhaps? Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, you think I let on to them that I was scared?! Nah, I just carried on providing them with the excellent service for which they seemed content to pay megabucks, and stressed out in private! Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Shallimus, Did you not have lessons to learn to board then? - I very much doubt that I could learn to board without instruction

Nope. Never had a formal boarding lesson (although I've had some ski lessons back in the day). Admittedly, right at the beginning I had an advanced friend show me the basics, and picked up the odd tip by slooooowly riding past a snowboard class in session and tuning in. As I've said elsewhere on snowHead, I fervently believe that lessons would most likely have held me back, partly because I had no preconception of what I was supposed to achieve in my first week. I don't doubt that an expert boarder could teach me a thing or three; my point is that I can progress (noticeably) on my own in a day without instruction... I doubt I could achieve the same on skis.
snow conditions
CEM and skimott, I apologize for coming across as lumping you with those you would not wish to be and certainly should not be lumped with. I was trying to be clear in my post (but obviously was not) that there is no obligatory link between those who started a thread about changing BZK and the very few experts who are self superior and can be damaging to BZK and the forum.

To set the record straight on what I think, CEM, you are an expert who is always friendly, polite, professional and tolerant. Though I still do not know why you want to change the structure of the BZK forum when it seems all that is needed is that self superior experts follow your excellent example. Skimott, you are a pro who certainly does not pontificate and on the contrary asks good questions and stimulates useful discussions. I do not think I am overstating it when I say your participation in the BZK forum is one of the best things that has happened to it this year. I get the feeling you do not have a problem with BZK as it is, just with the whining about it and experts point scoring on it disrupting it. Personally I think the whiners shoud simply be ignored and not responded to, and those very few experts should be told grow up and behave.

I would be upset to see either of you reduce your contributions here and see no reason for you feeling the need to do this. I would also hate to see any experts reduce their contributions here as long as they were being civil and tolerant. I think if people stopped whining about BZK being too technical and point scoring among experts stopped that some invaluable experts like Fastman and offpisteskiing who post less now might post more. The other thing is I think its only a couple of experts who also want to regulate nonpro posts on technical matters. v8 doesnt like seeing lots of opinions expressed especially by nonpros and even more especially when they differ from His own. Easiski doesnt like nonpros disagreeing with pros but unless pushed to the limit is friendly and tolerant. SZK is invaluable when sober but seems to spend quite a lot of his time high, when he would like to kill BZK dead because it has not paid its license fee in truffles for the ZK suffix like he knows it promised him in a dream last week. Otherwise each and every one can be great too! There, I said it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy