Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - General information about the valley sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Ischgl for a week. The Valley seems pretty developed and concentrated at Ischgl and we could only get reasonably price accommodations at Kappl or Maton. In the end we chose Matron. I find by staying off the resort the accommodation cost drops off quickly and a 10 minutes in car isn't really a bother.

It seems the road beyon Matron is not open for the Winter. Does anybody know how far from Matron the road is closed?

Also the Valley seems to have a very small skiing resort at Kappl which doesn't seem to be worthy of a visit, even though it may be 10 to 15 minutes from Ischgl. Can any snowhead shed some light about the rest of the skiing places outside the Ischgl domain?

I am also thinking of taking a day trip to Solden but that seems to be a bit out of the way. It is really an exploration visit so that I could plan a future trip to the area. I am taking a 4x4 stocked with snow chains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee,
The road is certainly open as far as Wirl which is where the Galtur slopes are( A few miles beyond Mathon). I found the skiing in Galtur enjoyable on my visit , very uncrowded and scenic, it was quite a long time ago though.
I am off to Kappl in february and have not been there before, I plan to ski See and Kappl on this trip though, if you are going after the end of february I could give an update then.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should be in Ischgl in weeking commencing 19 Jan as I am going to Mayrhofen the week before.

The Kappl web site shows there are only 1+3+2 chairlifts and doesn't look like a large area whereas Ischgl on the other hand appears quite massive.

See in Tirol is also another 7-lift resort. Is it worth to spend time there?

Not been Ischgl yet so I am trying the area out. I accept that quiet areas may be better but I need to know the main resorts first before making any sensible comparison.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee,
I haven't been to the other areas and do not know what they are like, with around 1400m of vertical I would of thought either may be worth a shot for a day.
I skied the Ischgl area last year from the Samnaun side, it is certainly a decent sized area with good skiing (Which is one reason why I'm returning. snowHead )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, A day trip to Serfaus Fiss Ladis would be more viable from Ischgl. (Apparently) its a great cruising resort with a very modern lift infrastructure and 150+km of runs...

http://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markus,

Excellent information. Just the sort of things I am after : to be aware of the major skiing places around the Ischgl Valley or near to it. I did not know there are so many nice resorts between Ski Welt and Arlberg. Think I need another trip for Solden, Stubaital and resorts around Innsbruck.

There are so many nice skiing resorts in Austria that do not feature much in the skiing brochures. I rather go there than to France to queue up in Courcheval or La Plagne.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy