Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gstaad Super-Ski 2007/8 ...

Poster: A snowHead
Jerry,
Quote:

A couple of my running mates are off to Zell on Saturday for a week of langlauf

sadists Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, Yes .. just got back home .... (1845 hrs) .. continuous snow for 15 hrs .. ( tending to sleet for last 3) ... am I happy .... ???
I'll write a report about today in an 'hour-or-so' .. ' Snow-is-low, height's - a- fright. , whitegold-is-(bad) history' ... , don't care if I don't get another day's skiing this year ... awesome .... 'off-piste-on-piste' wink wink wink wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-03-08 7:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre, steady on old timer wink
If it stirring your stagnant juices then it must be awesome, lucky bleeder Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Calming down - a - bit ; nursey providing oxygen ; if only I could ski properly rolling eyes snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey, from the sounds of it you must have pushed the boat out and done 2 runs today Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, Nah .. just the one wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, which do you reckon he needs the bigger rest between wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of Fresh snow ..and Brits
Date : Jan 12th/ 13th 2008
Weather : Snow on Saturday ,, heavy in the morning. Sunny skies – feezing at about 1250m on Sunday
Snow Coverage ; I would gues we got between 15 and 35cm dependent upon location on Saturday
Snow Conditions :Sensational –on both days – although no skiing for us Saturday am
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-Schonried and Gstaad – Saanen - Rougemont today GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Not a lot on either day.. more a messing around day in the powder at the dge of pistes
Runs Completed ..Two,, aha !! One on each day ,
Cost of Living Why dont I get a loyalty bonus ? -- Whatever else you think, drinks in Suisse are more expensive than France or Italy ...

We woke up Saturday am to leaden skies and fresh snow. It continued to snow heavily over all morning and we chose to go shopping / getting tickets etc.

Overhead a smashing conversation between 3 ‘British’ ladies in Saanen station. I need not worry about them being on here, as true –to – form they were more interested in hubby’s business/ size of their property/ where next holiday is to be than the snow falling outside.

We chose to go over to Zweisimmen as our embarkation point – bigger village than any of the others around here and the ‘Clapham Junction’ of the area as you can access Lenk and Adelboden with a quick train change.

Zweisimmen had significantly less snow than the other villages and was a lot ‘wetter’. I don’t know but guess we must have been right on the snow/rain limit in Saanen at 1000m.

Skiing on both days was absolutely fabulous. Think I enjoyed myself more than ever although having 2 boards strapped to your feet made light work of the conditions.

The only disappointment was the home-runs around Saanen and Gstaad which had scraped off despite the fresh snow. I hope the pisteurs resolve that overnight .. not a fun experience.

All the photos are from Saturday … as I forgot to charge the camera and it said ‘enough’ as soon as we got on the slopes this morning !

First couple of photos are from the apartment – or rather the road looking at the Eggli slope early am.

next one is of my mates and close neighbours enjoying the weather .. they are only the people I’ve yet found who understand my German.

Didn’t look particularly inviting from Schonried looking back down towards Saanen and our apartment which is mid-photo, we enjoyed the log fire an hour later though !

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, my bunions were correct then wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe wrote:
So, my bunions were correct then wink

2 out of 2 ( so far ) .. but with 3 still to go your bunions are still under review wink Would you to like the amend the next 3 ...?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No - I have full confidence !!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smokin Joe, You're doing well so far !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smokin Joe … we salute you [b]
[b]Date
: Jan 14th/15th 2008
Weather : Monday was overcast and then it snowed overnight big time. Yesterday (Tuesday) was crisp and bright
Snow Coverage ; I would guess we got between 10cm on Monday night .. a lovely top-upy
Snow Conditions :Sensational –on both days – it doesn’t get any better than this anywhere at any time
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-Schonried on both days GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Don’t know but did a lot of kms in my lesson – at least that’s what my legs said
Runs Completed ..Two,, again !! One on each day , [/ I]
Cost of Living [I]Given up eating … no time ..

The legend that we know as Smokin Joe has come up trumps . His snow foprecasting is infallible .. what a shame iot doesn’t cross over into his choice of nags on a Saturday.

Snow on Monday/Tuesday night made for even better conditions … and just to prove it’s not raining it’s dumping snow as I write this on Wednesday morning and the reason that I’m not outside skiing. Never seen such big ‘flakes’ when it started .. they were massive.

I had my first lesson yesterday , this being the first since PSB it was long overdue and I was somewhat surprised the numbr of ‘bad’ habits I seem to have cultivated in between.

Anyways , her name is Nicole is she is quite charming. I will provide additional information as and when I know her better … suffice to say so far I know she can ski a bit.

I saw a couple of red balloons when we wre out skiing yesterday .. unfortunately I wasn’t sharp enough to get decent photos and there should be loads of other opportunities as next week is Chteau-d’Oex balloon week …… mad bar stewards it must be cold in those things … you’d think they’d have the burners below them so that they can warm their hands and feet.

It was so ‘flat’ on Monday I didn’t take any photos so these are all from yesterday and were all taken before 10 am.

The first is over Saanen airfield with the mountain behind:-

Looking westwards towards Rougemont :-
Others are various shots from Schonried of Rellerli and some trees which caught my eye.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, you are the original 'hog in pow' out there Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, Beyond my initial dreams when I came here ... it was more about convenience for Geneva airport rather than likelihood of snow when I made the original decision. So far it's been stunning .. the only time I have encountered 'high winds' was yesterday on the summit ... drop dopwn a 100m and calm again.

I've been tolfd that for 3 weeks of February that the slopes will be 'hell' , even more so than New Year ( I asked why and apparently NY crowd is more about being seen than skiing/boarding!) . Bit of a shame really as I appreciate that given its height it will suffer in the Spring earlier than most ...

Still snowing and poor vis ,, wish It would stop ( just for a few hours you understand) Toofy Grin
snow report
Well Yesterday ( Friday \0 was my last day skiing for a few days as other (unreal ) priorities take over.

Suffice to say that it was another great cold bright day.

IT had snowed early am after the pistebashers had done thir business. The resul 5 coms of soft snow oer an immaulate base ... isn't life difficult.

I got back to South of France late lkast night , and yes snow on all the hills and mountains here.

Looks like everyone should have a wonderful time skiing next week.. Enjoy & Stay Safe.
ski holidays
Heaven … and Hell
Date : Jan 21st/22nd 2008
Weather : Monday was bright and then it rained overnight… big time. Today was a mixture of rain/sleet/snow at 1000m
Snow Coverage ; Major erosion of the 1m base at 1000m over the last few days … with the overnight rain and today’s sleet causing havoc onb lower slopes
Snow Conditions :Yesteday was brilliant with lovely firm snow softening up as the day progressed … I have no idea today
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-Schonried on both days GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : yesterday – 31 km
Runs Completed I’ll have a harf ..
Cost of Living ??? – Why did I start this?

Having taken a few days off to go back ‘home’ and sort stuff out ( and get something decent to eat ) … arriving back I was disappointed to see how great a toll the warm weather had taken on the low – lying areas … not surprised, just disappointed. No wonder ‘Foehnen’ (sp) starts with and effing ‘F’, who needs warm winds.

However my tripidation for the state of the upper slopes was soon put to rest as soon as I went up yesterday, the slopes were in magic condition and there had been so few people about that even the piste edges still had fresh snow.

That was Heaven ….

….. Hell came today. Overnight we had ‘rain’ … the roads were treacherous; I’m a mid-Walian and know what real ‘Black-Ice’ is but this was amazing .. a new experience ….
but as I had a ‘lesson’ with the delightful Nicole I made the effort and dragged my aged-back bottom out for a 0930 start . I wasn’t ‘very’ enthusiastic .. although warmed by seeing some stuff sticking at 1300m.

I was to be disappointed …. All the lifts had been shut due to ‘High Winds’….. oh , how I’ve inwardly giggled as other friends/ respondents have had to write-off days in VT, Verbier, etc ….. now it was happening to me ! Did I want to do some of the lower drags ???? NO! … Sulk! .. and why you’re not getting any piccies!

What will tomorrow bring? Who knows? Loads of stuff has fallen ( so The Volkl Bridges are the order of the day ) … we’ll see.
I keep seeing and hearing loads of Brits here ,,,, can none of them be snowHead ????? Confusing me …

BTW – I know noone seems to come here; and I know only my ‘friends’ can be arsed to post on this thread out of courtesy …… but I’m gonna continue posting with piccies for the hell of it … TUFF !!
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Smokin Joe … we salute you

The legend that we know as Smokin Joe
has come up trumps . His snow forecasting is infallible .. what a shame it doesn’t cross over into his choice of nags on a Saturday.

Light snow Thursday (24th Jan)

Heavy stuff at the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) then sunny for a week wink
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Heaven … and Hell
Date : Jan 21st/22nd 2008

BTW – I know no one seems to come here; and I know only my ‘friends’ can be arsed to post on this thread out of courtesy …… but I’m gonna continue posting with piccies for the hell of it … TUFF !!

I still intend to have a long weekend out that way if I can fit it in and there are hotels that cater for such things Very Happy keep up the reports and I would suspect that there are also a few others that view with comment until they have a trip to take Very Happy
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
and I know only my ‘friends’ can be arsed to post on this thread out of courtesy

Puzzled I was told that you were paying them for posting on this thread wink
latest report
Agenterre,
Quote:

and I know only my ‘friends’ can be arsed to post on this thread out of courtesy

`
You have friends? Shocked

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre wrote:

BTW – I know noone seems to come here; and I know only my ‘friends’ can be arsed to post on this thread out of courtesy …… but I’m gonna continue posting with piccies for the hell of it … TUFF !!

Well, that's another few minutes of life I'm not going to get back. rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
Sorry Agenterre, I love reading this thread and seeing your piccies but I haven't posted anything on it - do carry on posting, tuff or not. I'm looking forward to skiing behind you and trying to catch up in Wengen Toofy Grin
snow report
The latest photos you have uploaded look great today - sunshine all the way !!
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, Jeez .. I haven't even written the stuff yet ...

What colour shirt am I wearing ??? wink
snow report
I'm a bit slow on the uptake and missed the start of thie thread....read it all now keep up the good work...
ski holidays
Agenterre, blue ?
ski holidays
I’m ‘umbled .. Please note ... all Forecasts ( dual or otherwise) are provided by "Smokin Joe Armchair Enterprises" ...copies available from the Man Himself at a £10/ Chf ???? a throw
Date : Jan 23rd 2008
Weather : Beautiful Blue Skies , freezing around 1000m rising to 1400m mid-afternoon
Snow Coverage ; Loads … 2m ??? at the top …. Sfa at the bottom
Snow Conditions :Beautiful powder and soft snow at 200m , but icy and scrappy below 1400m
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-Schonried and Wispile GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : 15kms standing, 0.5 km on my arrus
Runs Completed After the fall??? … noneI]
Cost of Living [I]Exchange Rate dependent?

I described the last couple of days as Heaven and Hell…. Well today probably belonged in Middle-Earth as it had great snow and bad snow..

I suspect that I suffered from the resort’s lack-of-height for the first time . The upper slopes are in amazing condition, there is more than 2 m at 200om. However, the rain/snow level yesterday musr have been around 1400m as the lower slopes have ice ( real) and scrapey/scrapey big time … I took a real pearler on my first run down … should have engaged brain I suppose.

Having said that what – a –morning it was , up early-ish , dodged the police and the first runs were mine !!! The powder was great and a bit of company would have pushed me into being a bit more adventurous .

That’s something I’m really conscious of … I probably skied as well as I have under Tony’s tutillage in Zermatt at Xmas having had a lesson from Charlotte recently; I feel that skiing on my own I’m not ‘doing it right’ , a little reserved perhaps. Shame .. as I know that’s inevitably more dangerous. But hey, I’m in the mountains.

Apart from the Sun – and - Snow , I was amazed at the number of kids on the slopes … mant with British accents … OI! HAUT-LAC ! .. It isn’t funny having a train of 25 Brit kids snaking down the mountain even if you have 3 (Brit) instructors … and tell the Jock-Bird that her failure in getting them 3-abreast in lift queues is her fault not the other punters !!

BTW – Thanks to the Evertonian – Yes, I choose my friends ! Wink

Rayscoops. Eminently feasible I would have thought ….. next 3 weekends will be bad apparently due to 1/2 term. Some excellent hotel options , but need to work it so that it is post-dump and boarder-friendly.

RachelQ YEH !! The day I beat you 2 down a piste !!!!!

BTW- HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Today’s photos :

I had my Volkl Bridge out today .. I chickened out of this first thing : -

but did it later…

looks pretty but note that the lake at 2000m-ish isn’t frozen over now :

Looking up at Hornberg at about 1100 hrs .. some of those trax are mine ( the wiggly ones where someone has obviously fallen over !)

PS .. My shirt is Black ..... just in case !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hate Chelski .. and why the Montgolfiers are a menace to skiers
Date : Jan 24th 2008
Weather : Beautiful Blue Skies , freezing around 1000m , surprisingly warm at higher altitudes
Snow Coverage ; Still plenty, the powder isn’t tracked out but probably will b by tomorrow,..
Snow Conditions :Beautiful powder and soft snow at 200m, even the loer slopes seemed in better shape than yesterday
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-St Stephan GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Forgot the machine .. rather forgotto switch it on … idiot
Runs Completed One Excellent one
Cost of Living Found a beer for chf 2 .90– result!

I must have been hard on the conditions yesterday as today was simply stunning. I can’t remember a day when clarity was so good .. everything looked like the Alps should … beautiful.

The snow conditions were absolutely superb; perhaps it was having my Ski instructress with me gave me a bit more confidence but we skied across to St Stephan from Saanenmoser twice and over to Zweisimmen and everything seemed to be in tip-top condition. I hope it stays like this for a few days ..

I’ve been struggling with my short-turns .. in fact they’ve been absolutely diabolical , worse than useless and unworthy of a 3rd-day beginner. I have no idea why, I’d got what easiski had been teaching me and my long turns were Ok ( ish) but I was just in a mess on the short ones. Thankfully my instructress sorted the problem out ( in theory) today .. I’ve been trying to initiate the turn a bit early apparently … seemed to have got it , we’ll see over the next few days.

Haut-Lac were back in force on the slopes today …. I know folks moan about ESF here, but whoever’s kids these are beware … we counted 13 with 1 instructor today !! The other group only had 9 …. That’s assuming these Brits are ski instructors of course ! Wink

Fascinating thing I’ve noticed is the standard of Boarding and the etiquette here. Very few ‘Seal Colonies’ and none of the stupidity you occasionally see … in fact to date ( touch wood) much better behaved than the skiers.

Today’s pictures:

First couple are looking over towards Lenk from St Stephan if I remember correctly .

The slope is straight down towards the people in the bottom left …. A real fun-run:

This is my ski instructor posing in front of a mountain. She’s yet another blooming pixie who takes ‘no crap’ …..….But a lot more scenic than following Charlatanefc down the piste…

As if I don’t have enough problems avoiding pixie boarders and their ilk these guys have been around all week …. This is taken from the apartment about 1530 hrs , obviously trying to land ..

but only about 200 metres from an operating chairlift

…. Must be sponsored by BA.
ski holidays
Any advice here is purely amateur and worthless
Date : Jan 26th/27th/28th 2008
Weather : Beautiful Blue Skies , freezing around 2000m , surprisingly warm at higher altitudes
Snow Coverage ; Since Friday the snow has been disappearing at an alarming rate … although conditions generally superb , yesterday all turned to mush by midday
Snow Conditions :Absolutely gorgeous on piste although off is generally now tracked-out
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-St Stephan-schonried-Wispile GSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : About 80kms I would guess
Runs Completed One Excellent run yesterday
Cost of Living Too expensive to eat and drink here!

I hadn’t posted for a long time – mainly because nothing much seems to have changed neither to the weather nor my skiing . Both being a little disappointing frankly.

The snow conditions have been absolutely brilliant in the mornings , but by midday many runs have become unseasonably choppy and yesterday had some greenery visible on some isolated pistes .... and yesterday they definitely turned to mush at midday . The cause of the problem has been the unseasonably sunny and warmth ….. it was 6 degrees at 1300m yesterday at midday. Thankfully this won’t last and after a colder night it has been snowing all morning.

It still isn’t ‘cold’ and hopefully things will get much colder over the coming days , which, with another top up on the snow would be very much appreciated.

Having been struggling with my short-turns, skiing with Missus-A over the weekend seemed to solve the problem. Its very strange but 3 instructors had all told me that ‘I wasn’t finishing my turns’, having now cracked it ( in my head) , I would suggest that the problem was that I was starting them too early !!

However in my lesson yesterday back came the same problem ( and even leaning back as an added dimension!!). I was rebuked for throwing my ski poles away ( Note to other bad-arsed kids, get carbon poles, they don’t fly as far). Who said this skiing lark was easy ?? !!

I’ve been having great fun learning Swiss-German expressions … shame is my German is so bad that I have to ask in English what things mean ….. but I have some killer new bits of the local lingo !

The only infuriating bit has been the number of kids out on the slopes. This Haut-Lac mob are an International school in Vevey …… well I can tell the parents that their kids are right little terrors --- especially on the trains. Another great advert for British and American youth …. Thankfully some Swiss-French kids as well.

Rather than the usual ‘snowy slopes’ I’ve got some photos from yesterday … deliberately showing some of the South-facing non-skiing slopes and how the sun has burned the snow away.

South facing hills devoid of snow:

the stream, no longer frozen over with Eglli-Rubeldorf behind

Gstaad’s bit of Austrian ‘castle, note the dry roads … Gornerat slopes in the background …
snow report
Sat 8th Fefruary 0800 hrs.

Started raining about 10 pm last night, turned to snow and still snowing ... about 30 cms at 1000m so far .. Bridges here we go !!
snow report
Of Blue Skies and Group Lessons .. I’m Alive
Date : Feb 4th-15th 2008
Weather : Beautiful Blue Skies
Snow Coverage ; Well everything is still open
Snow Conditions :Absolutely gorgeous on piste, although off is generally now tracked-out
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-St Stephan-schonried-Wispile –Rellerli-WaasangratGSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Not as many as I should have
Runs Completed One Excellent run on the 8th February
Cost of Living Group Lessons – CHF 220 for 5 x 2 hrs

I hadn’t posted for a long time this is totally down to my laziness and the limited amount of skiing that I’ve done due to it being half term in my defence. Rubbish .. I’ve just been lazy and had few photos .. or at least new views to show.

Snow Conditions
I’m delighted that snow conditions are still brilliant down to 1000m despite the lack of any new snow. The week before last was rather worrying as the temperatures were climbing and by mid-afternoon spring snow and ‘slush’ were evident … and given I hate artificial snow when it ‘melts’, I avoided each and every afternoon. The last week has been significantly better though … temperatures have dropped considerably by night and yesterday was very cold all day. This has made for great snow conditions and less of the dreaded porridge or whatever melting artificial snow is called.
All of this under bright blue skies has made for stunning ski conditions …. Shame about it being 1/2 term really … quite a lot of people on the slopes …. Although the longest I have had to wait even for the ‘busiest’ lifts has been 5 minutes.
It would be brilliant to have some new snow … but even if there weren’t any it seems clear to me that – as long as temps don’t rise – the resort will stay open easily until end of March. Yes, there are some bare patches; yes, there are some icy and ‘scrapey’ bits but all respect to the ‘Pisteurs’ for keeping the resort in such great shape.

Installation Problems
The biggest problem that the resort/(s) has had has been the lift system. The Chaltebrunne link was lost for nearly 10 days following the ‘2-man’ – link ‘jumping’ its runners. Allegedly it is the same style / type as the Wengen accident early this year … and there was no wind here. It was shut for safety tests ( because of Wengen) but reopened yesterday. This was a terrible shame for visitors last week as this is/was a very important link between Saanenmoser and St Stephan --- and the alternative ‘transport’ was non-existent ! The other problem was in the busy Wispile area as the Gondola broke down (again ) stranding Sixty ( yes, 60) non-skiers up the mountain. Helicoptered or Snowmobiled down – one-way to get a cheap ride !! … 2 Days lost.

Gstaad Clientele
Remember Taki ( Theodoracopulos)? Well he lives around here and writes for a local publication. Caused a few problems with some attacks on the new ‘Russian’ clientele. No time for the man’s background or his politics ( think 1950s AA Gill, if you’ve never heard of him) but I do find his writings absorbing and gunny.

Half-term crowds have not been as bad as I feared. The families who have arrived have replaced all the International school kids etc. who arrive by train seemingly daily from all of the Vaud and BO …. Queues just haven’t been bad and some of the more difficult/colder slopes have been relatively empty.

Future of the Ski Resort.
The area has just published its plan for future investment – and amazingly ( to my mind) they intend to close one area ( Rellerli – presumably as it suffers from the sun more than most) whilst improving but reducing the installations in a number of other places.
It also refers to the fact that over the last 5 years the area has invested in snowmaking rather than installations as its original 2003 plan intended.

While the benefits may be evident it explains why Swiss resorts seem so ‘backward’ compared to France. ‘Bean-counters’ will call it prudence , but I do hope Swiss resorts invest in both snowmaking and installations. Frankly this area , the Jungfrau and the 4 Vallees are ‘behind’ imho.

Adult Group Lessons
I decided to enrol for Adult Group Lessons. I’ve said before I don’t like skiing alone , and was wary of the half-term crowds arriving.
What a Mistake.
The ski school said it would be an ‘Intermediate’ class. I was worried whether I would be good enough , so asked the young lady who had given me a lesson. She advised’ no problem’ although the school said there would be 2 teachers ( if enough numbers) so the class would be split.
I wasn’t aware the term ‘intermediate’ meant ‘Ability to Snowplough ..Just’ … but apparently it does to many Brits and even a Swiss person. The term is ridiculous … it’s about time the National authorities developed consistent definitions and the term ‘Beginner’ expanded to avoid events like that ..

Day 1 was OK as there were 2 others of a similar level ( although I thought less able) but they only wanted to do a Day ….. Day 2 I skied off as the reformed group was only 4 people …. And so the week went on ….

I have No problem skiing with folks of lesser current attainment. Indeed I will actively seek out opportunities as better skiers have been so kind to me. But bug if I’m going to pay for the privilege.

Looks like I’m going to have to go to France and the UK for the next couple of weeks so very few days skiing for me between now and Wengen. Shame.

Some Photos:-

2 reasons for this photo which was taken by accident . Firstly I want to sew together that matching 2-piece for a ‘Bash’ competition .. and secondly did the hair man … better be careful in the ‘schuss’ !

Gstaad from Rellerli ..
Who needs to go to Wengen? Spot the Jungfrau , again taken from Rellerli:-
Gstaad and Wispile behind (favoured area for beginners) :-
snow conditions
Very informative as usual
snow report
so which airport do I fly to?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Denver ... allegedly the best place to ski in the world .... wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Perhaps I never have said how to get here by Public Transport.
-Fly to Geneva
-Train from Geneva airport to Montreux ( 1 hr - ish)
-Change onto 'GoldenPass' train ... Chateau d'Oex, Rougemont, Saanen( me), Gstaad, Schonried, Saanenmoser, Zweizimmen are towns/stations 50 -75 mins from Montreux. All access ski lifts which are part of Gstaad 'Super-ski'.
snow report
Agenterre, when will it be safe for me to do a cheeky weekend out there? i.e. when do the kids leave and the busy period finish and how long thereafter before the snowline rises above what is reasonable for a good ski holiday? genuine question
ski holidays
rayscoops- I'd guess the first week/end in March when the European hols finish
latest report
kitenski, is that the last weekend of reasonable skiing too? Shocked or so I have a bit more of a window to plan my trip?
latest report
honestly I couldn't say, I've had great holidays right thru the end of April, you may get fresh snow, you may get slush, you may get both!! I couldn't comment on that particular area as to how well it holds snow through April.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy