Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to stay in Wengen?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, i think a few people on here may know a bit about Wengen and its surrounding areas Smile

myself, and Mrs Jonr are off to Wengen in mid january, somewhere around the 20th, and we aren't sure where to stay

we aren't bothered too much about the cost, we want more in the way of convenience, can anyone suggest a well located and nice hotel?

I've seen the Silberhorn, Wengenerhof and Sunstar all listed in brochures, they look good, does anyone have any experience of them?

thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not stayed in any of the hotels mentioned, but they all look okay. The Silberhorn and Sunstar both have nice lounge bars.

The Victoria Lauberhorn is where we stayed for the MSB last year (and are returning this year). Can recommed that!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.wengen.com/locwec.html#village_map for the locations.

Hirschen and Brunner are the closest thing to ski-in-ski-out there is in Wengen. (They are along the path back to town)
Falken is sortof ski-out (its on top of the nursery)

I'd prolly do Falken (convenient, hear good things about them) or the Victoria Lauberhorn (has by far the best wellness watery things in town, open to the public too. Its the home of the MSB organised by admin (admin of the forum))
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JONR, If top class food was the most important thing then you would have to consider the Alpenrose which is a down the hill which can be a bit of a trial coming up in the morning although they will provide a lift up the hill if requested. If you wish to be in the centre of the village with a nice swimming pool and 40 metres from the Cablecar and a bar that every body calls in for a drink during the week then the Sunstar is a good choice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JONR, If top class food was the most important thing then you would have to consider the Alpenrose which is a down the hill which can be a bit of a trial coming up in the morning although they will provide a lift up the hill if requested. If you wish to be in the centre of the village with a nice swimming pool and 40 metres from the Cablecar and a bar that every body calls in for a drink during the week then the Sunstar is a good choice. The food in the Sunstar is quite good as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
excellent, thanks for the advise so far. i think location of hotel and quality is key to us. it would also have to be in a uk brochure for a package, we aren't the best at independant travel! i think that rules out the alpenrose
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JONR, Indepentant travel to Wengen is very easy . The Sunstar can be booked on the net, if you stay for seven nights as part of their deal they will provide a return rail ticket. The railways stations at Geneva and Zurich is under the Airport and the flights can be booked on line.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've stayed in the Hirschen. Fairly basic but very welcoming.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JONR, honestly - independent is easy ! Flight to any Swiss airport and train (excellent and easy to change) book direct ! Go on you know you want to !

You wont find the VL in a TO brochure by the way but its definitely worth the extra. Be careful as in some hotels your bathroom maybe shared and on another floor !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JONR, Also as a Idepentent you can in low season in Wengen arrive and leave on any day of the week you choose.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JONR, go independent. We'll talk you through every step of the journey. It really is easy.

1) Find hotel you like, check availability.
2) Find and book a flight to Basel, Berne, Geveva or Zurich airport
3) Purchse a Swiss Transfer Ticket http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/Ticket_purchase.6.0.html?&L=2
4) Check your travel details http://www.sbb.ch/en/
5) Enjoy your trip
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok you've persuaded me! i'll check out flights and will email a couple of hotels to see if they have availability - how do you go about ski hire? i assume lift passes can be purchased in resort
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lift passes can be bought at the train station. Ski hire is available from Central Sport which is on the main street, right by the mannlichen lift.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Lift passes can be bought at the train station. Ski hire is available from Central Sport which is on the main street, right by the mannlichen lift.

lift passes can also be done in central sport except the photo ones, anything over 6 days I think that is.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, I don't think we allow pimping on snowheads wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:

hardy har har, there are other centrally located sport shops. NehNeh
ski holidays
I must confess that I wasn't aware that lift passes could be bought there.
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:

Toofy Grin
snow report
There's not much you can't do there, I've only worked 4 days and spent over a grand Laughing
snow report
stab, Are you working in a hire place? Have you got any Scott Missions to hire out? I would have bought some by now except that I fear they will be too much for me.

snowHead
snow conditions
I;ll find out, how long?
latest report
I think they were 179s I was trying at MK. Thanks.

snowHead
latest report
Central Sport also do a quick excellent ski service as myself, Snowbird and Linds found out after last seasons MSB ! One hour service.
latest report
stab, You only need a photo if your lift pass is more than nine days. Also some of the hotels will get your pass for you if no photo is needed.
snow report
In fact the hotels often do a deal involving accomodation and lift passes
latest report
d g orf, and others,

thanks for the help so far, i've got the silberhorn to do me a deal that includes lift pass and half board and it works out about 25% cheaper than doing it with a tour operator, and because i get to organise my own flights and train transfer i don't have to go through the package holiday cattle herding experience

thanks to all for pointing out the independant way!
snow conditions
JONR, enjoy your stay, when will you come to the village?
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
stab, Are you working in a hire place? Have you got any Scott Missions to hire out? I would have bought some by now except that I fear they will be too much for me.

snowHead

yes we do, 178s with a picture of jesus on them, quite a fat ski, was expecting some noncy carving thing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If they don't have quite a high nonce rating I might find them tough. If there is any snow, I might well fancy scrambling around on some for a day. Poncy carvers might also be in the frame! Thanks.

Not sure about the picture of Jesus though.......

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy