Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Straps for skis/baskets for poles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm wondering about a couple of things to reduce the potential for trauma (emotional) when skiing off-piste in deep powder . I've seen bladers and boarders using straps to minimise the risk of losing kit - can these be used for skis? I would be devastated to lose one of my beloved Attivas in several feet of powder. Also, can one/should one get bigger baskets for powder work? If so, can they be bought as detachable items one can affix to poles when required? Thanks! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vetski, Try this thread for thoughts on something that the folks round here call powder ribbons - I remember about them because when the discussion started I enquired what they were - from the way they are described they might be what you need.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=786114&highlight=powder+ribbons#786114

As for the baskets on the poles, I asked about baskets once and was told that you have bigger baskets for powder, as to whether they are an accesory that you can change on a regular basis the others will have to tell you. When I bought poles the baskets came separately and I had to attach them, but it wasn't an easy job, and I think my standard baskets would be difficult to remove and refit regularly without damaging them if I wanted to. However the powder skiers here will probably have some suggestions
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vetski, you can two things fo r keeping track of skis in deep powder. Powder leashes essentially tie your binding and your leg together, with enough slack for the ski to come off when necessary. These are generally not advised by guides though, as if you are caught in an avalanche the ski hanging off your leg will make it harder for you to swim to the surface and will drag you under. If you have a big fall they may also flap about and smack you in the face etc. The preferred solution is powder traces, which are long (2-3m) bits of ribbon that you attach to your binding and stuff up your trouser leg. If your ski comes off the ribbon unfurls and (you hope) has part of it on the surface so you can trace down to the buried ski. The main problem is if you are using bubbles a lot then it's a real faff gathering up the the long bits of ribbon each time you take the lift.

You definitely can get powder baskets, and they make a huge difference. Whether your exising baskets are detachable or not depends on the pole - those on cheaper poles are probably not detachable, but more expensive one tend to be. On mine the attachments are just ridged plastic, so I heat them up (dunk in hot water) and then a bit of brute force and ignorance does the trick. Some others have screw threads. The easiest solution is to have two sets of poles, one for piste work and one for powder/offpiste.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 14-12-07 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, thanks for this - it's always easier to buy something when you know what it's supposed to be called! I shall begin online investigations immediately. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, Glad that I've provided something useful - note above from GrahamN, that they also seem to go by the name 'powder traces' too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, the thread you sent me had a link to Snow & Rock, which calls them powder traces and sells them at 8.99 - bargain, beats having to fork out £500 for a new pair of skis!

GrahamN, looks like you know what you're talking about powder-wise - I read somewhere once that it's a good idea to use slightly shorter poles than usual when skiing steep and deep - would you agree? I guess it's to help you keep your weight forward?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vetski, possibly shorter for deep, but I wouldn't have thought so for steep. The other large off-piste subdivision is touring, where the suggestion is maybe they should be a bit longer. That all seems a bit of a faff to me, so I always stick to the same length wherever I ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
GrahamN
the other large off-piste subdivision is touring, where the suggestion is maybe they should be a bit longer

It's a great help to have adjustable poles, such as these for touring - when you're skinning diagonally uphill you can have one set longer for the downhill side of the track & one set shorter for the uphill side, and swap the poles just before you kick-turn when zig-zaging. For skating on the flat, they're great to use set as long as possible (like x-c racers use) - the rest of the time you can chose the length that suits you.
They supposedly double up as potential avalanche probes, but this should not be a substitute for real avvy-probes, as they would not be long enough etc

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a set of BD carbon adjustable after demoing some last year courtesy of the BD test centre. The have a flick lok system...which can be screw-tightened and are the best adjustables I have found. The twist lok ones from other pole makers seem more suitable for walking poles, IMV The BD carbons will take the weight of a pole plant and they have screw-in backets with a duel ice and deep snow facility. I also brought a few replacements that I can whack on if I lose them. So, pretty pleased all round with these well thought through pole, IMO
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy