Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on Ice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton wrote:
Most people above are advocating trying to grip the ice, which is a perfectly reasonable tactic.

An alternative tactic is to do exactly the opposite - widen your stance, flatten your skis completely, have your weight evenly distributed, keep turning, but keeping the skis completely flat - with no edging at all. That way you're using the friction of the base to provide some speed control. The more you keep the skis turning the better your speed control will be.

Probably the best is trying to grip for half a second. If you feel any resistance, go on.
If not, widen your stance, flatten your skis and avoid any unstability. Keep upright.
This works only if you see a chance for any slowing down ahead.

If not, lie down on your chest slowly with your feet downhill.
Grasp one pole 10-20cm from its sharp tip with both hands and scratch as strong as possible.
The pole tip is slightly above your shoulder.

Do not lose the other pole during this operation. You may need it later.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom from Austria wrote:
..... lie down on your chest slowly with your feet downhill.
Grasp one pole 10-20cm from its sharp tip with both hands and scratch as strong as possible.

Helpful advice but a bit extreme Shocked Shocked.

I'd hope this approach is only required after the 'skiing on ice' has deteriorated into 'sliding on my @rse'. Unless this is a technique used to get the best out of Rax skis Confused Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:
..... lie down on your chest slowly with your feet downhill.

Helpful advice but a bit extreme Shocked Shocked.

I'd hope this approach is only required after the 'skiing on ice' has deteriorated into 'sliding on my @rse'. Unless this is a technique used to get the best out of Rax skis Confused Shocked Laughing

Has nothing to do with the gear hanging on your feet.
Skis have no function at such a moment.
Poles saved my life 2 to 3 times in icy chutes.

Any other rescue possibility, AxsMan ?
Just tell me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom from Austria, Well I was kind of thinking of staying on my skis, and er, skiing? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My tips for ice are if a relative beginner just slide/skid across it until you reach better snow, and if more advanced, try to feel yourself gingerly rolling onto your edges at the start of the turn or you'll have missed the chance to get onto them until the end of the turn!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

ice? Don't worry about it - just drift over it as quickly as poss - don't try and turn on it!

This sums up my view; accept you cannot steer and you cannot brake.
Mick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy