Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 10 reasons why Dry Slopes Suck

Poster: A snowHead
1. if you want to try to carve you have to sharpen your skis after every session
2. you have to wax your skis after every session
3. if you fall it hurts like h3ll and you break thumbs, fingers and end up with scrapes the size of dinner plates
4. it is best done in the rain, who likes skiing in the rain
5. Your skis are quickly destroyed from over tuning
6. the rental equipment available is usually out of the ark and falling to bits
7. you have to drive home afterwards, so missing out on Apres ski drinkin
8. You are in England, not the mountains
9. in order to race on it you have to apply potions and lotions to stand any chance of doing well
10. Fill in you own Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Off Piste is the grass. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10. It's like non-alchoholic beer - just not right
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
theyre brilliant as a complete begginer IMHO. Getting use to putting skis and boots on and then mastering snowplough.

needs to be done before you start skiing on snow in my opinion. You have a much better holiday and progress much quicker.

It is horrible in comparison to snow.

Soon as you've been on snow, it is a waste of time and horrible.

I have to agree with the comment made about breaking fingers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the end of March I would have been on 4 skiing holidays this season. That leaves 48 weeks out of the rest of the year where real snow isn't an option.

I know there are a lot of other sports out there to do but I quite like skiing.

Skiing on plastic isn't the same as skiing on snow but how is it ever going to be? I'm sure if it was, some of them low alpine resorts would be covered in the stuff.

Plastic slopes are a bit like Bernard Mathews Turkey Role. It doesn't taste anything like turkey but instead has a flavour all of it's own! Perhaps an acquired taste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I learnt from the age of 8 on dry slopes ans still enjoy them. Ok, so it isn't snow, it isn't much like snow, it rains, it's Britain....but it is still skiing, you can still improve, you can still train, you can still get a rush from it.

Am with krekeg, on this one.

Is it similar to someone who won't go skiing because of the cold/whiteout/ice/slush etc..?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I actually quite like skiing in slush too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christopher wrote:
theyre brilliant as a complete begginer IMHO. Getting use to putting skis and boots on and then mastering snowplough.

needs to be done before you start skiing on snow in my opinion. You have a much better holiday and progress much quicker.

It is horrible in comparison to snow.

Soon as you've been on snow, it is a waste of time and horrible.

Sorry, but I disagree thoroughly.

It isn't nearly as good as skiing on snow of course. But it is not a waste of time, nor (IME) is it "horrible".

And for those of us who only get to ski in the mountains for 1-2 weeks per year, and don't live close enough to indoor snow to be worthwhile, they are better than nothing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

.....and don't live close enough to indoor snow to be worthwhile, they are better than nothing.

Neat summary and very true Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are better than nothing. I see them as another just another surface - one which practicing technique is what you do on it. I used to go to Sanddown a lot, which was then tiny, but I learnt a lot there and had a good time. Trouble is, I love the mountains, the snow, the atmostphere, the holiday etc All of which you don't get at a dry slope. But like most I'm too far from mountains to enjoy them on a regular basis. Then again, perhaps that's the apeal of them?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:

Me Sir Toofy Grin

Well, if its cold, dark and raining anyway and I want to get outdoors for a bit, then plastic skiing is a decent option. I doubt there are any here who would choose it over a snowy piste on a sunny day though...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

for those of us who only get to ski in the mountains for 1-2 weeks per year

Probably most of us Sad

It reminds you that you actually can ski - especially useful as the season approaches and you start to wonder whether you've lost it.

But personally, I'd rather travel 2 hours to a snowdome (Tamworth in my case) than 1 hour to a dry slope (Gloucester) - I suspect the equipment is better, you don't get rained on, and there's a good bar/cafe for a drink. A couple of mid-week trips off-season (June/September) when it's not school holidays works pretty well. I had the Tamworth slope to myself for 40 minutes one Wednesday morning in September Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Again, for those of us who don't get lots of trips to the mountains, dry slope is better than nothing. I now live next door to the new indoor snow place in Manchester but it's still cheaper for me to go race training every week on the dry slope than to go there a couple of times a month. Personally I want to do some racing as I didn't get the opportunity when i was younger, and I get the opportunity to do that on plastic. Very Happy

so if you are a skiing junkie like me but can't afford to go to the mountains more than once a year, and particularly if you love having the opportunity to race train and compete then dry slopes are great. Also from the point of view of my OH who had his first skiing experience last year on snow, he loves going to the dry slope to practice the basics and has improved since so won't spend first few days of next holiday having to remember how these planks on your feet work!
Different things for different people - some people can afford lots of trips to the mountains (which I'm sure we all agree is where we would ideally do all of our skiing if we were so lucky! Very Happy ), some are happy to go to a snowdome occasionally, or can afford to go regularly, and some don't live near a snowdome, or can't afford to go often and so choose to go to a dryslope. They are not at all a waste of time - if anyone thinks that regular race training every week on plastic makes my skiing worse then I have many, many witnesses other than myself that will tell you the complete opposite is true. Also, for our young, up and coming racers, plastic racing is still currently the most readily available and affordable point of entry to the system... many of the current members of all levels of the GB team started their careers on plastic, so it definitely has it's place in the grand scheme of things Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know a racer who refuses to ski on snow, only dryslope.

Sigh..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spikyhedgehog, really?? now that is VERY odd. does he/she have an opportunity to get onto snow?

come on all, lets not defend it, I have a go myself from time to time but there has to be more reasons why dry slopes suck Laughing

have to say Boris wins the prize for #10 so far
snow report
Points to consider when contemplating a trip to your local dryslope

1. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
2. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
3. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
4. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
5. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
6. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
7. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
8. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
9. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
10.. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
99. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
100. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
101+ what skimottaret said (and not all of those are negatives either Wink )
snow conditions
GrahamN, my kebab shop is 10 minutes away, cheap and open everyday but it still sucks Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, but I bet you keep going there wink
snow report
Kebabs are like Bernard Mathews Turkey Roles.... actually I won't go there!

Funnily enough I more often than not grab a kebab on the way home from the Dryslope on Wednesday nights.

102. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year and the Kebab shop is on the way home.
ski holidays
martski, i sure do and i get the same queasy feeling afterwards just like the dry slope Laughing
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
I know a racer who refuses to ski on snow, only dryslope.

Sigh..

yeah, that's weird! I would love to race on snow given the opportunity - or, to put it more bluntly, the money! Very Happy
snow report
But dry a slope is good for skiers who

(1) afraid of height

(2) confused by the different choices of cable cars, Godolas and chairlifts.

(3) prefer to be alone and hate a conversation with fellow skiers when ascending a slope

(4) believe their arxe are set on fire when carried up by chairlift fitted with heated seats.

(5) are colour blind and couldn't tell a green slope from a black one.

(6) have an issue with mogols.

(7) able to claim being an expert skier without having anything to do with snow.

(Cool has graduated from the games Arcade coin-fed skiing machine.
snow conditions
( 9 ) Enjoys skiing enough that once all the snow has been 'withdrawn', is happy to carry on the cause on whatever surface is available. Perhaps dryslope skiers are just keener than those that knock it Puzzled
latest report
skimottaret, Given up yet?
ski holidays
martski, only on technical discussions, not on having a bit of fun on a friday Laughing actually going telemark skiing in the snowdome tomorrow so life is good and if i wasnt going indoors i might have actually gone down to the dry slope....

# 13 the "snow" is usually a weird yellow or blue colour from people pouring dishwasher liquid and god knows what else onto the plastic so you can actually ski on it....

#14 skiing on plastic is like drinking cod liver oil, horrible but good for you.
snow report
Quote:
#14 skiing on plastic is like drinking cod liver oil, horrible but good for you.
He's on the turn!
ski holidays
krekeg, no im not drinking cod liver oil sucks as well
ski holidays
#15 instead of a getting a tan when you ski on plastic you get burn scars when you fall over

where is whitegold when you need him
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, 16 Dry slopes are usually in the dodgy part of town where you can get your car broken into whilst abusing bits of your anatomy.
But for all that, I am still looking forward to tonight's timed slalom as much as i am the next tele session tomorrow!
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
Points to consider when contemplating a trip to your local dryslope

1. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
2. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
3. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
4. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
5. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
6. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
7. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
8. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
9. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
10.. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
99. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
100. It's skiing, 10 minutes away, cheap, and open 360+ days a year
101+ what skimottaret said (and not all of those are negatives either Wink )

It's Skiing, 15 minutes away, open 360+ days a year and I get paid to be there. Very Happy
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
9. in order to race on it you have to apply potions and lotions to stand any chance of doing well

People spend a fair bit of time preparing skis for snow races too.
ski holidays
Surely hoovers suck ?

Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

It's Skiing, 15 minutes away, open 360+ days a year and I get paid to be there.

dont remind me at least you get paid at hemel Evil or Very Mad

rjs, this is all just a bit of tongue in cheek... ONe positive i will concede is that on plastic you can actually have a go at gates when you want not like in tignes where the race courses are shut 4 out of 5 days. Laughing
ski holidays
personally i would rather not bother, it's not what skiing is about.
snow report
Hmmmm!
skimottaret wrote:
1. if you want to try to carve you have to sharpen your skis after every session

Nonsense, I rarely sharpen my edges and carve away every week at Gloucester, amongst other things.

It's the racers that sharpen their edges all the time and I suspect you might find those who race seriously on snow sharpen their edges rather a lot too.
Quote:
2. you have to wax your skis after every session

To be honest it's more use waxing before sessions Toofy Grin

Seriously though, yes you have to wax a bit more than on snow but if you use dedicated plastic wax, like the Data stuff, it lasts well and these days I tend to iron in wax every 2/3 weeks and rub on in between and this is on brand new skis - my old pair were fine with even less waxing, I only retired them because all the training on plastic has improved my technique to the stage where I found them way too soft Very Happy
Quote:
3. if you fall it hurts like h3ll and you break thumbs, fingers and end up with scrapes the size of dinner plates

I'll give you that, at least the hurts like hell bit and yes beginners and those who don't know any better do tend to grab at the matting if they fall and that sometimes leads to nasty finger injuries.
Quote:

Me NehNeh Razz

Not strictly true though, it's great on frosty days/evenings/nights too - if anything better than in the rain!
Quote:
5. Your skis are quickly destroyed from over tuning

Not necessarily, I know racers who sharpen their edges all the time and their skis last 6 months but I've been using my old pair of skis for a year and a half on dry (and in domes and on mountains...)
Quote:
6. the rental equipment available is usually out of the ark and falling to bits

Agreed, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole but I know instructors who habitually use hire skis and still ski very well on them.
Quote:
7. you have to drive home afterwards, so missing out on Apres ski drinkin

Doesn't bother me and I usually grab a glass of wine when I get home anyway Very Happy

Same could be said about snowdomes and anyone driving for a day at a Scottish resort.
Quote:
8. You are in England, not the mountains

Ah well, I'm with you there... as a ex pat Scot being in England is always a downer Wink
Quote:

A bit of polish suffices I believe!
Quote:
10. Fill in you own Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

None from me Razz NehNeh

When I head off to the snow I don't have any first/second day problems or any aches and pains because I ski all the time and train weekly, I improve year round and that pays off when I head off for the real stuff. I'm lucky in as far as I manage maybe 4 weeks (or more) of snow skiing in a season but I know I wouldn't have improved as much as I have if I didn't ski regularly all year round. If you guys want to miss out on that then your choice... I'm sure us dry slope people will try not to be too smug... honest Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret, I don't ski on plastic anymore mainly because I have two snowdomes nearby and the main dry slopes are not well maintained. I learned on plastic (and in Scotland) though and roga's experience is much the same as mine.

I got a course set this afternoon on the main Lognan stade in Val Claret, it is a little bit steeper than Rosolin and brought me back to reality. You were unlucky with the weather, I have never known the glacier to be shut for that long.
snow report
Skiing on plastic snow is like making love to a plastic woman.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Skiing on plastic snow is like making love to a plastic woman.

Not really enjoyable, but good for your technique?

Wink
ski holidays
I quite enjoy skiing on the dry slope Toofy Grin
snow conditions
1 Reason: 'Hillend Thumb' is an official medical condition
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy