Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone tell me anything about Chamrousse please...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I know next to nothing about Chamrousse, except that it's fairly small and has some amazingly cheap late season deals that a mate has just told me about.

Seems that the village is around 1700 and the skiing varies from 1400 to 2250. I was in Chamonix last easter and found stacks of snow (relatively of course, not the best season ever eh?). Le Tour was only around 2200/2300 IIRC, so it suggests that 2250 may not be too bad

As it stands, I may not get the chance to ski at all this season, but if Chamrousse has a decent chance of some late season snow (were talking into April here) than I may be able to grab a cheap end of season trip after all.

Not fussed about apres (there would be a group of us and can make a party anywhere) and don't need a million km of piste, but has anyone got any info they could share, especially late season stuff.

Many thanks in advance - this could could be the difference between hitting the snow late, or not at all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
do a forum search on snowheads - there have been major problems in Chamrousse and there's been quite a lot of discussion since the lift company went bust.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks pam w, seems that Lizzard and Easiski crop up a fair bit on that quick search, hopefully they will be along at some point with some up to date info. In the mean time, I think I'll email the TO. Thanks again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at this a bit more today, assuming that the lift co is still running (?) there are some pretty cheap flights from Bournemouth to Grenoble at the mo.

Anyone have any idea of car hire places at Grenoble? Easyjet seem to have a fairly good deal, or is there an easy transfer service? Would I need a car in resort?

Too many questions, sorry!

TIA
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMT,
Davidoff is the Chamrousse local, he will be able to give good advice on likely conditions.
If he doesn't pitch up as someone who has never been there I would be pretty chary about taking a late holiday there booking well in advance.
It is on the west edge of the alps and 2250m is not a great height. Although you will almost certainly have snow the quality in a warm year might be very poor or deteriorate quickly.
If the offer is the £85 one which excludes transport, I reckon if you take a car you can get decent skiing and cheap accommodation for not much more than an extra £20-30 per head if there are several of you.

PS
This also excludes the cost of travel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, Yeah it was that cheap one. I've looked at the driving option, but the tunnel seems to be around £150 or more + fuel and tolls could make it pricey. There will be a min of 5 of us, flights from Bmth (10-15 mins from my house) are around £67 each.

I know what you mean about the late snow, but Chamonix was bloody warm in April this year and we had a cracking time. Is the western alps that much different?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMT, I booked a car via holiday autos from Grenoble in November, they were fine
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 14-12-07 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMT,
Le Tour is at the end of a fairly steep sided valley and holds it's snow very well. I actually drove past it in April this year and the snow looked a lot better than inSwitzerland where I came from. Try PM'ing Davidoff for more accurate ideas of Chamrousses snow but having driven passed that area I would doubt that it is anything like as good as Le Tours on average.
My point about driving was not so much about from UK as when you get there. You can get great deals on accommodation that are outwith the resorts and drive to the resorts. A lift pass that gives you a day in any 5 Maurienne resorts 5 out of 6 days has to be different resorts costs €78 an extra day in one of the cheaper ones will add maybe 10-15 Euros, you get a lot of extra height and variety and can almost certainly get accommodation at under €50 per head late season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, Fair point, Le Tour was certainly good last year in April. The cheap £85 deal does include the lift pass, so it really is silly cheap.

Much as I'd like to go earlier and have better snow, this may be the only option for me to ski this season. The option of a week for around £200 including flights, accom and lift pass seems like a better one than not going at all. I guess my only concern is the availability of late snow - who know's the answer to that is anyones guess. Maybe Davidoff will be around soon.

Nick L, Cheers, I'll check it out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone heard from davidof? I PM'd him on Friday morning and nothing....

Or, anyone else help with the above questions/issues?

TO say that the successor to Transmontagne (lift op that went bust) will continue to operate as usual, so I guess that's ok.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMT, Bus service to Chamrouse from Grenoble airport is good and cheap. One from the airport to the bus station and change to another to Chamrouse. Probably about 20 euros return. Check how it fits in with your flights though. Sometime I'm going to spend a few days there and Les Sept Laux perhaps basing myself in Grenoble.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMT, in the absence of any comment from someone with first hand experience of Chamrousse, I can say that although last year was pretty grim by half way through April, we had good skiing at from 1600m - 2000m in the Beaufortain for the previous 5 Aprils. Spring skiing, which is different from January skiing, but well worth having, especially at that bargain price.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Thanks, I agree that Jan skiing is prob my favorite, but spring skiing has it's merits too, especially for Mrs IMT who likes to ski for a couple of hours and then chill out in the mountain sun shine! I assume Beaufortain is in the same area (apologies as I don't know the area well at all)? I think the appt would be at 1750, so I would hope that with the cracking start to the season, mid April might just about be a goer.

Colin B, Thanks also, I'll check that too, just need to decide if I would be better of having a car in resort, or if we can live without one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMT, yes, the Beaufortain is not that far as the crow flies. We do have a very good snow record, as good as places with much better altitude, but these things are very localised and I don't know about Chamrousse snow. But as you say, it's a good start to the season. At that price, even if the snow is a bit questionable, there should be lovely walks and fresh air to be had, long balmy days, sitting in deck chairs....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Cheers again, any info is gratefully received. If you generally have had decent April snow from 1600-2000, then 1750 - 2250 'should' be ok.
latest report
OK, well it looks like this is going to happen - we'll take a punt on the snow front. A bad day on snow sure as hell beats any day at work!

My only issue now is either car hire or transfers. Flight is due in at around 20.00 - quite a few car hire places are not open then, so unable to get quotes other than Hertz etc. Nick L, I've tried them, but they come up with nothing, so I assume that they are shut.

Colin B, I think it's likely to be a bit tight with the flight times, but cheers.

Any one have any idea about a private transfer cost? Or am I better off spending £200 (between 5) on a hire car so we can get about a bit more - thinking of a day in L2A maybe?

Cheers in advance snowHead 's
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy