Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The hardest piste you've ever got down

Poster: A snowHead
Probably not normally a difficult piste, but we once turned onto downhill course at Lake Louise prepared for racing, so was like an ice rink stood on end. All of us went into trees at the other side of the piste. In retrospect should have just gone for it, but when everyone is making a pigs breakfast of getting down including two sons whole are not normally phased by anything it makes you follow suite.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd forgotten about the downhill course, but I still think the picnic-table moguls were more difficult.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riverman wrote:
richjp, I went up the two man jump in enclosed bucket lift two years ago as part of a walking holiday in the Dolimites. We walked down the other side from the lift and it was a long steep walk with as you say lots of big boulders. Iwent back to the area on a ski hol last year and the lift was not working so i think it is just a summer walking lift which may open perhaps for guided parties in the winter.

I did that very same walk two summers ago as well. I was with an activities group called Spice staying in Arabba. I was just wondering if by any chance you were part of that group?

The black ski run however was straight back down the front under the buckets. Thank you for confirming that it is now closed in winter.

I am not surprised!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richjp, I was staying in Arabba but with Colletts Holidays who run very good walking and skiing hols in that area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman wrote:
Knot Chutes in Fernie BC,

First time I did Knot Chutes I was a little nervous but once done I was happy to go back again.

Fell over trying to get into Couloir Extreme and lost a ski. That was a bit of a buttock-clenching moment - didn;t get the compression right and got thrown. Luckily I stopped quickly and so did my ski.

Couloir Extreme though was nothing compared to Spanky's Chute. I've never seen a group of skiiers / boarders so nervous. Survived the chute though and Ruby bowl was excellent fun

http://media.intrawest.com/whistler/flash/spankys/map.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A mogul field in Val Thorens ! Took myself and Snowbird an hour to get down !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the icy black run in L2A (begins with a D!) that runs down into the resort is a pain especially in the afternoon where people of a lesser ability think its a good idea to attempt this icy, steep black in order to beat the lift queues. people sliding down on their bums and faces make it a lot nastier than it is as you have to be very conscious of who is falling over in your path
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman wrote:
richjp, I was staying in Arabba but with Colletts Holidays who run very good walking and skiing hols in that area.

I became aware of Colletts when I was in Arabba, as we ended up talking to some people on one of their groups in a bar one evening.

It certainly is a beautiful area and I am sure I will ski there again one day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just going slightly off the topic of this thread, before I appear to be belittling others I feel it only appropriate to point out that there were several chutes in Whistler that I was offered a chance to ski but refused, notably the Turkey chutes (off harmony express dropping into Harmony bowl) and one of the (triple diamond) chutes off flute nose (I rode the nose instead, it was wonderful), plus things like the cornice on Cockalorum
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting question...

The hardest piste I've found was smething called "Ripcord" (?) in Mount Snow of all places. Steep icy bumps. Yummy.

THe most technically challenging recently was the olympic bumps run in Deer Valley (UT). How those guys manage to race that stuff is amazing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to know there are pistes that remind all you experts what I've felt like on EVERY blue piste I have yet tried - yes, including Xscape! Took an hour to get me down the 1100m of my first blue Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, Thta is one of the good things about skiing.

It doesn't matter what level you are at, there are always runs that are just about at the limit of what you can do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, snowHead - and here's hoping that in 2008 it will no longer be the case that all but beginner runs are at or beyond my limit!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mark_20vt - that black can be horrid!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
guess it was the swiss wall in the Pds area. It was bout 6 years age when i was 11 and i used to be scared standing near the edge beacuase of the way that the run just dissapeared into nothing. somehow a bloke that was staying at the chalet manged to get me onto it and there was no turning back.(now its pretty easy and amazing if theres some powder about 12 turns top to bottom!) Recent difficult run was off the peak chair at whistler one of the first on the left the enterance was a bit dodgy you had to side step with the tips of your skis slightly poking over the edge of a 40-50ft drop Shocked when in the run it was fine though and the conditions are so consistenly soft.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
For me it's got to have been the Grand Couloir in Courchevel (way out of my depth) or the Swiss Wall in the PDS (done very slowly but comformtably after the first very steep bit).

I'm so glad you posted that.. I had a total epic on the GC in March luckily there were a bunch of much better skiers who helped me get my skis back. I managed the traverse at the top ok but lost it at speed on the steep moguls.

Next time I'm totally having that piste
latest report
Helen Beaumont, drop out in saddleback bowl? its sorta 3rd run in from the skiiers right? i guess they are all pretty tough right enough, although i think the far side at sunshine could be more difficult depending on snowconditions-halfhourish hike from the top of the goatseye express!
snow report
Any time I'm skiing in fog so thick that I can't see my skis. It's happened to me in Val D'Isere and Davos.
ski holidays
Any narrow run back to the resort at the end of the day, the one in Verbier to Medran comes to mind from a few hours ago
latest report
Rossfra8, Rossfra8, sounds about right, I couldn't believe how high those moguls were Shocked . I got about 1/3 of the way down, and lost the hubby and kids simply because I couldn't see over the top of some of them. Fortunately they weren't all that icy, unlike the Mens Downhill.
snow conditions
Id like to try the swiss wall in good weather, powder and small moguls

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 16-12-07 19:28; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
The Lauberhorn .... maybe easy for most but more than difficult enough for me thanks!
ski holidays
Vert in La Daille in late april slush as a 2nd trip skier.....anything but 'vert' its the lower portion of a FIS slalom piste if i remember correctly and at the time was a field of enormous slushy moguls being pinged onff them but at the time a total lack of technique and tired legs snowHead
ski holidays
Agenterre, you've put a blue run as your most difficult? wink
snow conditions
At least mine was a double Black diamond. wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, How would I know ? You kept falling over in front of me Toofy Grin
snow report
Agenterre, I think you're mistaking me for someone else Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone done Bouquetin on Mont Chery in Les gets? I did it in good snow but wouldnt like to try it in the ice...

Even in good snow the top section of this is pretty tricky. On my 3rd go down it a couple of years ago I lost a ski, and slid about 200 yards down the slope, which is in full view of the lift Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulmck wrote:
The top pitch of Valentin in L2A in sheet ice conditions, undeniably.

Is the humble Valentin in Les 2 Alpes really so terrific ?
ski holidays
mark_20vt wrote:
the icy black run in L2A (begins with a D!) that runs down into the resort is a pain especially in the afternoon where people of a lesser ability think its a good idea to attempt this icy, steep black in order to beat the lift queues. people sliding down on their bums and faces make it a lot nastier than it is as you have to be very conscious of who is falling over in your path

Do you mean "Diable" or "Super Diable" ? The latter lies above the cabin telepheric but has save landing for those helplessly sliding down. You can see them from the chair lift.
snow report
Ronald wrote:
Stoatsbrother: I won't be happy until I can ski it like one of my swiss coworkers....

Can I help you both somehow ?
Yours
Tom from Austria
latest report
Tom, sorry, I appreciate I'm still a noob around these parts, but surely one spam thread is enough, no? This is a conversation, not a marketing opportunity.
latest report
Cunners wrote:
Tom, sorry, I appreciate I'm still a noob around these parts, but surely one spam thread is enough, no? This is a conversation, not a marketing opportunity.

Sorry, Cunners, but I am discussing about Valentin, Super Diable, etc.
From the top of Super Diable (chair lift's end) you can descend through
Grand Couloir to La Fee. This chute is very selective end of April
when it is icy and full of old avalanches. Has anybody ridden it ?
latest report
Do you mean the "hardest" or most challenging piste to look good on (e.g. bad mogul field) or piste that's most likely to kill you (cliff bands etc)? Smile
snow conditions
Not sure if anyone's said this one before but there's a REALLY REALLY REALLY steep one in Mayrhofen which scared the !*&t out of me! At least it was nice snow, I'd have taken my skis off and slid if it was ice! Does anyone know what its called (sorry if someone said it already)?
latest report
KateF, That would be "HariKiri" I believe.

Supposedly the steepest pisted run in Austria.
snow report
that rings a bell - a slope I'll not be trying again I don't think! Well, at least until I get a bit better!
ski holidays
I would say that in the Espace Killy the Sache is marginally harder than the Face because it is narrower and vulnerable to poor conditions at the steepest bit though is probably not as consistently as steep
ski holidays
The Sache was definitely challenging when I did it - but I've only done it in bad conditions. There's one that goes off the back of La Plagne, up above Aime La Plage that you accessed by a dodgy, windy drag lift that you walk uphill to reach. The piste was about 10 minutes of sheer murder in the biggest bumps I've ever attempted, followed by a 2km ski out on a flat track. Nearly killed me.
ski holidays
Anywhere where my fiance has a bout of the gitters! I had such an experience on Saturday rollerblading - it involved going downhill and not being very good at braking!!! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy