Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World’s first ‘music slope’ on the Planai in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Schladming now has what is being billed as the world’s first ‘music slope’, on the Planai. The slope is over 600m long, beginning shortly below the mountain station (Slope 1a) and ending near the valet station (Planai 6). Different kinds of music, from modern to classical, will be played along the entire run. Apparently, the most up-to-date sound technology has been used. ...Also, at the beginning of the slope, at the Planai Wurlitzer, you can pick your favourite song from a selection of over 10,000. The music slope was opened by the world-famous singer Pink last weekend. Any snowHeads experienced it yet?

See: http://www.planai.com/winter/index_eng_4036_ENG_HTML.php
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds horrible.

I dont mind a bit of music at a mountain bar to guide me in but all the way.

What about the the glorious silence as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Man I hope it doesn't catch on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dreadful idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el Hen, Remember skiing through Plange centre this year and I could hear loud music from somewhere (snow park nearby?). Just wanted to get away from it as quick as possible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's been music on Japanese ski slopes for years - squeaky girlie pop singers blasting out of speakers attached to the lift supports. All part of the Japanese experience, but I can't say I'm a J-pop fan. On the flip side, you REALLY appreciate the glorious silence! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want music, wear I Pod & headphones. Not for me!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oh dear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The fact that it's that ghastly caterwauling harpy Pink that's opened this atrocity says all you need to know about this idea.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pink is(was) a very good singer Missunderstood is a good album. But Yes she has lost it of late.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If she's a good singer I must be a truly terrible listener.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cunners wrote:
The fact that it's that ghastly caterwauling harpy Pink that's opened this atrocity says all you need to know about this idea.

Post of the year!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is a bad idea. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheap and tacky spring to my mind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a confirmed skier to music I prefer my own to whatever a resort chooses to thrust at me. In fact, the first "personal audio" machine I ever bought was one December, Christmas shopping in Singapore, when the appalling Disney style Christmas carols just could not be tolerated for another five minutes. So I got a portable CD player and some good music, and carried on shopping. I don't buy the "music spoils the mountains" line - but other people's music can spoil anything. Background music anywhere - pubs, shops, planes - is grim.
latest report
el Hen, i boarded there two weeks ago,yea it was fine ,bit of a laugh really,people singing to the songs has you go past them,music makes people happy,so for you old farts who doesnt like the idea ,two words ,lighten up,how many skiing holidays will you have before you hang your boots up,so just enjoy it while you can . rolling eyes
ski holidays
Well as long as its on a slope you don't much want to go on (and only 1!) I guess its not a big problem. Guess it depends if the music is to your taste too Wink
snow report
Quote:

Guess it depends if the music is to your taste too

absolutely. So, chris boarder, what if the chosen music was, say, Frank Sinatra (my pet hate) or, say Stockhausen. Or the Mike Sammes Singers?
snow conditions
One of the delights of skiing for me is stopping midway down the piste, and just standing there listening to the complete silence, apart from the crunch of the snow and whooshing as people pass by - never was a truer thing said than silence is golden . Music in the huts, great; music in bars, the norm; music on your own personal player, no probs; music on the dance floor, brilliant; but I want my mountains as natural as possible, peaceful and tranquil unlike the rest of my life. I hope this never catches on! The thought of Girls Aloud or Spice Girls blasting out from loud speakers makes me want to vomit Mad
ski holidays
This is definitely one resort off my hitlist. Instead of one of the 10,000 tunes on their system I wonder if they would allow a request for none at all to be played. If enough people chose that then this awful idea might be stopped before it contaminates other mountains.

Oh, and Chris Boarder, I'm happy to lighten up, and yes as there are only a finite number of holidays I can get in before I hang up my boots and I would like to enjoy them whilst I can, but I can't when my peace is disturbed by loud music when I'm trying to relax. Wasn't this why iPods and MP3 players were made? Then if skiing to music is for you then you can do it without irritating others. I only wish I could buy an iPod that would allow me to filter out noise then we could all be happy.
Mike
ski holidays
MikeM,
I think there's broad consensus here that it's a lame idea. Personally it's not for me as I prefer silence, friends talking or maybe my own music. Most of the music I'd want to listen to wouldn't be in their system, and I don't like having other people's music imposed on me either, but I think this is very much a gimmick and if not a one-off, then certainly a rarity.

It's hard to see this making any money for a resort. I grew up partly in S. Germany and the propensity for oompa music in that part of the world baffles me to this day, but even in Austria I don't see this being a huge commercial winner (maybe in Japan though, I dunno). In my opinion the tidal wave of musical sewage you fear is unlikely to swamp the mountain. This music slope will make someone somewhere happy and it's their right to enjoy it, but clearly it's not for you (or me). Still, I suppose it's your right to act like a grumpy skier, too Toofy Grin

In the end, like all commercial ideas, it will live and die by the bottom line, and I'm more interested in the fall line...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy