Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmobiling trips

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had any experience of it in the evening?

wondering whether it is worth the money
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, I've not done it, precisely because it looks like it's not worth the (large amount of) money. It looks cold, and they have to follow the leader round like sheep; you don't get to razz around wherever you want doing dangerous stunts. One of my friends promised his kids a go, before he knew how much it cost (80 euros each, for not a long time). For the same money you can do a parapente drop on skis, in a tandem flight. I'd strongly recommend that - it's fantastic. I did it in the summer, but plan to repeat it on snow this winter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worth it if you get to rag them - avoid trips that are suitable for "all the family" and anything with under 600cc sleds IIRC.

A note of caution - rolling one of the bugs can be nasty and an expensive hit on the wallet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
always considered a parapente in the summer. but never got around to it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where? would be my fist question.

I've done several trips on holiday in Breckenridge and Steamboat and they have all been great. Yes you have to follow the Leader but as the tracks are well marked you can hang back and speed along them. They also went across counntry and up to the continental divide so lots of variety in terrain.

At the end they also let us play unsupervised in a big field. total length 3 hrs.

Can't recall cost but well worth it IMO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try it once - otherwise you'll never know if it's worth the money. I really enjoyed it and although it was a few years back I can remember doing it but not how much it cost.

If if you follow in a line you can be a bit cheeky and let the others speed away from you on the straight bits so you've got plenty of room of open the throttle - beware though, the brakes on these things are not so good wink

If you've never done it before I doubt you'd be concered about not being allowed to do dangerous stunts - you'd probably kill yourself if you tried.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, deffo worth it - it's fabulous fun, especially in the dark. We did it in Mammoth for about 4 hours one morning, and definitely didn't have to follow the leader, we were on forest tracks and then a big plateau with steep sides. We saw a couple of them lose it and crash into trees and had to stop and help a rather stunned person (no one had helmets on, I'd imagine they're compulsory now).
It's a bit like riding a motorbike, you need to hang your bum out over the side when you're turning to stop them rolling over. (John and JoshQ did roll one and smashed the windscreen but didn't have to pay anything - they'd bailed out before it rolled Shocked )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote, they're fantastic fun, especially for a night ride in Whistler. I too have rolled one, by hanging back then speeding forwards and up the side of the trail. Insurance was covered as part of the deal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did it in Courchevel, at night, follow-the-leader dodging the piste-bashers, with the odd bit of off-piste. Helmets were compulsory. Managed to turn mine over - I blamed the mrs who was riding pillion. She couldn't see over my shoulder, so didn't know when to lean. No big deal, we weren't going fast. Smile The brakes work by locking the caterpillar drive, which is not overly effective as you just skid, best to cadence brake (dabbing). More like riding a quad without brakes rather than a motorbike. Not cheap but then what is?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher, dog-sledding is much more fun. I think the do it in either Cesana or Sansicario.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Christopher, dog-sledding is much more fun.
Helen Beaumont, that might depend on whether you're an animal lover or a petrol head Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did it in lapland 2 years ago and it was in the dark obviously Wink (cos it was winter and was never light !)
unfortunately didnt get to see the northern lights. I can remember that it was ridiculously expensive but really good fun and we were out for a very long time probably 3 hours but we stopped for hot drinks etc

Definitely go and try it I enjoyed it but am not in a rush to go and do it again !

As for the dog sledding yeah thats fun very quick and the dogs are cute if a little smelly
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If your around Banff do the "Powder X" trip, 6 hours on the snowmobiles, you go up into the mountains on the way to panarama. 20miles of forest tracks, then a huge alpine meadow full of powder to play in. They just let you loose, it is wild. Adults only. £175 each including transport from Banff, but worth it for a one off. Even includes a BBQ outside in a mountain hut at -25deg !!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 13-12-07 18:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another Yes vote here - great fun.

I was in Finnish Lapland last week and we did a 3 hour snowmobile tour (plus some huskie and reindeer rides, which were not as good as the snowmobiling). It wasn't cheap, but certainly worth the money in my opinion. You can certainly hang back a bit and then give it a proper blast!! As said earlier, brakes are no good but who needs brakes with all that snow in front of you?!?!

And with some friendly rostering from work, I'm going again this weekend....

Give it a go Christopher, you'll love it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another definate yes from me. Did it in the afternoon 2 years ago in Andorra. The 75 euro charge for 30 minutes seemed expensive but afterwards my only regret was not having the balls to go faster. The guide took us around a varied route with steepish inclines, through trees, along norrow hill side paths and an open park section with bumps where you could go as fast as you dare.
snow conditions
Did it when staying in Lake Louise. All day trip. Got picked up at the hotel and taken into the wilderness to Beavercreek Lodge. Lunch provided, then headed out into complete wilderness, probably skidooed for over 5 hrs in a loop and back to the lodge for a few beers before returning to the hotel. Would really recommend it. Also did an ice walk at Johnston's Canyon near Banff.
latest report
johnboy wrote:
Also did an ice walk at Johnston's Canyon near Banff.

Not quite the same adrenalin rush, unless you mean you did it on the snowmobile. we did an ice walk, can't remember the name, but it was out near canmore
snow report
stevev,

Still a very pleasant morning away from the slopes though.
ski holidays
Do it. Floating on powder at speed is brilliant. I owned one in Newfoundland and did 1000km on it. My wife got cross-country skis. Guess who had more fun!
snow report
RachelQ, must admit, I have never given snowmobiling a thought. It just doesn't appeal.
ski holidays
The majority of posters seem to have enjoyed there snowmobiling in North America or Scandinavia. I wonder if the terrain/ wilderness over there is a bit more suited to it than the rather more crowded alps?
ski holidays
T Bar, Definitely.
My first go on a snowmobile was as an optional evening event in Livigno - 2 people per snowmobile with about 1/2 hr per person go at driving - OK but a bit limited.
Anyone spending a skiing holiday at Jackson Hole Wyoming should be aware that they can have a Snowmobile day trip into Yellowstone National Park, and the scenery and wildlife is outstanding Very Happy . (However, even better is to travel into the park via caterpillar snowcoach and spend some days in the Park itself Cool)
snow conditions
T Bar,

Yeah, my experience was a 50km trek through pristine wilderness. We didn't see another human being or road or dwelling all day. I imagine a 1hr session round a track in the Alps wouldn't be the same.
ski holidays
Quote:

Floating on powder at speed is brilliant
I'm sure it is, but it's probably not that likely to happen on a standard "one hour after the pistes close" evening at an alpine resort, which will cost around 90 euros. It's like comparing canoeing down the Ardeche with an hour on a municipal boating lake.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Do it. Floating on powder at speed is brilliant. I owned one in Newfoundland and did 1000km on it. My wife got cross-country skis. Guess who had more fun!

Ah, but guess who got the better cardiovascular exercise! Toofy Grin
latest report
Alastair Pink, true... Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
stevev, Sounds like Toby Creek to me? I stayed at Panorama so went over there.
We had to follow the leader up to the top (but thats fine- if youve never done it before!). Once at the top, had some lunch and then let rip in a power bowl. Literally could go where we liked (within the boundaries). VERY good fun - I loved it - so much so I've booked again for a trip in Whistler.

All I will say re: cost - is that a similar sort of thing in this country (Say, quads) would likely cost more with the exchange rates as they are, I thought all relatively it was actually fairly good value all things considered.

If you want to try it - definately give it a go.... The time does fly though so a longer trip is recommended
ski holidays
eddyr, That's the one. The boundaries in the top powder meadows were pretty big, the area was a massive playground. Only bad thing for us was the whole mountain was fogged in, we missed all the views
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done it on a couple of times on piste in Europe after the lifts close. First time was fine, but second time around it was too tame. I've done it as an all day trip in Lake Louise, as described by johnboy. Definitely worth it - you can go as fast as you dare, they stop every few Km and anyone who feels they need to go faster can go up front.

Had my 'bile off the ground a couple of times - excellent! Twisted Evil

I've also rolled one - first time out when I didn't really know how to handle the machine.
snow conditions
i too have done the powder x with toby creek. 2 years previous did a day from whistler which was great, but had best day with toby creek. our guide, dave, was so cool. following the leader up when he is travelling flat out is not dull!then as others said playing round in powder.also went up and down slopes which thought impossible and the whole way down mountain never touched a trail, traversing steeps, crossing ditches, through trees, everything.
ski holidays
gavin2020 wrote:
... as others said playing round in powder.also went up and down slopes which thought impossible and the whole way down mountain never touched a trail, traversing steeps, crossing ditches, through trees, everything.

Everything? - how's about
across a lake? Shocked
I remember seeing them do this on Top Gear - OK providing you keep the speed up sufficiently to plane across the surface - if too slow or stationary they will of course sink! See this link describing such a fatality. Skullie
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy