Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BUYING WINTER TYRES...

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick word of caution for anyone in the UK considering buying winter/snow tyres for holiday jaunts. I'm struggling to find tyres for my Merc van. I'm told the shortage of tyres is due to legislation changes in Germany that have increased the demand for winter tyres there. Unless someone is b*+LSh1ting me it would seem that demand is outstripping supply.
Don't leave it until the last minute to source your tyres. Shocked rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought my tires second hand from some very okay guy, and he experienced the same thing last year already... He couldn't buy wintertires for his wifes car at all anymore... not until next (this) year.

And the legislation change is correct, Germany wintertires are compulsory... They may be tolerant for now, but if you have an accident you will very much regret not having them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just got some this week from ATS in the UK for a VW transporter. Did take them a little phoning around, but seemed the best out of the normal UK suspects.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many dealers DOWN SARF have never even heard of winter tyres, big struggle when I brought some had to tell dealer what to buy?
When I swap summer tyres for winter ones (this week) the spanner monkeys are very amused. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DOH!!!!!
I moved to Canada in April and because I didn't get organised before I left the UK, I ended up taking my Vredestein snow tryes (for a VW Transporter van!) to the tip! To make matters worse, we've just shelled-out $500 for new snow tyres here!!!

I am glum.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to buy winter tyres in the UK I think you would be well advised to start to process during the summer! When I bought a set a few years ago I started looking in November. It took calls to several different dealers to make any progress, then I ended up paying a lot for the tyres because the only model they could source as very expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a very successful and pleasing experience a few weeks ago buying winter tyres for my Freelander from Pneus-Online. I ordered a set of 5 Michelin Alpin 4x4's from their website on a Saturday and they arrived from Switzerland on the Wednesday. I couldnt have wished for a better service.

Sadly, but not entirely unexpected, the service from my local ATS getting them fitted to 5 loose rims was not quite so enjoyable. I had my work cut out encouraging the misery guts to fit them anyway as they say its against company policy because they hadnt supplied the tyres. I replied that he wasnt able to supply them which is why I had to buy them online. He tried to argue that I didnt need winter tyres because our winters arent that severe, to which I pointed out I hadnt bought them for use in the UK, and they are a legal requirement in Germany and Austria. He then reckoned he could have supplied them cheaper but after prodding his computer for 15 minutes admitted he couldnt get them in that size. Back to square one - can you please fit these tyres for me?

He fitted and balanced them then wanted £89 plus VAT. My reply of "You must be ***** joking" worked well enough because he settled for 50 quid, which is more like what I had expected to pay. Perhaps I should have shopped around a bit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
If you want to buy winter tyres in the UK I think you would be well advised to start to process during the summer! When I bought a set a few years ago I started looking in November. It took calls to several different dealers to make any progress, then I ended up paying a lot for the tyres because the only model they could source as very expensive.

You could try Scotland - seems that in the north there's a market for them...

I found this webpage which has some interesting facts about winter tyres in the UK and the continent.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, the strange thing seems to be many UK based manufacturers and online sellers are happy to extol the virtues of winter tyres on their websites but when it comes to the crunch very few can actually supply. I'm not surprised they may be available in Scotland as their winter conditions tend to be more fierce, but I wouldnt go all that way to buy tyres. Perhaps a Scottish branch of a major national supplier could be persuaded to send some by courier for customers elsewhere in the UK, but I didnt investigate that route.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hugh,

In hindsight I think your mistake on the fitting was probably in using ATS - I would recommend a small independent tyre fitter for pretty much any job ahead of the ATS Kwikfit type of outfits....

I've got the opposite problem to everyone else - I've got tyres but no wheels... I'm waiting for the god of ebay to offer up some cheapies. Wink plenty of time before the February drive to St Anton.

Dave
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MazDave, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Have you tried local dealers etc for your wheels, there are stories of dealers selling wheels cheaply after someone has upgraded to Alloys.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MazDave, welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead .

My steel wheels came from a Landrover dealer and cost £4.99 each. They were secondhand after someone had upgraded to alloys, and I understand this is something that main dealers often do.

Yes I should have tried other places to get my tyres fitted, but then ATS was recommended on here by Hurtle I think who said she paid a fiver each wheel. I expect it could be a gender related issue Laughing but then most people had said that a tenner a wheel was pretty average. Maybe I should have taken boredsurfin's advice and gone to Hillside.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hugh Jarse, Very Happy wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys - I've got a set of wheels in my sights on e-bay. They come up pretty regularly as people upgrade from the standard alloys to bigger and shinyer ones... I think £10 a wheel is pretty fair for fitting - after all it's not something you could do yourself. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MazDave, I got a set of 5 original Toyota alloys off ebay for less than the cost of 1 from Toyota and that included transport from UK to Spain. Use all kinds of search terms, because some people list them under the most obscure catagories. BTW Andorra has a massive choice of snow tyres straight off the shelf Twisted Evil
snow conditions
MazDave, Hugh Jarse, I think that although ATS are a major nationwide name, the service and attitude you get varies wildly between branches.

I can definitely recommend the Merthyr Tydfil one, but they aren't all as pleasant to deal with.
latest report
alex_heney, I think I definately got "Mr Jobsworth" on a bad day, but at least he did drop the price with a little persuasion.
ski holidays
Hugh Jarse, I got my snow tyres fitted, valves and balancing included, at ATS for a fiver each and I'm male. Bought snow tyres from 'mytyres.co.uk' and alloy wheels to put them on from eBay.....complete bargain I say! Very Happy
ski holidays
R32, You did very well, I'll give ATS a try next time. I used mytyres this week for the actual tyres too, maybe I was lucky but they had my size in stock. They do stock the very cheap asian ones that start from about £35 but I went for the mid range Avon's at £62 each inc delivery, they had a higher speed rating and whilst I don't drive fast I wanted (perhaps) a little more security, could'nt afford the Vredsteins. I paid £12 per tyre for the change and used a small independant tyre fitter, he has offered to store the regular tyres for me until I want to swap back as I could'nt find a set of steels to use in time, friends of mine paid £10 per tyre with another small independant this week for their swapover.
snow conditions
Frosty, ..... your post just reminded me of an important point in relation to replacement tyres ..... regardless of what speed you drive, do check that the tyres are correctly speed rated to suit your vehicle. Insurance can be invalidated if lower rating tyres are used and I also understand that it's against the law.
snow report
BernardC, Thanks, good point, I'll check this out, mine are SR to 138mph which I hope would be a sufficient margin over whats required although they do sell higher SR ones to 155mph( Shocked )
latest report
Frosty, ..... I would imagine that the SR rating to 138mph might just be adequate .... Laughing

As a citizen and ratepayer, it is my important civic duty to to to advise you that the current maximum speed limit in the UK is 70mph and thus testing to 138mph will expose you to the full weight of law enforcement. Of course you have the right to remain silent, etc ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Frosty, Got the Avons as well, they're spot on, but checked when I was at ATS and they were double what I paid for them in there Shocked . Have been fantastic this week as car is rear wheel drive and a nightmare on the ice!
snow report
P.S. If anyone has a Renault Clio and would like some original steel wheels (13") to put some snow tyres on, etc, I have some sitting in the garage from Missus R32's old car. Wheels have never been used and from an S Reg (98 ). Free to a good home, as long as you can collect! PM me if interested.
ski holidays
Tyres now sorted. Vredestein Comtrak (van) winter tyres. Should have them early next week. Few quid more than mytyres.co but the price includes fitting and balancing. (swings and roundabouts springs to mind wink
So the bits of the jigsaw that is our new-year holiday are starting to fall into place. Hotel booked. Eurotunnel booked.Continental breakdown cover sorted. Tignes car parking space booked. T'other halfs crocked shoulder is on the mend but the jury is still out on that one rolling eyes Snowchains somewhere in transit Puzzled . Haven't booked the electronic "Pass-Tignes" yet.(anyone done that and used it in anger?).
IS IT JUST ME?.....or is time dragging for everyone else knowing that conditions are so good out there Confused
ski holidays
george owen, Very Happy
ski holidays
George - oh it's dragging alright. I have to wait until Fab half term hols before we set sail...... Sad

Dave
snow report
I'll be in Austria this time next week and its dragging. Still have tons to do though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, you are all right, time is definitely dragging on Sad

Next Friday evening we will be in France....only just mind....catching the 22:19 tunnel!! Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
R32, Very Happy
snow report
Hugh Jarse wrote:
................Still have tons to do though.
Its that ski challenge game holding you up Laughing
snow report
katiebeagle, nah, I only play that when I'm at work Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy