Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Anton accom down valley in Bludenz?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am wondering about the possibility of staying in Bludenz (vorarlberg) and taking the train or bus to the ski lifts at st. anton. I looked up the train and it didn't seem too expensive and only took about 20 min to st. anton. I couldn't find whether there was a bus that would get you to Zurs or somewhere else that connected with st. anton. I am looking to save money and get away from the international tourist scene in st.a. Has anyone stayed in bludenz and done the commute?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in Bludenz several times last year because my girlfriend was living there for a year. I can't remember if there is a bus from Bludenz, but the train is very good. You can also check out the extensive Montafon valley and it's four ski regions (Golm, Hochjoch, Silvretta Nova and Gargellen) which are closer. Better still, stay in Schruns and have skiing on your doorstep (Hochjoch and Golm).

Bludenz is a nice little town, but stay close to the station if you don't want a long walk up hill after a hard day's skiing! Let me know if you want to know about anything in particular.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the post. I was just looking at the map and thought that Bludenz might be a good alternative. I don't really like st. a(the town) but the skiing is great and it seems to be going off right now. Do you have any reccomendations on places to stay near the train station. I generally don't mind staying away from the resorts in nice austrian towns.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another alternative might be to stay up the valley from St Anton - St Jakob, Pettneu, or beyond. Fairly quiet villages, and much cheaper accomm, but still easy to get to StA. Langen might also be a possibility - easy train to StA or bus to Lech/Zurs, via Stuben.

The Post Bus connects StA to Zurs/Lech. That bus costs around EUR6 return. There is a free bus between Lech/Zurs and Alpe Rauz, which you can reach from StA by skiing down Valfagehr. NB: That free bus does not go as far as StA, or even St Christoph. Heaps of discussion on this in another thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bludenz to St Anton is a very easy commute. Much Much cheaper than St Anton. Good nightlife (local not international). Also you can check as other have said Montafon Valley.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What are the options for staying out of town (either up in St Jakob, Pettnau etc) or in Bludenz, with regards to getting home after a night out ? Are there local buses that run into the morning or are you dependant on taxis ?

What's St Anton like for parking, i.e. if we were to stay out of town and drive into St A for skiing, where would we park, what sort of cost ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can park outside for free in St Anton and Lech, although I've only been there near the end of the season, so I don't know how busy it is at peak time. Lech also has some expensive underground parking if the weather is really bad. I'm not sure about hotels in Bludenz, but I'd recommend looking at www.tiscover.at for what is available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure about free parking at Lech, unless there is some further up the valley towards Warth. There is free parking at Zurs and I believe the Ost Terminal at StA has free parking - it certainly looks that way. The local StA buses do not run that late, so you would be stuck with a taxi. Night time fares in taxis can be exxey. If you are thinking of coming in regularly to StA to party, then I would seriously look at staying in the town.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith wrote:
What are the options for staying out of town (either up in St Jakob, Pettnau etc) or in Bludenz, with regards to getting home after a night out ? Are there local buses that run into the morning or are you dependant on taxis ?

What's St Anton like for parking, i.e. if we were to stay out of town and drive into St A for skiing, where would we park, what sort of cost ?

Bludenz would be an expensive Taxi . There is a train before 24:00hrs the next one is around 05:00 in the morning. There is another train in between that goes via Innsbruck (over 3.5hrs) !!!!

www.oebb.at

There is a night bus that runs around St Anton, St Jakob costs around €3.50 a ride but I think it stops around 02:00 am.
however, its possible to walk to St Jakob or even as far as Gand !!

Last season schedule
http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/userfiles/PDFs/Nachtbusfahrplan_Winter0607.pdf

Pettneu am Arlberg, Strengen,Flirsch

The Free bus does not go out to hear you would need the postbus but it stops early. You would need to take a Taxi if out late or get a ride.

www.postbus.at

Parking
There are a number of places

Example
Parkhaus Egon Pfeifer
Nassereinerstraße 4
Phone: +43 664 5409640

Prices:
1 day from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm - Euro 7,--
1/2 day from 1.00 pm to 8.00 pm - Euro 4,--
1 night from 8.00 pm to 8.00 am - Euro 4,--
1 week from Saturday 8.00 am to Saturday 8.00 am - Euro 70,--
1 month - Euro 180,--
1 season: December to the end of April - Euro 500,--

It is illegal (sleep) to park on the street overnight.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, ulmerhutte, iblair,
thanks. Just working out the options and thanks to your replies I've now ruled out the option of staying further away than St Jakob based on the fact we have some (mainly) apres animals in the group. Which to a large extent also negates the car parking question.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How cheap does your accomodation need to be, we rented an apartment in St A, didn't seem too bad?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog, Not too fussed about price, would happily settle for 2* to 4*, b&b, H/B, or catered, preferably not self catered.

Problem is with our dates ... we (guided by yours truly) booked flights for a long boys weekend, from Thurs>Mon - a 4 nights stay without spotting the flaw that this spans 2 Sat>Sat week bookings. Difficult enough trying to get a few nights at the beginning/end of one week, yet alone trying to perform the feat twice.

Quite prepared to spend the Thurs/Fri in one place then move on elsewhere for the Sat/Sun ... either in the same resort or maybe even do the first 2 nights in St Anton followed by a couple of nights in Ischgl/Solden/elsewhere. We'll have transport.

Think our best bet is to wait until 1 to 2 weeks before we go (end Jan) then pop some enquiries into the online accommodation system in all the resorts (nothing showing up at the mo.)

So, if there's a knight in shining armour out there who would like to host 10 of us then please speak up now ...! We don't all have to stay at the same hotel, but agin this would be preferable. Waiting for offers !!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies and to those who hijacked the post. So how's the montafon for skiing compared to St. A? I find that st. a has by far the best skiing in Austria with all the off- piste and powder you really can't beat it. Maybe I'll try bludenz and see how it works out. I looked into pettneu but it seems almost as expensive and it can be hard to get to on the bus. I thought with the train stop right in st. a then you could just walk in bludenz and get on the train and pop out right in st. a in 20 min it seemed like that may be a good idea. I tried staying in Landeck last year but the way the town was set up. you couldn't just walk to the train station from most places to stay. Are there anyplaces in Bludenz under 20 eur per person that are close to the train station?

To the Long Boys: if you want to know about st. a accomodation search the forums there are plenty of posts or write your own. Maybe you can find your knight in shining armor on gay.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j, oooh, a wee sensitive this morning aren't we?

Really don't think getting personal helps anyone, nor does it help promote the open friendly attitude I've come to expect on Snowheads.

I offer my humblest apologies for treading on the toes of your very own piece of cyber space, maybe you could preface future posts with your own rulesets.

Anyway, off to Kitzbuhel in January, is there a good bootfitter there ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masmith, most rentals in StA appear to be Sun to Sun, hence I feel a prat having changed our regular Wed to Sun trip (which was equally daft in all the other resorts we go to) to Sat to Wed in a misguided attempt to not straddle 2 weeks. Landed up with a self catering apartment booked through snowco (but is on Interhome website), booked a week Sat to Sat as they wouldn't do a 4 day booking. Worked out at about £40 a night for the 4 nights.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy