Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowchains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Simple question really: can one buy 'adjustable' snowchains? e.g. ones that will fit a reasonable spread of average vehicle wheels.

Reason I ask is that I'll be hiring a 'car', and won't know exactly what sort (much less what tyre size) it'll have until I get it. I'm lead to believe that buying chains is as cheap as renting... in which case, wondering whether such useful things exist... someone must have been thro' this before, surely....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not buy the chains after you've hired the car from a supermarket or similar?

I bought mine for sub €20 from SuperU.

Although they might end up being useless for the next car you hire, etc.

You can build up a collection! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hamilton, the chains I've seen cover a small range of tyre sizes, but I don't think they are infinitely adjustable. I'd buy them after you've hired the car. Where are you getting the hire car from? If it's the Swiss side of Geneva the car will probably come with chains even if you haven't paid for them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hamilton, .... The first season that I spent at Bourg St. Maurice, I hired a car about 10 times & purchased a set of snow chains, as Hertz France charged quite a bit per week for them. I have just checked the fitting list for them and it lists 20 tyre/size options. I subsequently hired from the same car hire Group & even left the list with Hertz with the request that they allocate a car to suit the chains. They did this without any problem.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All
thanks - I'll be hiring from Bourg, and (as usual) they won't know whether it'll be a Focus or a Megane until I get there.... don't suppose there's _that_ much difference in wheel sizes (I doubt they fit boy-racer low profile tyres to hire cars, but you never know...)
"Holidayautos" wanted about 40euros to rent a pair.... and couldn't guarantee they'd have them anyway...

I was slightly concerned that I might not be able to buy chains once in France (never having had to look for them before)... but hope my french is up to it: "je veux deux 'snow-chains' (chaine du neige?) svp" should just about do it.... but not sure I can cope with discussing tyre sizes in French!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hamilton, the SuperU supermarket in BSM should have a range of sizes. Just make a note of your tyre size and the chains will have their range of sizes marked on the box. 40 euro to rent a pair is extortion!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hamilton, I had to but a pair for a hire car a few years ago. When I got them home - they fitted my car too ! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All
now I remember why I signed up here in the first place - such useful and swift responses!
If anyone see's a bleary-eyed bloke with armfuls of fresh croissant dragging chains around the SuperU, that'll be me....

(I had been wondering how I was going to get the chains home under the weigth limit, until I remembered that I was getting the train to Bourg.....)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

not sure I can cope with discussing tyre sizes in French!
you won't have to. the packaging of snowchains always gives a range of tyre sizes they will fit - just make sure you note them the relevant three numbers before you go into the shop! In supermarkets you can pick them off the shelf and won't have to discuss them with anybody. Be aware that the very cheap ones can be trickier to fit. If thy're a type you've not encountered before, practice fitting them in the supermarket car park. That reminds me, I must do my annual snowchain practice this afternoon. It's cold enough to provide a realistic idea of how chilly your fingers get...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
It's cold enough to provide a realistic idea of how chilly your fingers get...

I try to pack a pair of cotton-lined Marigolds onto the chains box. Gives a little bit of insulation and protection from the elements but thin enough to manipulate the chains without too much hassle
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,
Quote:

try to pack a pair of cotton-lined Marigolds

are they green to match the LA jacket Very Happy I also pack a pair but in 'food safe blue' Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, yes they are Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, ... pink, or jacket-matching fluro green .... ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, green. But this season I will be mostly wearing white Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy