Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last chance corral!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tommygirl, Hi there I justwanted to say thank you for beginning this post. I've read it all and parts of what you said was like hearing myself - I too am a late learner and still cannot do the parallel turn stuff and suffer from the fears!!! But I found the conversation about benefits of private v group lessons really interesting. I am off to St Anton (my husband will love it, I am hoping I will get on ok!!) at New Year and was going to book group lessions, but now I am considering some private lessons instead - I could afford less hours but perhaps the quality outweighs the quantity????
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tommygirl, when are you going to les Arcs in March?

I ask as I'm there with a group of friends between 15 and 22 March, staying in Arc 1950. My other half seems to have exactly the same scenario as yourself; she is technically OK but needs her confidence boosting. She too complains of tiredness and aches after a while, which I'm pretty sure would mostly go away if she was able to relax more - and that means having more confidence.

Is this a possible opportunity for two people to share the cost of a few private lessons as the goals are the same? I'm not sure what links there are (other than skiing) between Arc 1600 and 1950 to get to a common meeting point, so this idea may could be a non starter anyway.

I've heard good reports of the ski school at Arc 1950, but they aren't cheap. Nothing is when Intrawest are involved!

BTW, great to hear about the progress you made at the snowdome Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
purplegirl, I'd be in the quality outweighs quantity camp - I have a one hour private lesson each day I'm in the resort and practice the rest of the time
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
purplegirl ! i am so glad someone else got even the remotest benefit out of my painful experiences !!! i am definitely investing in private lessons next year as i figure i have wasted enough already paying for 'holidays' that always end in tears ?????!!! where's the sense in that!! plus my two youngest are now ready to start learning to ski and i cannot bear to think of them all passing me out every year- the very best of luck to you! i can only reiterate what was said to me on this forum last week that really really helped me to kind of turn the corner- 'breathe every turn, sing a tune as you go along, make sure boots are really good fit, look up and forward, keep shoulders down and hands slightly out in front of you etc etc!' megamum is right - go for quality over quantity - you spend hundreds of pounds on the ski holiday and end up not doing or enjoying (more to the point!) what you went to do- in retrospect i can't believe that i haven't had the private lessons before ???? with all due respects to ESF and other companies i just haven't progressed in that system but it wasn't down to them it was just that i probably need 1-1 tuition because of the 'late starter, confidence issues etc' - good luck and have a great holiday!

jmdohanlon - it's such a pity because we are going on march 8th the week before you - it would have been a great idea to cut costs and meet someone with all the same issues - thanks for your kind words about the snowdome- and have a great holiday with your partner and friends! (is that irish o'hanlon or some other name?? i am from co.cork! so i'm great at irish dancing but not great at skiing!) rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tommygirl, purplegirl, I'm another one! Went twice last year. Had private lessons in Serbia as they were wonderfully cheap and I was terrified that in a group lesson I'd be left behind, floundering. THe weather was poor, and I only skied once outside the lesson time, thus not getting in the much needed practice. Then we did a 3-day break to Tignes at the end of April, and again I had private lessons, but did little outisde of them. I have also been to Castelford and Tamworth, but not yet made the elusive parallel! I am interested that you found the parallel in a day course good. Can you give me a bit more info about how many were in the group, what the general standard & level of nervousness was, how the instructor handled your fear, and how the day was structured - what exercises did you do etc. The description you gave of pushing down with the downhill/outside ski and steering with the other one sounds like a concept that I can visualise doing - it has got me thinking! Can you get to Tam in the week at all, or only weekends? I can get down there midweek sometimes.

I have got my first experience of group lessons booked for Feb 16-23rd in Vallandry with NewGen - I am nervous, but really looking forward to it, and intend to try and practise during the the time I am not in the lessons this time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tommygirl, oh well, some things are just not meant to be.

You're right, I am an O'Hanlon. The family hails from Co. Waterford, but my branch headed for the British steelworks in mid 1800's so I am multiple generation English.

Have a great time in Les Arcs and leave plenty of snow behind for those of us following on behind you. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
god i just wrote a really long reply to newskier and somehow my system deleted it as i pressed submit- sorry newskier i will have to do it again when i get a minute!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tommygirl wrote:
god i just wrote a really long reply to newskier and somehow my system deleted it as i pressed submit- sorry newskier i will have to do it again when i get a minute!

Looking forward to reading it! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tommygirl,

a) I wouldn't use an mp3 player.
I'm totally against this and certainly for a beginner who needs to concentrate 100% on both what she is doing but also what is going on around her. They don't slam on the radio in the learner vehicles at driving school!

b) I would get fit before a ski week. Plenty of squats, cycling, running and other leg based and cardio based exercises.
Skiing is hard but especially so when your legs are tired and won't do what your brain is telling them to i.e. cannot respond.

c) When you are skiing always concentrate ... on everything. Concentrate on where you are, who's around you, what the slope is doing, what your feet are feeling and doing, also on what you are doing that makes you feel stable and what you are doing when you feel wobbly. In short think through your turns.
Concentrating like this has improved my skiing more than anything. Some view skiing as easy as in you just point and go, when in reality it is far from the case. There are set ways of skiing, well and incontrol down a slope and to achieve these it is very helpful to focus on what and how you need to ski.

d) Take at least 1 day private 1 to 1 lesson.
This should be at the top ... Lucky skiers are those that skiied from the age of 3 or so. They have developed an instinctive ability on the snow. For an adult to learn the skill needs highly focused and forced effort. Don't forget the number 1 response of your brain is to avoid injury and so essentially it doesn't want to take steeper turns or go faster or even go down a hill. Usually this leads to beginner skiers falling over rather than taking the harder decision of actually skiing through a turn.

e) Try and move to a slope where you can actually get a bit of speed
Some times the slope is so shallow that it is too hard to turn or ski, I am not saying go steep but don't hang on a flat slope just because you are scared to go past 2 mph. I fall over more when trying to do fancy things on very low angle slopes because I do not have enough momentum to carry out the action.

f) If you can afford it, book a holiday late just after a nice dump
It is so much easier to ski when there is a bit of powder and grip on the slopes. Also falling over is a lot more pleasant when it is into 10 cm powder. Again I am not talkign 50cm fresh powder extreme but a little grip will do wonders to aiding your motion down the slope.

g) Keep warm and carry some fluids and energy bars
When your body gets cold and tired it no longer functions properly. Although often is is psycho-somatic I always get a confidence boost at a cliff by a quick slurp of sugary squash and a handful of nuts!

Good luck and if all else fails try cross country skiing. This is the equivalent of walking and many resorts have nice routes for this past time. It is pleasant and safer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tommygirl wrote:

Try Ctrl Z as soon as it happens, sometimes it works and pulls back all that your wrote.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
then i begin to blame my boots, my thighs hurting etc etc until i am almost in tears Shocked

Tommygirl, Like you I used to suffer the 'burning thighs' syndrome where after skiing for about 30 seconds (and from then on!) my thighs felt like red-hot pokers had been inserted in the front. Three minutes and I had to stop and recover. As I was fairly fit and ran cross-country a lot with no problems it really bugged me. When I concentrated on what my legs were doing I realised that as the (hired) ski boots (with compressed foam liner) had so much spare space in them I was bending my toes up to 'lock' the feet in place in the lower part of the boot and to stop the side-to-side waggling and loss of ski control. Try raising the toes - and feel the tension in the thighs - Aaaaarrgghh! I bought my own boots, heat-moulded to fit, and from that moment never has it occurred again. Bliss!! Hope this helps. Very Happy

[/u][/b]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tommygirl, result. kudos. Well done!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy