Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix New Years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need some help.

We (2 30 yo couples) will be in Chamonix for New Years. From past experience in other locations, I assume that if we want to eat somewhere other than McDonalds, we will need reservations. Also from experience in other locations, I assume that if we want to eat somewhere other than McDonalds, it could cost a pretty penny.

What we're looking for is casual. A nice evening that is not massively expensive. Pub grub is fine, so long as it is good pub grub and we can actually get a table (I refuse to stand and eat, and like to have enough space). The idea of eating in the bar in which we will spend the rest of the evening also has an appeal.

I tried my luck with MBC. It looked perfect. But they're putting on a 6 course dinner for €80. That seems a but extreme to me for a brewpub. La Terrasse looked nice, but after contacting them I now know that they no longer are a restaurant and only serve 'snacks'. And they will have a €25 cover charge.

So I'm at a loss now. Does anybody have any advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got caught this way in Les Houches a couple of years back. Nearly everywhere will be doing a big meal - even the more low-key places like the MBC. 80 euros is a lot, I must say, though the food's very nice and I guess that includes all drinks (surely?!) Or is that for two? It seems stratospherically more than they usually charge....

Other places I'd try for a fairly casual NYE are:
(google for numbers etc)

Chambre Neuf
http://www.hotel-gustavia.com/
The food here is very good and the bar will be going all night. Definitely one to drop in on during the night anyway.

Casa Valerio - nice Italian, good food, very cheery atmosphere, one of my favourites

Next door is La Dolce Vita run by the same people, another pleasant low-key place.

Close by is the Jekyll which is a popular pub. I've never eaten here but I hear that the food is surprisingly good.
http://www.thejekyll.com/

It's next to l'Impossible if you wanted something a bit more chic

Le Caveau is a cheerful Italian in the middle which is good value. Try and book one of the booths rather than the long tables.

Munchies serves excellent modern fusion-type food but might be pricey for NYE. Worth a look though. I have actually never yet managed to eat in here as it's constantly booked solid.

Hope this helps Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-12-07 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. MBC said the meal includes 'some champagne'. That's rather vague (and I tend to vomit the stuff back up, so I'd prefer beer anyway), so maybe I'll send them a follow up and ask. They even want a €20 deposit on the reservation, though. It all seems a little over the top. I'm a little miffed at them at the moment as they told me a month ago they would get right back to me and I heard nothing until today when I contacted them. No matter, really.

Thanks again, I'll check those other places out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, for 80 euros I'd want a bottle or so! Oh well.

At least it looks like you'll get your cross-country skiing in Chamonix for sure, looking at this snow Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ami in berlin, hmmm, you are in the slightly tricky position that Cham is just horrendously full at that time of year. (Or marvellously, depending on your point of view). Many bars will be charging for entrance. Let alone restaurants. One strong advice, avoid "Le Taverne de Chamouni" at all costs. It was a poorly cooked, badly presented rip-off out of season. And I don't care who hears me say that.

You could maybe try somewhere slightly out of town - but walking (even in arctic conditions) distance - L'Aiguile du Midi in les Bossons for example. Or, to be left field, the excellent Japanese restaurant.

I am afraid however, that as everyone else is likely to be paying crazy prices, so might you...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out the agile rabbit. Or do a big mac and spend the rest on beer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The conditions for xc do indeed look good, firebug. It's all looking better than I'd expected. I'm waiting to hear back from Chambre Neuf and Jekyll, so we'll see. I've never been a big New Year's partier, but somehow a Big Mac in our hotel room sounds a bit depressing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the celebrations in the square are always great so it shouldn't be too grim! Incidentally there are a load of good burger places on the main st like poco loco and the belouga, so no need for McD's even in the direst circumstance Smile

I agree, maybe smaller places like the agile rabbit (lapin agile) might be less likely to be doing the seven course newyearathon. The Gecko is another one of these.
Or what about mexican at La Cantina, which is also a good bar?
http://www.cantina.fr/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy