Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach and Kramsach - anyone ever been there and got the t shirt?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking at going to Alpbach over the New Year for a week but accomodation as you would expect is tight. However I have managed to find something in a place called Kramsach which doesn;t seem to far away from Alpbach (I have a friend who will be there the same week so location is important).

My question is: Has anyone skied therebefore, what is it like (both Alpbach and Kramsach) and what is the access like from one to the other (eg, navette/shuttle bus). Also is Kramsach high enough to actually ski at? As you can tell I know nothing about the region at all.... this would be my first ski holiday in Austria.

Thanks in advance, Kipmore
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While I was skiing in Ski Welt I took a day trip to Alpbach. Alpbach is not big.

To put it in perspective Ski Welt is among the largest in Austrian and has 8 satellite resorts, 7 of which are fully linked, totalling 250km. Alpbach has 40km.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kipmore, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
Alpbach itself is a beatiful Tyrolean village, popular with beginners and intermediates. I learned to ski there over 20 years ago Toofy Grin
Looking at the map, Kramsach is a town on the river Inn, and adjacent to the main A12 Autobahn and rail line which follow the Inn valley from Innsbruck to the German border crossing at Kufstein. To get from Kramsach to Alpbach you go up the side valley road through the villages of Brixlegg, Reith im Alpbachtal and then arrive at Alpbach - from my map it looks to be at least 7km.
A quick search on the www.tiscover.com site shows more information about Kramsach here. It is only at 520m elevation and it's skiing seems to comprise a nursery slope with 2 t-bar lifts Sad . However the link does state that there is a free shuttle service to the Alpbachtal ski area (Alpbach village is at 1000m, and apart from the nursery slopes in the village most of the skiing is on the Wiedersbergerhorn, summit 2100m). More info on the Alpbach ski area here, and that page also shows a link to the shuttle (skibus Alpbachtal) info.

PS If you fancy a change from the Alpbach ski area, from Kramsach it's not far to the adjacent Zillertal valley (you can catch the main line train from Brixlegg to Jenbach, and then the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway runs all the way from Jenbach to Mayrhofen up the Zillertal valley, calling en route at places like Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller. (Kaltenbach now linked with Hochfugen is particularly recommended snowHead )

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-12-07 22:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with saikee, Alpbach is very small, but ever so, ever so pretty in the snow. (It was the first resort I have skied all runs in a single day!)

If you have a car then there are plenty of resorts nearby. Public transport is usually fairly well organised in Austria too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK cheers for that. Very useful indeed.
Just need to sort out flights now.... not many flights from the UK to Innsbruck so I guess it is Salzburg or Munich.....
If I go I'll add to this thread.
Cheers again, Kipmore
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kipmore, there are actually a few flights from the UK to Innsbruck.

Easyjet go there from Gatwick, Liverpool or Bristol. BA also fly there regularly, but rather more expensive.

Lauda Air http://www.laudaair.com go from quite a few UK airports, but can only be booked via agents for UK flights to Innsbruck (I think they are flying those routes as charters rather than scheduled)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramsach did have a nice, moderately high ski area with some quite steep slopes - the Sonnwendjoch - but I think it is now closed. According to this site it closed in 2001, apart from a couple of low-level beginner surface lifts:
http://www.skiresort.de/allgemein/geschlossen.htm
So unfortunately you will have to ride the bus to Alpbach.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to those that gave advice on Alpbach. In the end I did go for the New Year and wow what a time I had. The place is indeed lovely and though small I kept myself busy with not just plain old ski ing but a little sightseeing, off piste and snow shoeing.

I stayed in a bed and breakfast run by a local farmer a little further up the mountain than Alpbach, a smaller and quieter place called Inneralpbach. It was cheap and cheerful but close to lifts and whilst the breakfast was basic the evening meal at the Zirmalm restaurant was fantastic.

New Years Eve it snowed like you wouldn't know and so New Years Day was absolutely glorious.

I can't figure out how to add photos to this reply and so hopefully you will enjoy some of the pictures from this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismoore/sets/72157603667806518

Enjoy, Chris[/img]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Niiice Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy