Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you drink on a normal ski day?

Poster: A snowHead
JulesB,

Have you finally seen the light? Though you would be more of a flaming zambouca man?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am far too novice to consider combining alcohol with my attempt at skiing... but if I survive the day I will definately buy you at shot back at the lodge..

Cheers! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually avoid alcohol at lunch, have a few on the mountain mid afternoon, then oblivion awaits when the lifts close Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JulesB, Welcome to snowHead Please can you adjust your speling to the age what you is Toofy Grin

Comes to something when folks can smell 'Drink' as the written word .... now back in your playpen you naughty boy snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JulesB, You sly fox Toofy Grin A very special welcome to snowHeads.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulesB, looking forward to corrupting (or bankrupting Wink) each other again in Wengen in March! Welcome to the nuthouse at long last!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Walker 55, Welcome to snowHeads

JulesB, Welcome to snowHeads too wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome both - is it auspicious that you make your first posts on a thread about drinking Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, sign of things to come I think. rolling eyes . Think they will both fit in well around here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't drink when I ski. Not really into the apres-ski thing, then again never really tried it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One (usually large) beer at lunch.

Considerably more apres ski. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc wrote:
I usually avoid alcohol at lunch, have a few on the mountain mid afternoon, then oblivion awaits when the lifts close Wink

Thats cos you are still getting over the previous nights intake at lunchtime !!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charlatanefc wrote:
JulesB, looking forward to corrupting (or bankrupting Wink) each other again in Wengen in March! Welcome to the nuthouse at long last!

rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I rarely drink in the day even one drink affects my balance plus you then need the lav all the time.

Blue sky, mountain scenery, good snow, I am happy with the world looking exactly the way it is.

snow report
I can't drink anything alcoholic during the day... have enough trouble staying upright when stone cold sober... Embarassed
latest report
Excellent photo, (some of these alpine bars have lovely views don't they). I agree with you. On the day pictured I could ski all day, but when the visibility drops and the chilling wind tears the skin of your face I can eventually be persuaded into a bar.
latest report
JulesB wrote:
On the day pictured I could eventually be persuaded out of a bar.

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I usually avoid alcohol at lunch

So you won't be joining us then? snowHead
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, On the left, bad helmet hair day or just bad hair Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
arlberg, guilty as charged Wink

Helen Beaumont, Embarassed
snow report
gwaelod, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Shocked

Just the bad hair - He's our group piper for Burns night. sadly no Burns night in our trip this year but we can make him available for a wee dram and some haggis any time during 19th - 23rd Jan in Peisey Vallandry snowHead

2nd on the right is Osama!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-12-07 19:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gwaelod, I thought the self same thing.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:

I usually avoid alcohol at lunch

So you won't be joining us then? snowHead

Well, I certainly won't... Seating arrangement doesn't exactly go boy, girl, boy, girl does it?
latest report
Bode Swiller, well it wouldn't, this is Boyski. As you can tell we have been doing it for many years now, but are baulking at rebranding ourselves the Under 70s development squad. Puzzled
snow report
Martin Nicholas, quite a group... I notice you've got Jack Nicholson (1st left), Steve Martin (3rd from left), Ray Winston (4th from left), then 3rd on the right you've got golfer Colin Montgomerie next to Osama Bin Laden (is he allowed to drink). Can't tell who the others are but famous no doubt.
snow report
Ladies & Gentlemen of Snowheads, please accept my humble apologies for this thread!

It started when a colleague was talking about his herculean drinking, day after day, while on various skiing trips.

Sadly I cannot drink like a fish without losing some (or sometimes all) of my skiing ability.

About 5 years ago me and a good friend went for a boys weekend to his place in Val T. After a boozy lunch (approx 5 pints each) we had a go at soming down the Saulire in Courchevel. I think I managed about 100 vertical feet before turning into a human snowball for the next 900 feet. Was not pleasant. Although I was not severly injured I did have quite a badly twisted knee and couldn't ski for the next 2 days. Was very, very p1ssed off about that.

Anyway, my colleague was in my office so I posted the original post about drinkies and here we are.
snow conditions
obergurgler, and a very constructive thread it has been too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I read last year that Italy were starting to breathalize people on the slopes and that some resorts in the US had drinking limits?

I'm sure there are lots of jokes about week US beer but as a parent of small skiers then the propsect of alcohol plus 15 stone x 25mph (and the rest) on the last run into the resort means I'd support some sort of control - though sober maniacs can be just as dangerous as drunk ones I suppose. Confused
latest report
So to all of those who like to regulate their alcoholic intake whilst skiing, likening it to drink driving (and rightly so, IMHO) - ever skied with a rip-snorting, eyeball popping hangover? Surely this would mean you are still over the recommended levels of blood alcohol, and subject to the same poor co-ordination, slow reactions etc etc....the Feds bag you in a morning these days, and you are prosecuted accordingly. Surely the same rules should apply on the mountain?

Prohibition is the only way - who's with me? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I usually find that the first cold blast of mountain air on the first lift of the day is a good cure for a hangover. Very Happy
latest report
Guvnor, not with you. You're trying to dismantle a century-old tradition and, anyway, statistically it's the last run of the day that's the most dangerous so, assuming you're over the hangover and haven't drunk since, you can't necessarily blame the pop. Don't drunk people take it a bit easier knowing that they're drunk? And what about other dubious substances?
latest report
Bode Swiller, Other noxious substances don't count - they are called boarders !!
ski holidays
halfhand, Absolutely.

I have never had a hangover after the first run opf the day. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
alex_heney, Not the question - the question is: In the morning, are you still over whatever blood alcohol limit, and as such, skiing whilst still under the influence? And if so, surely to criticise people for drinking during the day whilst skiing is somewhat hypocritical, is it not?

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Guvnor, but it is the skiers who are usually busy skinning up...
ski holidays
Guvnor, I know that wasn't your question, and I wasn't responding to your question, I was agreeing with Halfhand.

If you want an answer, then No. If I was still significantly under the influence, I wouldn't expect to have a hangover even before I started.

Hangovers come towards the end of your body getting rid of the alcohol, in general, although I have to say my personal experience of this is limited. I rarely get drunk enough to have a hangover, and have only ever done so twice on ski holidays. Both times, it was gone after one run.
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Guvnor, but it is the skiers who are usually busy skinning up...

Why are they taking their skin up Little Angel
ski holidays
I'm obviously not a proper skier. I drink tea at breakfast, hot chocolate at 11am and afternoon teatime, tea when I get back, possibly 1 gluwein/vin chaud at lunch, and two glasses of wine in the evening. We have a bottle of water with us and drink from that during the day.

I knew I was missing something!
ski holidays
I have found that I ski better after the enod of day drink on the slopes,on the final run down I seem to be more relaxed and able to flow better.
HOWEVER This is only after one or two. I would not be happy to do this from hour one or even have dinner time session.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy