Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you drink on a normal ski day?

Poster: A snowHead
I routinely get the Michael taken out of me for apparently drinking too much throughout the day! Typically I will;

Start skiing at about 9am with plenty of coffee and water in me.
Have 2 small (1/3 litre) beers at about 10.30am
2 small beers and a gluhwein at about noon
Litre of beer with lunch between 1-2pm
Couple of small beers through the afternoon
Lots of aprez ski.

I still manage to get plenty of skiing in though! What about you lot?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
obergurgler, so you typically drink 6 pints and a gluhwein while skiing ? Shocked Can't think why anybody would take the Michael about that ? Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 litres of water, a couple of cans of coke and a hot chocolate
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1.5 litres of water, a hot chocolate, couple of beers before the last run of the day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does this intake invalidate your insurance?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, snap plus a glass of wine at lunch.

obergurgler, perhaps buy a camelbak rather than a brewery? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
heh, computer says no!

I have always done that. I'm never what you could call 'drunk' but just, you know, relaxed! It is a holiday after all...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
obergurgler, darts players used to drink like that arguing that the blood alcohol level made their eyeballs more spherical! I guess it means you can see your accident victims that much better.

I like to store up my alcohol debt during the day (by sticking to water) and go into overdraft in the evening.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
janette, to the degree that obergurgler does it I'd say yes. Argument being that if your not fit to drive, you really shouldn't be sliding around either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
accident victims, ha!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I erally dont see the huge problem. It us up to or no more than 3 liters of beer (6 pints) evenly spaced. You burn off a unit (just over half a pint) in an hour here in England while sitting in the pub, imagine how fast you're burning it off while at altitude and skiing your heart out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
obergurgler, I sincerely hope this is a wind-up Shocked . If not could you please post your plans for the season.....so we can all make sure we are somewhere else when you hit the slopes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
About 1.5 litres water, 2-3 hot chocolates during the day, a beer at lunch.
Quote:

Argument being that if your not fit to drive, you really shouldn't be sliding around either.

Absolutely.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Water and coke during the day, Then beer or red wine as soon as my right boot comes of in the evening.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
obergurgler wrote:
You burn off a unit (just over half a pint) in an hour here in England while sitting in the pub, imagine how fast you're burning it off while at altitude and skiing your heart out.

Skiing doesn't make your liver work any faster.
snow report
I will mainly be skiing (backwards) in every resort you lot are going to.

OF COURSE it is a wind up. I was really just using you all to prove a point to a colleague. I hope you dont mind.

His argument was essentially that I wrote above (albeit with slightly more drinking!) and I was arguing that although some is fine, that is a little heavy.

I usually have a pint with my lunch and then a gluhwein/vin chaud mid afternoon. That said I will do some serious damage between the hours of 5pm and dinner to many of Europe's aprez ski venues!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I erally dont see the huge problem
erally! You been drinking?

Spread out over the day and combined with other fluids, food and exercise, I guess it isn't excessive and not in the same league as those groups of singing Germans who can barely stand up by lunchtime. obergurgler, carry on, you obviously have it under control.
latest report
heh, I might up my game now after that Bode, cheers (hic!)
snow report
mark_s wrote:
Skiing doesn't make your liver work any faster.
Yes, a worry. Thanks for that... I'm literally just off to my company's Christmas party, at which I'll now be constantly conscious of liver damage. Still, a bit of dancing round the girls' handbags and fending off the inappropriate behaviour will take my mind off it.
latest report
obergurgler, I understand what you say about being "relaxed" - but there is absolutely no doubt that your reaction times will be slowed by that amount of alcohol.

Also, you are effectively going on a 6-7 day bender which is doing your liver no favours as you are not giving it any rest - the liver is a fantastic organ at recovering, but it needs a "break" from substances which it finds toxic to do so.

I would like to make it quite clear however that I am not a tee-totaller Shocked
ski holidays
obergurgler wrote:

OF COURSE it is a wind up. I was really just using you all to prove a point to a colleague. I hope you dont mind.

Phew - glad I didn't get sucked into that one Very Happy

BTW - 1 small beer at lunch max.....saving myself for later wink
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
...and fending off the inappropriate behaviour will take my mind off it.

Fending it off? You're no fun rolling eyes
snow report
Drinking alcohol during ski hours is for losers.

Trying to brag about it makes you a double-loser.
snow report
obergurgler, Your intake would be no match for this noted sportsman from a byegone age :-

Weberniuk

Not forgetting our own champion Andy 'the Viking' Fordham either. He has trouble with his feet though. I do not think he could handle ski boots.

Six pints would be 'binge-drinking' under current government guidelines.

I would also have problems with dehydration if I was skiing and consuming a lot of alcohol.
snow report
Guys, he said it was a wind up......
snow report
obergurgler, just seen your admitting to the "wind up" after I had posted. I am pleased - but get your colleague to read all the posts - if he really thinke that to drink like that on a skiing holiday is reasonable then I would wish to avoid skiing on the same slopes as him
snow report
Coffee and juice for Breckie

Hot Choclate stop 11.00

Lunch 12.30- 2.00. 1 or 2 beers (Somedays)

Couple of beers before last run.
snow report
I now tend to avoid the first vin chaud at 10:30 am and don't drink until wine with lunch - drinking with food fools me into thinking it's better for me. Unfortunately the diuretic effect kicks in about an hour or so later so I have to make a pit stop. It is bad manners not to have refreshment after using the facilities, and thus the tone is set for the rest of the afternoon. However, a demi every hour or so will not cause inebriation and you should be relaxed when you fall over, which does happen more in the afternoon for some reason.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw the wind-up.

On the general question, the slope is one of the few places where I hardly ever need alcohol. Rarely, a beer at lunchtime.

Apres-ski is different.
ski holidays
There have been several threads that I've seen in the last year on drinking and skiing - the general consensus has seemed to be that shouldn't ski any more irresponsibly than you drive from what I've seen posted. Some say that any alcohol whilst skiing is too much to be safe. I know I've been slated in the past for stating that I think the odd nip might be useful to relax the more tense amongst us (namely me!), but I still think that psycologically the knowledge that I'd had just the odd occasional nip might not do me any harm as I still suffer from being too tense - mind you as things still stand you can still drive providing the nip you've had isn't too big.
snow conditions
JulesB, wink welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
tea and juice at breakfast
Coffee mid-morning
A pint and maybe a Gluey at Lunch but sometimes a coke and a coffee
Apres
Bottle of wine with dinner
maybe a couple more beers and then bed
snow report
depends whether or not Boredsurfin is buying....... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Camelbak through the day, maybe a pint after skiing, couple on the night

Edit: except for the forthcoming Austria trip where I will drink alot more..................Hot Chocolate
ski holidays
JulesB wrote:
I now tend to avoid the first vin chaud at 10:30 am and don't drink until wine with lunch - drinking with food fools me into thinking it's better for me. Unfortunately the diuretic effect kicks in about an hour or so later so I have to make a pit stop. It is bad manners not to have refreshment after using the facilities, and thus the tone is set for the rest of the afternoon. However, a demi every hour or so will not cause inebriation and you should be relaxed when you fall over, which does happen more in the afternoon for some reason.

I have heard that profits in Serre Chevaliers mountain pit-stops are suffering since JulesB gave up his morning vin chaud. However the rare genepi flower is threatened with extinction from the increase in his consumption in the evenings. wink
latest report
Mouth, hes never bought me one.....................
ski holidays
JulesB, Bienvenue a Snowheads. I zee you on ze slopes n'est ce pas?
snow report
too much
latest report
obergurgler wrote:
I routinely get the Michael taken out of me for apparently drinking too much throughout the day! Typically I will;

Start skiing at about 9am with plenty of coffee and water in me.
Have 2 small (1/3 litre) beers at about 10.30am
2 small beers and a gluhwein at about noon
Litre of beer with lunch between 1-2pm
Couple of small beers through the afternoon
Lots of aprez ski.

I still manage to get plenty of skiing in though! What about you lot?

If you only drank that much in St Anton you would probably be banned from the resort & sent back home to retake your elementary drinking qualifications Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
redrunmarcus wrote:
Mouth, hes never bought me one.....................

It will be my pleasure come Jan 2nd Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy