Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Memorial to Kitzsteinhorn funicular disaster unveiled

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The fourth anniversary of the funicular fire which killed 155 skiers and boarders above Kaprun will be marked on 11 November with a memorial at the base of the mountain. A stone building containing 155 glass columns to commemorate the dead has been designed by Anton Michael, a German architect. The memorial will be dedicated by Austrian President Heinz Fischer at a private ceremony...

The dead included passengers from Austria, Germany, America, Japan, Slovenia, the Netherlands and Britain.

A long trial of 16 defendants concluded with their acquittal. In September, Austrian prosecutors lodged appeals against eight of these acquittals. Separate civil lawsuits from the US and Germany are pending.

This report from Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

This earlier snowHeads thread provides more details on the outcome of the trial.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is a photo of the memorial, and report (in German), from Tirol Online.

The photo shows streams of coloured light pouring from the 155 glass columns. Each colour was chosen from a Chinese horoscope according to the year of birth of the deceased. The small window at the end of the building points at the tunnel entrance, beyond which the tragedy took place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That actually looks like a very nice memorial
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, it looks outstanding and very beautiful (though, ultimately, it's for the families of the dead to say whether it provides a peaceful place to mourn). According to the Tirol article the responsibility for designing the memorial was the subject of an international competition.

One of the glass light columns is dedicated to Kevin Challis, the British ski instructor who'd settled in Kaprun and married a local instructor Christl. His daughter Siobhan was eight at the time of the fire and lost her father because he gave up his place on the train to an elderly man. Kevin met his fate on the following train.

It's just one story out of 155, but very moving. Because the trial provided no closure to the affair for many relatives, the arguments are now set to continue for years. This article from The Times, on the day of the original verdicts, makes plain how deep the feelings remain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's nice to see that some obvious thought has gone into remembering each victim as an individual and not "just another number".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, I'd make a comparison with the Aberfan disaster in South Wales. Despite a primary school being obliterated, with a similar number of victims - in that case, almost an entire generation of children - the memorial is a quiet garden, but it fails to communicate the scale of human tragedy in a symbolic way. It is a rather anonymous place, full of right angles and rectangular surfaces.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw the documentary of this disaster a couple of weeks ago on the discovery channel. It was truly shocking. Many more would have survived if they had gone down the tunnel rather than upwards.

A sad thing for a sport we all love. A great memorial, I'm sure the families will like it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
biggles76, I always go in the bottom carriage whenever taking a funicular these days, ever since the disaster in question...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good tip. Most big forms of transport are safer in the back, when you think about it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely, agree. I've travelled on the funicular in Zermatt lots and always walked up to the front in the past - primarily to save a walk when it gets to the top.

Now I know where I'll be!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy