Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some ski resort visitors never visit slopes

Poster: A snowHead
A new survey has found that as many as 16% of people visiting ski resorts never reach the slopes. According to the survey for moneysupermarket.com, skiers from northern England are least likely to hit the pistes, with 22% of them spending no time skiing. It also found that UK skiers spend an average of 4 hours a day on the slopes, with Londoners the most likely to ski rather than indulge in non-skiing activities....From: http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hGWDGFQWmb8pM_aK0AkowKR6K5ZQ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wholly outside my experience. Everybody in every ski party I have been on skied almost every day (some taking 1 day off, especially on 2 week holidays) except when injury prevented.

I doubt the report's accuracy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well you have to allow for parents taking grandparents to look after kids and things like that I suppose
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a lot of people - especially non English ones - do actually like a holiday in the wintry mountains. Lots of people around the shops in small French resorts certainly don't look like they are likely to go skiing, and there are sometimes non skiers in chalet parties too. Or people who happily drop out at the first sign of adversity and enjoy sitting around in the cafés drinking vin chaud.

The average Snowhead is not remotely typical of the average skier....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This passes the smell test.

There are plenty of grannies, kiddies, girlies and fatties who prefer to shop or walk rather than ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you turn the statistic around and say that 86% of people do ski or board it looks reasonable. I suspect that there would be quite significant differences between different resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

grannies, kiddies, girlies and fatties
well, leaving aside the expected fatuousness of this list, I have also seen a lot of fit, slim, healthy and strong looking people, including elderly ones of both sexes, walking and snowshoeing up and around quite steep hills. Arguably rather harder work than riding up on lifts and sliding down again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
Wholly outside my experience. Everybody in every ski party I have been on skied almost every day (some taking 1 day off, especially on 2 week holidays) except when injury prevented.

I did come across one couple last year where one partner skied while the other didn't.

He just went for walks, and met up for coffees and lunch.

It must be more common than we might expect, otherwise the tour operator brochures would not contain snippets about how good/bad each resort is for non-skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I confirm that, French studies by their tourism ministry give figures from 30 to 50% non skiers in resort. The figure for non-skiers drops as you go to more ski oriented resorts like Tignes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loads of non skiers in Zermatt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I learnt at the alcohol dependent principality of Andorra in the mid nineties and 4/10 of my beginners class ended the week as full time bar flies rather than cruising the blues....(I still have the group photographs taken on day 1 and day 6 to prove it - and only 1 of them had crutches in the last picture)

Would they qualify as non skiers ?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 11-12-07 13:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When we've been away my wife hasn't skied, partly because our little one has been too young for it until recently and partly because she's never been on a pair of skis in her life.

All of this will change this year because our smallest child will be in ski school and she has decided to learn - whether or not she'll continue after this coming holiday is another question though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on where you go I guess. I doubt one would find much joy in having a non-skiing winter holiday in one of the French mega-areas. On the other hand there's plenty to do at a traditional Swiss resort.

I reckon that during peak holiday periods like Xmas and Easter, around 30% of visitors to Wengen never put on skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We get a surprising amount who either don't ski at all, or just a couple of mornings on greens. Typically non-skiing partners or relatives - it's popular because there's quite a lot to do here.

I get a lot of hits on my site for "chamonix for non skiers", far more than I was expecting. I should beef it up a bit really.

*goes to look for pics
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been with my parents a few times. I ski, they don't. So that's 66% non participation in our family.
ski holidays
firebug wrote:

I get a lot of hits on my site for "chamonix for non skiers", far more than I was expecting. I should beef it up a bit really.

*goes to look for pics

Good idea I'd say. Chamonix is great whether you ski or not.
snow conditions
It's a fact... 9 out of 8 people aren't very good at statistics.
snow conditions
I understood that in the more chic resorts the number of non-skiers was substantial.

According to Ultimate-ski.com: "There are usually more non-skiers than skiers in Cortina".

This site also refers to "ski-obsessed north Europeans".

And it is interesting to reflect that we don't think it all odd to go on a sea-side holiday but never go swimming.
Maybe we are obsessed . . . . Confused
snow report
Ice climbing?
snow report
Gramatical point, but it could be that they are snowboarding.
The link in the post above specifically says "22% of them spending no time skiing"
snow report
Met a group of 4 guys on the return coach one year - only one of them was a complete beginner. Apparently he toppled over waiting at the ski school meeting point on day one, broke his wrist and spent the rest of the week in the bar! Shocked

Guess he'd count as a non-skier.. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy