Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

moving upto intermediate skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been skiing twice, Banff both times. first time 7ski days complete beginners, managed a couple of blues (canadian grading system, green, blue, black) by the end. This February, 12ski days, doing blues mostly, but with quite a few blacks in the final week.

so next year booked to go back again and have booked intermediate ski hire rather than beginners. Not sure whatthat means, just advised to move up by the ski hire bloke when we returned the skis his year.

So a couple of questions.

1. What is the difference in the skis likely to be.
2. What effect is that going to have on our ability to stay upright, are we likely to see much difference, are we going to be scared witless by the massive performance difference or will we not really see much difference ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevev, I'd say it isn't so much how long you've been skiing or how difficult the runs were that you managed to get down, but how good your technique is. IME, the higher the grade of ski you use, the more likely they are to find out poor technique.

Just make sure you get appropriate lessons, and listen to the instructor about when it is appropriate to change skis, not the ski hire bloke, who can just charge you a bit more for higher grade skis Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevev, It means they are not quite as poo-poo as the beginner ski's and no i doubt you will notice the difference as most likely your level of skill still makes anythign feel like wobbly planks of wood ... which infact they are!

I am far .... very far ... from an expert but I think that ski's only begin to become important when you start to place high stresses through them which comes at high speed and steep slopes. For now you could be on pretty much anything and the noticeable difference would be when you concentrated on techinique rather than being on an beginner, intermediate or expert set up.

Enjoy you holiday and as docsquid, said listen to the instructor .... not necessarily about ski's but more about your technique (when I was 8-15 i.e. the years i took lessons, I never remember by teacher once commenting about equipment)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevev, the chances are the skis will merely be this or last season's kit, as opposed to something 2 or 3 years old. There is a bigger step up from inter skis to advanced, when you'll actually be given something a fair bit stiffer. I wouldn't worry too much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, plectrum, 100% right, your technique should be at a consistant level before factoring in effects of skis. This is why we only sell, so called, Expert skis. The idea behind skier type skis is to get you to go shopping. However, lower level(ahem, quality) type skis will be easier to camber and will therefore be easier to turn, but once you know how to edge a ski and do it on demand, go buy some skis, so called expert ones. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevev, with your experience I wouldn't worry too much about the skis that you are riding on, all your really doing is going on to newer skis not a completely different level ski! wink

I myself went for the level below expert whilst I was in Banff this year and thought that they were fantastic but I've been skiing for 6 years and felt that I was ready for a higher level of ski! Just go with what you feel comfortable with. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My sister was having trouble on a red cruiser on cheap soft beginners planks...

Then I put her on a much higher level ski like the atomic C9 (which is actually quite decent)
The day after she got down the schilthorn top.... which is not really a thing that could somehow be poled in red. Won't say she did gorgoes linked carved turns, but she did get down in confidence.

From that day she could also cruise a red cruiser fast... it totally changed both her skiing as well as her enjoyment of it.

Once you get the basic skills developed nicely, put yourself on a quality ski suitable for you (which is not necesairily the stiffest plank out there) Someone who dares to go down blacks I imagine has the basic controls of a ski worked out... (though it doesn't have to be the most graceful yet)

In short, i agree with the zookeeper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dont worry about the skis spend the extra on lessons and not the equipment. I had to laugh last year, we were in Selva and went to the hire shop. Our friends got the platinum range and I got some fantastic Volkl Race Tigers. Mrs RH got a childs ski! Everyone asked why? Answer Because they are cheaper. Mrs RH can leave us standing on the slopes, a former racer and instructor back in Norway. Spend the extra money you have wisely on lessons and not foolishly on shiny new skis, it is more important your technique is perfect not your skis!!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy