Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel by Eurostar January 2008 - Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, we getting very excited about our Ski Holiday. We chose Meribel, in part due to its proximity to Moutiers. ##

Transfer
Our train arrives at 17:30, the next scheduled bus to Meribel is 18:15. Rather than wait around for 45 mins I wondered about a private transfer. The best rate I've found is £80 return - seems a bit steep given that it's apparently only 15 mins away?

Ski School
Last year we were in Serre Chevalier. Ski school (ESF) there was 2.5 hrs per day over 6 days. Meribel runs for only 5 days and much more expensive! Any advice?

Restaurants
We'd like to go out for a special meal whilst there. Any restaurant recommendations? We also like the odd cocktail!

btw we're staying in the Eterlou residences by Chaudanne - mid 30's - prefer hotel bars to more lively places!

Thanks

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GentlemanSkier, I can't offer any advice - but welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

There are a lot of Meribel experts on here and I'm sure one will be along in a moment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Supply and demand. Meribel and the like think they are worth it and people will pay their prices.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GentlemanSkier, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead If you can get a bus after such a short wait (less, if your train is not bang on time) I wouldn't spend £80, personally. Though if that's £40 per trip, including your end of trip back to Moutiers, I think £40 a throw is not too bad. You'll find cocktails in Meribel expensive too, but you could buy a few each for £80! When are you going? There are a range of ski schools. Probably all will be pricey, but you might be able to get some advice from the Meribel experts here about the ones that offer best value for money. If you're not going in the French school hols (8 Feb - 8 March) you would probably not find it too difficult booking up at this stage. Have a good holiday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all - we're going on the 12th January
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GentlemanSkier, see www.merinet.com for all your questions
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GentlemanSkier, according to the timetable off meribel.net there is a bus at 17.45.
At least I think there is: French was never one of my best subjects. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GentlemanSkier, good choice of week. You should be able to shop around the ski schools a bit for that week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GentlemanSkier, welcome to snowHead I've been to Meribel the last couple of years with my family - first year we went my brother's OH had never skied before and booked in for lessons with the ESF and it was disastrous..... they had her walking up a teeny slope and sliding down it all week, instructor kept changing and none of them spoke good English, all seemed like they couldn't be bothered with her. So she didn't really learn much and was a bit put off... last year my OH came too and he's never skied before so we hunted around a bit more for ski school after Lou's disaster the year before. They ended up having a week with Magin in Motion (just called magic now I think) http://www.magic-meribel.com and it was just brilliant - by the end of the first day they were skiing on a green run, then blues and a red by the end of a week. Think it was around £150 for 5 days - 4.5hrs first day then 2hr sessions the next 3 days, a day off and 4 hours on the last day. They really enjoyed it cos they were taught all the basics by actually doing skiing! A couple of hours in the little snow park for beginners and after that out onto the slopes so they got to see lots of the mountain as well.

Obviously you have skied before so after different standard of lessons but everyone we spoke to was really happy with all their levels of lessons so might be worth you checking out. Our OHs are both going with them for higher level lessons this year Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GentlemanSkier, a second very strong vote of confidence in Magic from me. We took private lessons with them on another friend's recommendation a couple of years ago (before they merged with Ski Academy) and were very impressed. We've been with New Generation as well, and both schools seem to take a very coaching-oriented approach - set your own goals, learn what you want to learn. Would certainly use them again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GentlemanSkier, I've also been a few times to Meribel and thoroughly enjoyed it. A few years ago when I was a novice I had group lessons with Phil at www.parallel-lines.com (a British ski school) and when I returned last season as an intermediate I had a private lesson with him and he's still just brilliant. Can highly recommend him and the school. You'll have lots of fun as there is so much skiing to be had.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks evertyone - all realy helpful!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Generation must be one of the best renowned British run ski schools in Alps at the moment. If you intend using them, it might be best to book in advance, even in this low season week. They're very popular.

The bus up from Moutiers is pretty painless, I'd probably go for that. But there are loads of cabs just outside the station so you can always check whether their price is acceptable to you and jump on the bus if it isn't.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy