Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski length

Poster: A snowHead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I am looking forward to some serious input on your forum. I have used forums for several other hobbies and sports and know enough to assume that my first question is the type that will open a whole can of worms but I am looking for all input.

Ski 6 years Eastern snow Pa, NY, VT approximately 2-3 times per week, male, 190 pounds. Like to carve long turns while running full out and standing on the edges. (no tricks, jump only when I am thrown into the air and no helo taxis onto glaciers).

I recently purchased Atomic Nomad Blackeye through a local, and (I think), highly knowledgeable ski shop that has been super helpfull in my pursing this past time. I use Nordica Doberman Agressor boots and atomic Nomad skis. I recently purchased the Nomad Blackeye as an upgrade from my first ski purchase (atomic e3, 170 length) that I purchased on ebay for $99 when I started skiing.

The saleperson/store owner sold me into buying a 164 length ski (because of the side-cut/shape) when I was accustomed to skiing the e3 in 170. I used the ski for the 1st time tonight and found the blackey to be a super ski, it rides the edges like a Japanese bullet train. But at high speed I seemed to lose sight of them underneath me ( a little unnerving) I also seem to be able to generate a bit more speed from my old 170's. I am just concerned (probably in some part due to the price I paid for this ski ***wow***) that they may be a little short for me. I am 5'8 and weight 190. Like I said they ski great but am I missing something by not staying around the 170 cm mark. Will I lose speed and maybe some effectiveness if I get into some powder. The other issue is that the Atomic blackey is only made in like 150, 157, 164, 171, 178 and from what I understand with the shape of these skis compared to my old atomic e3 i should indeed have gone down in size. but was 6 cm too much. They just look so short on me (very weird) but is approximately 3 inches going to make a huge difference. Someone please tell me that I did the right thing...spent a lot of doh-re-me on these sticks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mcr122, welcome to snowheads.
The general rule with skis now would seem to be stand them on the gound and the tips should come to somewhere between your nose and your forehead.
From your post you like the feel and find you are going faster, so they sound just perfect for you.
Your only worry is losing site of them when going at high speed.
I think this is just a sign of the incredible speed you are now managing: as you appraoch light speed the length of objects seems to decrease. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice, I am sure I will get several on either side of the arguement but yours sets me at ease, somewhat... What about my weight being 190 (calculate in boots and several pound of water weight when the waterproofing need to be reapplied to my jacket and pants...) I understand, from reading posts after I bought the skiis, that weight is the primary concern????
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mcr122, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Every ski is diferent, but I wouldn't think that 164 was particularly short for you. Generally, the shorter you go, the less you will get in terms of straight line speed, but the more control you will have over your turns.

If you like them then relax and enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mcr122, Sorry, I cant awnser your question but I am sure sombody will come along with the advice you need soon.
By the way welcome to snowHead 'heads
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mcr122, I'm not in your league ability wise, but do have similar stats (apart from being a woman!!). I'm a fairly nervous beginner, so don't need skis that are too long, but have just bought my first skis - they are 160cm and come to about the tip of my nose if I have no shoes on. I thought these might have been too short and instigated a couple of discussions on the subject of ski length. My findings (as I interpret things) seem to go something like this:

Ski length is only part of the equation - there are such things as sidecut, the vital stats of the skis - waist and tip lengths, how rigid they are both in a straight up and down flex and a flex that twists them across their length. I concluded that you had to look at the whole package - rather than just looking at pure length.

It also seemed that on most skis, unless you're the sort of expert skier that is trying to ski the bases off the skis, that no-one ought to miss 5cm in either direction so you might argue that your new skis won't perform far different from a 169 (which is nearly the 170 you think you ought to have).

Also, in the course of buying my skis, I did speak to someone that ought to know what they are on about and they said that with few exceptions everyone ought to be able to ski something around the 160cm mark and that no company made a bad ski. I think there might be something in this - if you read this forum some folk get very hung up on very technical issues, such as ski length, but when you look into things it is all very subjective and very much seems as though its horses for courses and the actual performance of a ski depends on a lot of factors to do with its construction AND the person skiing them snowHead .

I've probably bought skis that are too technical for me at present - but I will no doubt get used to them and end up having fun on them relatively quickly (I hope anyway!). If you are having fun on your skis and they are stable enough for you to have fun on then from what this beginner has picked on I wouldn't worry - I'd just go and have fun on them.

N.B. Sneaky suspicion I had better go and get my tin helmet in expectation of of howls of dismay from the masses
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My god. Megamum has become a ski geek. Shocked

mcr122, no real man skis anything less than 180cm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, I knew I'd get the mickey taken rolling eyes OK, its obviously wrong, shall I delete it and replace it with 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue'?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, to be honest, I only got as far as reading the bit about "how rigid they are", it was enough for me. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just see a lot of folks getting hung up on length and the more I learn the more it seems that its the overall performance of the ski that matters and that seems to be influenced by lots of things. I just wondered if my rather more basic view of things might be useful - I fully admit to being no expert - just a novice student in all things plank shaped.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Stay with it, all pretty good stuff. Very Happy
The only thing you missed out was the importance of what colour they are wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, strangely it's a little different to real life. On here men are always worried they are too long. As you say, real women don't care about length, it's all about control and comfort. And on that bombshell I'm going to bed. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:
......no real man skis anything less than 180cm.

Bummer, just bought 179's Embarassed. All though they are taller than me Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, I thought you had the Crimsons already?
snow report
parlor wrote:
mcr122, no real man skis anything less than 180cm.

Agreed. The girlies like a man with big sticks.
latest report
Kramer, We like them more with large wallets Shocked
ski holidays
comprex, I'm just in the process of selling the Crimson's - afterall I've used 'em for a week which is a long time for me so it's time for a change wink
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
parlor wrote:
......no real man skis anything less than 180cm.

Bummer, just bought 179's Embarassed. All though they are taller than me Cool

Just stand them on your boots in the lift queue, works every time. wink
snow report
No point in having long skis if you can't use them.

Why not be like me - I've shorter skis, ... and I can't use them either.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Now about those 225cm's wink
snow conditions
Never mind the length, feel the width Toofy Grin
snow report
LOL, I am reminded of my last trip out west to ski Kicking Horse.
I was lucky enough to go with a buddy of mine who knew the locals, we even had a couch to crash on! BONUS!
Anyway, just before leaving I bought a pair of Scratch BCs 181. I am 6ft tall and weigh about 190. Everybody around here (Quebec) told me that I was crazy to buy such a big ski.
When I took out my skis for the first time there, one of the locals said: "Hey nice skis, can my girlfriend use them?"
OUCH
Everybody out there skied on 190cm+ but they are skiing in the big POW!
I like my skis though, even if they are for a girl Laughing !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy