Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot stretching - how much is possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just wondered how much a pair of boots can be stretched. I bought a pair of 04/05 Salomon X-Wave 9s in the sales in Dec 05. When I bought them they felt fine and were fitted in store and sold with a guaranteed fit but on the slopes is a different matter.

I’ve used them for two weeks in total and have already had them stretched once between these two weeks but they still cripple my feet, even when I use them without the insoles in place, as I ended up doing in the 2nd week. The problem is that there just isn’t enough volume in the front of the boots.

Is it at all likely that they can be stretched enough to fit my foot and insoles or have I just been sold a pair of boots that don’t fit my feet properly? Really concerned about going away in January with a pair of boots that will kill me again even if they’re stretched again before I go.

Thanks all, Andy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fishboy, welcome to snowHeads. Depending on the boot there is a fair amount that can be done. Where are you located in the UK? There are some good bootfitters who contribute here and they will be able to offer advice, and if you are near them I'd say it would be worth taking your feet and your boots to see them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fishboy, welcome to snowHead's

it should be possible to get quite a lot of extra space in the toe box of the x wave, it all depends on how much space you need to gain, there are a few other things that could be happening to cause the problem also.... a lack of flexion at the ankle or the cuff cant of the boot being wrongly set can cause problems like you are describing

where are you based and where are you going skiing, let's see if we can find you some way of getting these working for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live in Cumbria but bought the boots in Perth so anywhere around either would be fine. Don't mind traveling if its means I either get these boots sorted or have to buy a new pair that don't make me want to hack my feet off with a rusty spoon.
Cheers, Andy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
go speak to Andy Taylor or any of his guys at Anything Technical in Kendal, they should be able to sort you out
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, going up to Perth to get them looked at shortly and if that doesn't work then its Anything Technical - already had Andy Taylor recommended by a friend.
Cheers, Andy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fishboy, in perth try craigdon mountain sports, not sure what tools they have though
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fishboy, Welcome to snowHead 's from a fellow Cumbrian.As CEM mentioned, pop into Kendal and see Andy or Pete if you have no luck in Perth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM

You seem to be the best guy to ask on this forum re boot fitting so here goes:

I have a new pair of Scarpa Tornado's with Intuition Liners and Bootdoc insoles, i have been for 1 fitting session at a ski shop near to me but wasn’t filled with confidence with the fitting, in all fairness i didn’t actually buy the boots from them so i expect they weren’t overly fussed about the quality of fit, i don’t plan to go back to them. I have a few questions that i hope you can shed some light on.

The manufacturers blurb states (as i found out retrospectively) that insoles/footbeds are not required with the new intuition liners. Whats your opinion on this? I usually wear Sorbothane insoles in all my boots (work&walking) for added comfort and arch support (non orthotics) I have already ended up customising the Bootdoc ones as they were causing pressure along the metatarsophalangeal articulations, this has now eased off considerably and no longer leaves me with big red marks once i take the boots off.

However, I think there is too much volume in the boots with the insoles in i can feel the circulation is being affected and pressure is placed across the cuniform bones leaving a red mark. But when i remove the insoles i have "bags" of room around by toes which can move quite freely, but because of the heel strap on the boots my heel is held well in place with or without insoles and lifts ever so slightly without the insoles.

I do not think the initial boot fitting heated the liners enough, though they have conformed slightly they were not "hot" when i put them on for the fitting and there are little - if any indentations on the exterior of the liner.

So i guess my questions are:

Is the manufactures blurb correct - Ie you don’t need insoles with the intuition liners?

If you recommend the use of insoles - the bootdoc insoles are clearly not working for me, too much volume, any recommendations on a low volume yet supportive and comfortable insole? Thinking of just reverting to a sorbothane or something like a Sole Slim Sport.

If insoles are not required is the toe "wiggling" a problem (i can bunch and wiggle my toes quite freely) even when the boots are cranked as tight as possible. Heel lift is minimal, but i suspect in time it is likely to increase as the boots bed in? Given that the aim is to get back to touring this will likely cause a problem in the future, is there such as product as a heel only insert?

Many thanks.

Matt
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
matricks,
Quote:

The manufacturers blurb states (as i found out retrospectively) that insoles/footbeds are not required with the new intuition liners. Whats your opinion on this? I usually wear Sorbothane insoles in all my boots (work&walking) for added comfort and arch support (non orthotics) I have already ended up customising the Bootdoc ones as they were causing pressure along the metatarsophalangeal articulations, this has now eased off considerably and no longer leaves me with big red marks once i take the boots off.

well that goes to show how long it has been since i read the instruction manual, i would always suggest some form of insole/orthotic in a ski boot, skiing is one of the only sports where EVERYONE will benefit is some way from the correct level of support. as for sorbathane i would say it if fine for some but for anyone who pronates more than normal [about85%of the population] it acts as a pronation accelerator. the liner will mould around the bottom of your foot to an extent, but it is like taking a weight bearing mould but without the control of being able to see what the foot is doing, there is no way that it can be accurate.

Quote:

I do not think the initial boot fitting heated the liners enough

this sounds about right, the liner should be put in an oven [most of the heat pipes aren't hot enough,except the intuition ones] your footbed should be taped to your foot and pads places on the toes and in other strategic pressure points [the areas where you are getting pressure] the hot liner is then stretched over the foot covered with a lycra sock and then put into the shell.... it hurts like hell for 15mins but the long term gain is well worth it

Quote:

If you recommend the use of insoles - the bootdoc insoles are clearly not working for me, too much volume, any recommendations on a low volume yet supportive and comfortable insole? Thinking of just reverting to a sorbothane or something like a Sole Slim Sport.

i do not think [by reading your post] that you need a lower volume insole i think the main problem is that the liner has not been moulded properly.... the footbed all depends on your foot and the amount of pronation present so without seeing your foot it is difficult to say for sure, what i would do is go custom rather than OTC as they will fit the bits the OTC device does not.

Ok Matt one question.... what do you do? my guess is something medical, doctor,physio,chiro? only due to your use of biomecanical terms wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
matricks,
Quote:

well that goes to show how long it has been since i read the instruction manual, i would always suggest some form of insole/orthotic in a ski boot, skiing is one of the only sports where EVERYONE will benefit is some way from the correct level of support. as for sorbathane i would say it if fine for some but for anyone who pronates more than normal [about85%of the population] it acts as a pronation accelerator. the liner will mould around the bottom of your foot to an extent, but it is like taking a weight bearing mould but without the control of being able to see what the foot is doing, there is no way that it can be accurate.

Quote:

I do not think the initial boot fitting heated the liners enough

this sounds about right, the liner should be put in an oven [most of the heat pipes aren't hot enough,except the intuition ones] your footbed should be taped to your foot and pads places on the toes and in other strategic pressure points [the areas where you are getting pressure] the hot liner is then stretched over the foot covered with a lycra sock and then put into the shell.... it hurts like hell for 15mins but the long term gain is well worth it

Quote:

i do not think [by reading your post] that you need a lower volume insole i think the main problem is that the liner has not been moulded properly.... the footbed all depends on your foot and the amount of pronation present so without seeing your foot it is difficult to say for sure, what i would do is go custom rather than OTC as they will fit the bits the OTC device does not.

Ok Matt one question.... what do you do? my guess is something medical, doctor,physio,chiro? only due to your use of biomecanical terms wink

CEM

Many Thanks for the informative reply, if only i lived a little closer to your neck of the woods id be down like a shot.

You hit the nail on the head, the shop used heater pipes not a convection oven, so it seems like i need a refit, any suggestions of where to go in the wiltshire area? or close by?

I have read numerous "guides" on the internet about DIY..... If all else fails..... To be avoided like the plague or not?

I am thinking that if i cant get a refit done ill try the Sole Slim's as ultimately i want to get this sorted best as possible prior to heading out for New Year.

Job wise, i am in the Army. Feet are very important and ultimately if they arent happy i cant do my job and therfore need to keep them in good condition so ive learnt quite a lot about how they work and the best ways to look after them. I suppose this is why i am so keen to get the boots sorted prior to hitting the slopes.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
matricks, I'd say that it's worth the journey from Salisbury to Bicester to get a proper job done on your boots. Just a few weeks ago people came from as far as Newcastle and Cumbria to take advantage of the expert bootfitting services of CEM and SZK & his team.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
matricks, you're not that far from me, journey to Bicester is only a couple of hours and WELL worth it. CEM is excellent snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
samharris wrote:
matricks, you're not that far from me, journey to Bicester is only a couple of hours and WELL worth it. CEM is excellent snowHead

Seconded and the Breakfast is really good too. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
samharris wrote:

Seconded and the Breakfast is really good too. Very Happy

Thirded, but never had the breakfast.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy