Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

courchevizzle 28th december

Poster: A snowHead
i'm a 40 weeker going to courchevel (the lowest one, la praz?) 28th, can someone recommend some good runs, will it be enough for the week just the local pass, tell me other stuff, advice etc

thanks team
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd certainly recommend a 3Vs pass

if you like covering the miles then you can ski to Val Thorens, grab some lunch then ski back!

make sure you ski Mont Vallon which is at the far end of the meribel valley, it has 2 fantastic long red runs but can get quite busy

in the Courchevel valley i really like the red under the big saulire cable car, think it's called combe de saulire, creux is also a really nice run
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiben, depends if you like doing big miles, but Courchevel valley itself has quite a lot of runs. Also depends what is open on 28th December. There are quite a lot of runs Courchevel - 1850 and 1650, plus runs down to La Tania and Le Praz. I particularly like some of the runs above 1650 particularly Chapelets (red) and Ariondaz (really nice fast blue). Also Loze (blue), Jantzen (blue - hardly anybody on it, as the entrance is a bit hidden), Creux (red), Suisses (black), Chenus (red - nice apart from the busy bottom bit), and if it isn't busy, Biollay (blue) is fun - nice rollers at the bottom to get some jumps in.

Meribel suffers from melting snow in the mornings and ice in the afternoons, but the Mont Vallon runs are definitely the best, although watch out and keep some speed or you'll be poling like mad at the bottom. Val Thorens has some good runs too.

It's a great place - we go every year!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the Courchevel valley is fully open, and you've never been there before, and you're counting the pennies, then there is plenty there for a week. It has about 150km when fully open which is enough for most unless you're one of those saddo "tick-the-runs-off-the-piste-map" types. I find going from one end of the 3V to the other too much hassle to be real fun. Going from Courchevel to Val T and back will probably involve a fair bit of rush-hour Qing through Meribel if you try to make a full day of it. Best make your mind up when you get there. If the conditions in Courchevel are good, there is no real need to head elsewhere, it has some of the best terrain in the whole 3V.

Courchevel is great, it is quicker to list the areas to avoid: the network of green/blue terrain just above C1850 would be great for beginners if it wasn't so crowded. As a 40 week skier you'd best avoid it, it is frustrating and dull weaving in and out of the masses. docsquid has picked out some good stuff. If you get a clear run down Jockeys it is mental. Suisses usually holds the snow well, less icy than some of the other blacks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I forgot to mention avoid Jean Pachod (not Jean Blanc - the black down to Le Praz - that is quite nice). Jean Pachod is a red over towards 1650. We thought it looked nice and empty, but there was a reason for it being empty - lots of little rocks and stones poking out. Not good if, like us, you use your own skis! We mentioned it to our (British) instructor, who's been going to Courchevel since he wor a lad, and he said he's only ever gone down it about 6 ot 7 times and each time it's been diabolical!

Combe de Saulire gets really busy at particular times of day - when the masses come over from Meribel in the morning and at the end of the day when people are returning from Meribel. It is a nice run, but only when it isn't busy. A lot of people try to ski down who aren't up to reds and aren't in control, as there are no blues down from the top and they don't want to be a wuss and take the telecabine down.

If it's open, the blue down to La Tania is nice too - picturesque through the trees.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
M pisted very cruisy black - unpisted bumps a genuine challenge

there is a red run off to the left just before to start of M that drops down to combe saluire

jerusulam down to st martin de belleville

down from courchevel to mottaret there is a fast 'black' down most of the runs down from couchevel to le praz are fun tho one of th blacks has a pole at the end one of my favourite ways of spending the day is to go from the top of the saluire cable car down to 1550 if conditions re good
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
do you want on or off piste recommendations?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiben, also be aware that most of the Courchevel valley will be in shade from about 2.00 (if there is sun) at that time of year. It's well worth having 3V pass anyway - but it can get you into the sun on the Meribel side for the last few hours of skiing. Best run is probably Reynard (and especially the bumps and jumps just off the right hand (skiing) side of the piste). Also some good off piste off the Boulevard de Loze. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will also be skiing in Courchevel for week beginning 13th January, and it will be the 3V pass.

Have only skied there daily before so never attempted the trek to Val Thorens and back. I'm picking up on traffic problems on the return so any suggestions on times or routes to avoid appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ayrshire Andy, yes, Reynard is good - in fact the off-piste bumps are often better than the piste which gets into bad condition pretty fast.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerusalem down to St Martin and the blue Folyere's down to La Tania (never been closed since snow cannons installed in 2003) are 2 of my favourites. Mont Vallon left hand side run as you look at it is a thigh burner and a half - really does feel like it goes on forever. Back and forth to VT has a lot less queues these days with the new Chapelets chair in Mottaret and Bouqetin or Les Menuires fast chair.

For a really big day out in the 3V try this.... http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiben, have a look at my site and download the expert tours

http://www.pleva.net/skiing.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a great grand couloir description here + various 3v routes:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/skiingindex.html

Seems to be banned on my work PC?? but I'm sure that was the link.

I'll check to night.

Also La tania.co.uk has a a 3v ski section
http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/sguide.htm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ayrshire Andy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd definitely get a 3V pass as there's so much excellent skiing in VT. Add the La Masse areas to those already mentioned. My favourite in Courchevel is to be on the first bubble up to Saulire and do the Combe de Saulire when it's been freshly pisted. Magic.
ski holidays
DCG, Similarly the first bubble to the top of La Masse (The furthest pistes on the right of the 3v map for those that don't know)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy