Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello from Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Today dawned as bright and clear as yesterday had, sky that light blue that has yet to fully fill with colour, and the sun yet to clear the peaks that I look out on. I love it when, as the sun slowly rises, the caps of those peaks fall into sunlight until the sun finally pops its face over the top into full view; peek-a-boo!

The joy of the clear conditions yesterday meant that I covered (for me) a fair distance, and I must admit I was utterly exhausted by the time I made it to the ski lockers and, after wrestling my boots off, up to my apartment. Mark said the same thing, and it was quite an effort to wander out for a quiet pint (no, honest it was, really) and to check emails and post on here from the bar where we have free wifi. Mark invited me to join him and Paul, his instructor for the week, for this afternoon’s skiing, meeting at noon with a packed lunch for a trip over to Meribel. Having popped over there briefly yesterday afternoon, I knew I could get down at least one of the two possible reds from the top of the 3 Valleys 2 lift, but muddling my way down is less embarrassing than facing the scrutiny of a much better skier and an instructor. The Lac de la Chambre which I took yesterday is also a reasonably long red, and although I skied it late on in the day after bombing around like a mad thing all morning, I wanted to make sure I had a little more left in my legs today for whatever Paul had planned for us, so I resolved to have a relatively quiet morning today. This was somewhat easier to do, given the wonderfully clear conditions, as Mark had checked the forecast yesterday and we should have at least a week of sunshine and blue skies.

It seems crazy to me, looking back, that this time 2 years ago I had never skied (many who have seen me would argue that is still the case, what I do doesn’t really qualify as skiing!), and yet here I am spending the winter in a top ski resort. We were always discouraged from taking time off outside of the school holidays where I used to work, as it tended to be our busiest times, so, like a dutiful employee I had refused a number of requests from friends to join them for a skiing trip. However, when James, a barrister friend of mine who now lives and works in London started trying to get a group together just over 2 years ago for a trip the following January, I decided I would go regardless of how well it was received by my boss. So it is all thanks to James that I’m here today, but maybe we’re even because I introduced him to hockey and, indirectly, much more. I used to run a very social, all standards welcome, mixed hockey team; I had a regular slot booked at a local pitch, anyone who wanted to turn up was welcome regardless of their standard, I picked a couple of captains and, like playing footie at school at lunchtimes, you all hoped you wouldn’t be the last one to be picked. James hadn’t played hockey since school, but turned up one evening having heard from a friend who came along that it was all very low key, sociable and a good laugh. He started playing regularly and eventually joined a club, initially in Bristol, and once he moved to London he joined Richmond Hockey Club where he met his now wife, so, given that, I figure we’re more or less even. I do feel very bad for his wife though!

So, I had a quiet morning of just a handful of runs, then set off to meet Mark and Paul at the bottom of the Plein Sud chairlift complete with, for the first time, a rucksack with my lunch, should I survive long enough to need it! I waited with a degree of trepidation for the other two to arrive, which they did shortly afterwards with big grins and a jolly “Bonjour”.

I struggled onto the lift with my rucksack half on and half off one shoulder and we made our way up, then dropped down 100 yards to the 3 Valleys 2 lift which took us up to Mont de la Chambre. Having already admitted to skiing Lac de la Chambre the previous day, Paul dropped straight down the run and in a red flash was gone. Mark quickly followed suit, so I had no time to worry about the struggle it had been for me yesterday. Paul stopped partway down the first slope and waited for Mark, and eventually me to arrive, before shooting off again. This time I only managed half dozen turns before my lungs were crying out for a breather, and I just managed to let Mark know I needed a moment’s rest before he too was out of hearing. He stopped so I skied down to him and caught my breath for a minute or two, then we were off again, eventually catching up with Paul, who had been assessing our technique from the bottom. I felt I skied it better than the previous day, and certainly a lot faster though I was sure Paul would be spoilt for choice when trying to find things to correct. The main thing, surprise, surprise, was that I need to try to keep my weight further forward, and also that I tend to slide my turns too much rather than using the edge properly. This was a fault Charlotte had me working on correcting at the PSB, and one that obviously still needs attention. Paul also said I ski with far too little up/down movement, that I was like a robot! He stopped there; I think he realised the male ego can only take so much.

We skied on down to another lift, took that up and had a very short section down to another lift that would take us back up to the top of the ridge, just along from where we had arrived from Val Thorens. We stopped here for our lunch, sitting on rocks brushed clean of snow, with the mountains as our backdrop. Feeling somewhat refreshed, Paul decided it was time for my first experience of off piste, a drop followed by a stretch of powder from where we’d had our picnic down to the piste. He went first, dropped down (probably about 4 ft, but it looked and eventually felt much more) and skied effortlessly down, with Mark following shortly afterwards. Then I had to suffer the indignity of waiting for Paul to fish around for my camera for what he felt was sure to be a photo opportunity. I edged forward and dropped, and then landed in powder at least 18 inches deep. I was perfectly in control for maybe the first 4 feet (ie until I actually reached the snow) and then I have no idea what happened, but suffice to say that it wasn’t pretty. I then had the job of trying to get up, which amazing I managed without having to pop a binding, and I actually stayed on my feet, just, through the remaining 60 yards of powder to meet up with the other two. We then skied back down to Val Thorens, with Paul giving us loads of drills to practice on the easy blue run that took us back. Very unfortunately Paul took video footage of my only tumble of the day, rather than a photo; alas I don’t know, nor do I ever want to know, how to upload that (but I must admit it was very funny)!

We did one more run with Paul, and I felt that I was actually improving a little; I felt I was concentrating on weight forward, up for the turn but dropping down to drive the edge through the turn (not sure if that is technically either what I was doing, or what I should have been), and it did feel a little better. Mark and I continued for a few more runs after we had bid Paul au revoir, by which time I was starting to tire a little, and it was time to call it a day. Mark blasted down one more run before joining me back at the apartment, where we enjoyed a well deserved demi from our stock chilling perfectly on the balcony.

That will have to do for now, as I must post a couple of pics of the view from our picnic spot; hope you all don’t mind too much, but I feel the view deserves sharing. I do wonder how long I will be bothered to keep posting, and how long you all will be bothered to read it, but while you continue to express interest I will try to post regularly.

Ttfn

johnnyboy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnnyboy, Keep posting but quickly begining to hate you Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
View from our picnic spot
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nice pic!

just finished loading the car so that we can head off straight after work tomorrow afternoon so getting a bit excited here Very Happy

btw which bar has the free wifi?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, having issues posting pics tonight, the rest will have to wait.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyboy, excellent stuff !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnnyboy, you lucky lucky bar steward Toofy Grin Going green Keep up the good work Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great stuff johnnyboy. Particularly jealous of your picnic view.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnnyboy, this is the stuff of legends, an awesome blog/diary. Many thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and how can it be so good and still begin to grate at the same time... Wink Laughing Great stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JB. Rhonda says you should write a book. Seriously, the quality of this blog is outstanding. Keep up the good work snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnnyboy, it's all happening so quickly; you'll be an expert by the end of the season. Better start snowboarding, before you get bored with such effortless progress.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Jonnyboy, Anna and I are already jealous enough, Have you got any space for Christmas dinner? I want to book the flights... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds a bit like you are getting into scenery! Surely not... Post some video of you skiing, it would be cool to see the improvement. Go Johnny! Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TheDT's Welcome to smowHeads snowHead , Oh yes, video (of the crash) would be excellent. Dont go too mad johnnyboy, you do have all season out there.
ski holidays
I'm still with this post - it's excellent. Starts my day off, although I have mixed feelings of jealousy and envy and the of pleasure of reading about your adventure and wondering some day if I could manage to do something similar. Sounds great out there. I would be interested in some more of the back story, if that's not too intrusive. How come you can do this, how are you financing yourself. Are you looking for work? Are you home sick? Can you speak French?
ski holidays
As for injuries, I think you should be worried abous RSI!
snow report
I recognise that lift, how many sleeps to the EOSB?? snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Great to hear you're having such a good time. By the looks of it you'll have taken up photography as well as skiing by the end of the season! But can't help thinking you must be spending more time typing than skiing at the moment......
latest report
Anna and I have just had dinner with Todge at our house, Anna thinks you may be tied up in a corner and the axe man has takenover your blog! Cheers johnnyboy.. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
So, yesterday dawned as bright and clear as the previous couple of days; I, on the other, didn’t. I woke with a raging headache that wasn’t in any way well earned; a mere 2½ pints, and an early night leaving Mark in the bar because I felt so rough even then. I was coughing most of the night, which may have been one of the causes for my pounding head, and despite the prospect of another day of fantastic skiing conditions, I decided the sensible thing to do was to go back to bed. I rummaged through my still not entirely unpacked case, found some paracetamol and decided to watch the end of the DVD I had dozed off to the previous evening.

This set the trend for most of the rest of the day; I did surface, shower and dress about noon, and did my best to finish unpacking properly. After all, if I was missing a day’s skiing, at least I wanted to do something as constructive as possible. By nature I’m not the tidiest of people where my own space is concerned, but, having shared houses at university and beyond, I have always felt it only fair to ensure I was not responsible for a mess in any communal areas. This will apply to the bedroom here over Christmas, as I will have two guests, one male and one female staying with me.

The apartment here is arranged pretty well; there is a bedroom which sleeps 3 in bunk beds and a single to the left as you enter the apartment , a bathroom and separate toilet along with two large cupboards off the hall, then the sejour with typically compact kitchen area, table, chairs and two bench settees that double as beds. There are patio doors from the sejour leading out onto the balcony, which is south facing and gets sun most of the day once it emerges from behind the mountains. Before there is even the slightest hint of gossip, my mate will be in one of the bunks, and my lady guest will be sleeping in the sejour!

So, as my mate Martyn will be kipping in the bedroom with me over Christmas, I had to clear my “still to be unpacked” mess from at least one of the spare beds for him to sleep in. My second guest will be a snowHead who seemed to be having trouble finding accommodation for 5 days or so over Christmas, mainly due to the fact that she couldn’t get a full week off work. She started a thread, and a couple of days and a couple more posts from herself had gained no possible solutions, so I tentatively suggested that I might be able to help. I was a little wary; offering accommodation to a bloke, as I did to Mark in exchange for a lift down, is fraught with far less danger of misinterpretation than offering it to a female, and at that point I knew nothing at all about this poor snowHead except that she was desperate to get away to the slopes (this bit I could at least sympathise with though).

I wasn’t certain my mate was going to be able to make it out for Christmas; as much as he wanted to, he has some ongoing work issues, and he wasn’t sure at the time that he would be able to get away (fortunately he has now confirmed). So, I PMed the snowHead in question explaining the accommodation I had, the fact that it might just be me, or possibly me and a mate, and let her decide if she was interested. Just afterwards, Admin, knowing the snowHead in question, posted in her thread to vouch her easy going nature and good habits Shocked Shocked Shocked and shortly afterwards she PMed me back saying she had no issues with sharing and that, as we are all similarly aged we would stand a good chance of getting along OK. So it comes to pass that flowa will be spending a few days here over Christmas, which I gather she has been keen to post about (not specifically that she with be staying with me of course, but that she will be Christmasing in Val Thorens) but she was reluctant to do so in case I was then inundated with requests from all and sundry for somewhere to stay. However, as I seem to be posting here most days her appearance isn’t likely to come and go without a mention, so I thought I might as well let her share the news too.

So onto today. A few clouds about initially, though they were generally high and didn‘t affect visability too much. However, although the wind that had been strong all night died down a little, it was still very windy this morning, easing further this afternoon, and, feeling rather better than yesterday I at least made it to the slopes. The headache had gone, thanks in large part to using half of my supply of paracetamol already, but also possibly because my cough has been somewhat soothed by the cough medicine the lovely lady pharmacist gave me. Soothed, not gone, but at least heading in the right direction. Yesterday I had intended having a day of practicing my technique; blues and greens only and really working on some of the deficiencies in my technique that Paul had highlighted the previous day, so that was my plan for today. Tomorrow Mark and I hope to make it over to Courchevel, conditions permitting, so in my weakened condition (ah bless) I didn’t want to overdo things either today as I’m really looking forward to getting over there. My first week’s skiing was there a little under two years ago, so I can’t wait to revisit the area for which I’m sure I’ll always have a soft spot for.

That was the plan at any rate, but I initially struggled to find even the coordination to get my hands through the straps of my poles. Not a good sign. My first couple of runs were awful, not in any way building on the slight improvement I had felt skiing with Mark and Paul on Thursday afternoon, but eventually things did get a little better. The overnight and morning wind had blown any loose covering off of most of the pistes, leaving a fairly hard packed base now which is as good a surface as a skier of my standard can hope for, and the fact hat it is changeover day meant the pistes were nigh on deserted; unfortunately whatever bug I have picked up has left me a little short of energy, so I was neither able to practice as I had intended nor cruise around on the empty pistes for too long.

I’ve called it a day quite early as I'm definitely not quite right yet (when was I ever?); off to watch some sport on TV somewhere seeing as it’s Saturday afternoon.

Ttfn

johnnyboy

ps The DT's, Why, because she thinks I'm unable to string two words together?

pps dibblette hopefully will have the route over to Courchevel off pat by the time you get over there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 15-12-07 14:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Extra photo of picnic spot on Thursday
snow report
Paul and Mark when we stoppped for lunch
snow conditions
Great stuff ! Get rid of that cold though ! snowHead
ski holidays
Get well soon johnnyboy. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures living the dream. Smile
snow conditions
johnnyboy, hope you get better soon! Glad you took a morning off to take it easy---after all you have all season there! Very Happy
ski holidays
johnnyboy, aka my Knight in shining armour,
Ah, ok so the cat's out of the bag. Yeah, you're right, it was inevitable - so why not enjoy the chance of having a rave about getting down there Toofy Grin. It's just too exciting snowHead

Reading your blog has fast become addictive and I was itching for my daily fix when I got in last night but when there wasn't one to be had, I did wonder if you were ok. Sad So sorry to hear that you're not well, I hope you feel better soon and keep taking it easy – you’ve got a loooong season ahead of you. Oh and, somewhat selfishly, wink very kind of you to get it over and done with before we arrive.

Off to get my bindings mounted in the morning Very Happy. 1/2 packed Very Happy Very Happy. Only 5 sleeps 'til I start my journey Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

hehehehe, life is good.
snow report
Get well soon. Looking forward to the next installment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
respect for helping out flowa & hope you feel better tomorrow...
ski holidays
johnnyboy, hope you feel better soon and are abble to get back out on the slopes... only because I want to read more blog you understand wink

flowa best of luck wink
snow report
johnnyboy, Excellent thread, on the painkillers front we swore by Efferelgen (sp) when we were in France, you can get them with added Vit C as well.

Keep it up look forward to the installments
latest report
Gilberts Fridge, I love the name, it conjures up all kinds of things in my minds eye. Very Happy
ski holidays
So , after posting yesterday Mark and I met up with Roger c and a couple of his friends who are in Val Thorens for a long weekend; a longer weekend than Matt, one of the guys, realised! He was under the mistaken impression that they would be heading back this afternoon, and that he would be in work Monday, so on the plus side he has got a whole extra day’s skiing, but he did have to try and get hold of his boss to explain why he wouldn’t be back till Tuesday.

So far I haven’t forgotten too many things that I should have brought out, but I did ask Roger to bring out, of all things, a wire coat hanger if he could, which I must admit was not on my original “to pack” list. So he duly obliged, and wandered around VT with a wire coat hanger on his way to meet me in the Frog. Not since its use as an aerial for a Mark IV Cortina has a better use been found for such an object!

We had a few beers, and Mark and I had a few more before heading home, determined to try to get a decent night’s sleep with our trip to Courchevel lined up for today. I awoke after a reasonable night still struggling with one of the worst diseases on the planet, probably responsible for massive under output whenever and wherever it hits, manflu, also occasionally called the common cold. Despite this, we set off about 9am, heading initially down to Les Menuires. From there we tried to get a chair up higher in the resort, but we were stuck on it 4 or 5 times, taking us forever to gain a relatively small amount of distance. Not a good start to the day, but this was the first weekend that Les Menuires had been properly open, and they are obviously having a few early season teething problems. We made our way up to Roc des Marches and from there down to Meribel Mottaret. There were number of lifts not open at all in Meribel, so we had to modify our route slightly, and eventually took the Saulire 2 up to Saulire before droppng down Creux into Courchevel. We made our way down to 1850, and did a couple of the runs that were my first experience of skiing, before heading back up the mountain for a run down to La Tania. From there we came back up to Col de la Luze, from where we were going to drop down to Meribel itself for a spot of lunch.

This was where things didn’t go quite according to plan. As we were stood at the Col de la Luze, Mark’s preferred route down was Boulevard de la Luze, which, as the name suggests, is actually a road in the summer and, as my legs were now starting to tire, would have provided a nice easy blue down to Meribel. The only slight problem was that the run was ferme, shut. However a number of people could be seen on a track cutting along where the piste would be, had it been bashed, and Mark was confident we would be fine. I was somewhat reluctant, but when an ESF instructor set off along the track, I figured it was, at least, safe, and Mark had skied enough with me for me to have confidence in his assessment of my ability, so off we set. With hindsight, this wasn’t the wisest of decisions we made today!

Initially there was a fairly well defined track, admittedly only one skier width most of the way, but at least at that point I could make out where we were supposed to be going. However, as we proceeded the track was somewhat less well defined, probably in part because people had been leaving it at various points to explore the off piste that the track opened up. Back up on what remained of the track there were flattish bits, which were hard work because it’s tough to pole into powder, and not so flat bits which were hard work because, as the track was far from well defined, I kept finding myself skiing powder, which I’m not equipped to ski yet. Progress was slow, to say the least, and for me exceptionally tiring. It didn’t help that Mark is sure we had left what would be the piste once they get round to bashing it quite some time ago, and the terrain was, at times, quite steep even though we were only trying to cut across it rather than trying to ski down it.

Eventually, after what seemed an age, a piste came into sight in the distance, and Mark confirmed that this was our target; at least now the end was in sight, but not before we had to get around a fairly steep outcrop and then ski a relatively flat bit of heavily tracked powder. Having stayed on my feet the entire time, I was sure I was going to take a tumble when we emerged from the powder onto the beautifully, beautifully, beautifully groomed piste that was so unbelievably welcome to my weary legs, but I managed to stay on my feet, resting there for a moment or two and a couple of photos, before heading down to the bottom of the run. Here I grabbed 5 minutes rest, before Mark confirmed it was only one run down to Meribel, lunch, and a more substantial rest, so off we went. Unfortunately my legs had gone by now, and it really wasn’t very pretty, but the thought of a pint and some grub kept me going until we eventually arrived down in Meribel and had a much needed repast in The Cactus.

The stop put food in my belly, but unfortunately very little energy back into my legs, so we made a fairly direct route, via Mottaret, up to the Mont de la Chambre, and finally back down Pluviometre to Val Thorens, and home. One last bit of energy was required, the removal of the boots, but, this accomplished, I stumbled into a lift and collapsed into my apartment for some much needed recuperation. I was utterly exhausted, and, a couple of hours and a hot bath later, I still am. Still, I managed to visit Les Menuires, Meribel Mottaret, Courcheval, La Tania, Meribel and finally Val Thorens in a day, as well as my somewhat unintended cross country off piste hike! All in all, not a bad day’s skiing, with not a tumble all day!

Ttfn

johnnyboy
snow report
He made me ski this Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
johnnyboy, Oh - we do feel for you... NehNeh Toofy Grin

It looks fab, and I'm not at all jealous Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
johnnyboy wrote:
Still, I managed to visit Les Menuires, Meribel Mottaret, Courcheval, La Tania, Meribel and finally Val Thorens in a day, as well as my somewhat unintended cross country off piste hike! All in all, not a bad day’s skiing, with not a tumble all day!
What, you mean you missd out Orelle wink Gotta leave something for Jan, Feb, Mar & Apr I suppose Toofy Grin
snow report
johnnyboy, once again very readable...keep it up Very Happy
latest report
johnnyboy, wow-- what a marathon trip despite your cold! Your posts read like a thriller, we are all addicted to this thread Little Angel
ski holidays
johnnyboy, Hi there - good to see your season has got off to a great start. Keep posting the blogs and pics - excellent! snowHead
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, ..... and the 'Lost Valley' .... AKA ... 'The Valley of the nearly Lost' ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy