Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy a new pair of ski boots this year as i've never been entirely happy with my current pair. I have quite flat feet and narrow ankles and i've had trouble finding shoes that fit properly pretty much all my life. Ski boots has been an extension of this problem.

When I learnt to ski, finding hire boots that fitted was a nightmare because my feet flapped around inside them so I decided to buy my own. I bought a pair of Nordica CS GT-X's (if that makes any sense) in Munich. When I tried them on in the shop, the felt so snug compared to what I had worn in the past I just bought a pair there and then. Apart from having them thermally fitted, the shop assistant’s didn't really 'fit' them for me.

Since then i've noticed that my feet do move about in them even when they're buckled right down. My heal lifts slightly because there's not enough pressure round my ankle. I've had people change the footbed to reduce the volume which improved things but i'm still not happy.

Anyway, i've worn them for about 3 seasons now and I feel they're holding me back so i've decided to cut my losses and buy a new pair.

Can anyone suggest a boot or manufacturer that make a boot that will fit me well? I'd say I was a good intermediate piste skier and I want to improve. I also want to venture off piste a bit more.

Can you also suggest somewhere to go buy these boots in the Midlands area. I really want someone to fit them for me who knows their stuff to help me round this so I can improve my skiing.

Thanks in advance
Kersh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kersh, http://solutions4feet.co.uk in Bicester which is our very own CEM. Colin will advise the correct make, model & size. You then buy ya boots from Beans down the road & then Colin will do the footbeds, fitting & alignment etc.

Plenty of snowHeads have done exactly this with excellent results, myself included. Don't forget to take beer!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
Kersh, http://solutions4feet.co.uk in Bicester which is our very own CEM. Colin will advise the correct make, model & size. You then buy ya boots from Beans down the road & then Colin will do the footbeds, fitting & alignment etc.

Plenty of snowHeads have done exactly this with excellent results, myself included. Don't forget to take beer!

Just been to see CEM today to get my shiny new Atomic boots and footbeds. So far so good - I'll use them in anger for the first time in 3 weeks snowHead

I was wondering why there was half a box of Grolsch on the work bench - if I'd known that beer was the preferred currency I wouldn't have handed over all those shiny new £20 notes Sad

BTW beer is SO last year - this year's tipple is sloe gin.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice, i'll pay Colin a visit.

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One other question - I know this will be covered when I got to buy new boots but ..... how snug/tight should ski boots be?

I come from the world of climbing where we wear tight fitting rock boots to allow us to get a good feel of the rock and get power right to the toe. If your boots are slightly too big then it makes a huge difference.

So what should a good pair of boots feel like you your feet?

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the same problem with very narrow ankles. After extensive trying out of dozens and dozens of different boots from all makes I ended up with a Lange, which is what my instructor had suggested all along. Even then I had to have the buckles moved to allow a tighter fit. You will have a better selection if you buy in resort, as well as getting them cheaper and perhaps most importantly the option of getting them progressively tweaked throughout your first week with them without having to pay extra for each adjustment (even the best boot fitter is unlikely to get it perfectly right without some feedback from you after having skied with them for a day or two) . It may mean having to ski the first day with your old boots while you are still choosing your boots in resort but for me it was the better option (Lange boots are not widely stocked in the UK, so finding a decent selection from their range and in your size before you travel would be a challenge).

Having said all that even with all the adjustments made I don't have the perfect fit (for that I would probably need to go to one of the Austrian places (Lech ?)that do custom made boots), but at least I am no longer in actual danger on steeper reds / blacks which is where a proper fit around the ankles is most essential.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
truffaut, you have obviously had a bad experience somewhere, here are a couple of things from your post that are a little mis construed

Quote:

(Lange boots are not widely stocked in the UK, so finding a decent selection from their range and in your size before you travel would be a challenge).

well that is simply not true, possible not as widely stocked as salomon but still available
Quote:

Having said all that even with all the adjustments made I don't have the perfect fit (for that I would probably need to go to one of the Austrian places (Lech ?)that do custom made boots),

bootfitters all over the world do custom made boots, just a case of finding the correct shell, modifying it to accomodate the lumps and bumps and inserting a custom liner, the places you talk about are all wery well but in most cases a lot more expensive than the above solutions and often do not give any better results
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy