Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - 1st time visitor needs help

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Will be going to Wengen at New Year for the first time. I know lots of you know it well, so can you advise on good mountain restaurants. Maybe even more important, any that I should give a miss. Also, any suggestions on piste based "circuits" - what's achievable in a day/ half day (for a reasonably competent intermediate)? I'm sure the answers are already on the site, but I was somewhat daunted by the 105 pages discussing the region. I'll try and read through it all, but the snow may have melted again before I finish!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DCG, come on. Read the thread. Every page of it Toofy Grin

Brandegg is a good place to eat, they do great apple fritters. The "served" section of the restaurant is only margainly more expensive and is a nicer experience.
Kleine Schidegg station do a jug of coffee or hot chocolate which you can share between 4 or 5 of you (or have a larger drink to yourself) and works out a lot cheaper than individual drinks.
Wengernalp hotel is a nice stop off for a drink on the way home - not cheap though!
Not eaten at Allmend, but it's another good stop off on the way home.
Mannlichen restaurant is okay. Not been in the "served" part, but the self service is nothing amazing, but reasonable.

Over on the Murren side, Winteregg, Almendhubel and Schilthorn are my usual picks, although the two in the bowl by the bob run are good drinks stops. On a sunny day, the hut up by the chair to the left of the Schilthornbahn (name escapes me) is a good stop off.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Elizabeth means the Riggli chair.

Eigernordwand on Scheidegg, same class as Berghaus Mannlichen mentioned by Elizabeth, but they do do the best Goulashsoup of the region.

Circuits...

Mannlichen Cablecar-Mannlichen Chair, Lager, optionally Tschuggen, Gummi, Arven, Lauberhorn, down to Mary's cafe through either the world cup, or bypass it over wixi piste, Bumps, one of several options down to Mary's cafe at the foot of the Innerwengen chair. Back up, down to wengen, repeat.
If class 2 kiddos (some of them actually liked it) can make it there alive, you can too...

Lauberhorn, wixipiste, fallboden, salzegg, arven, repeat. Top section off the salzegg is fairly difficult here, Salzegg is usually very nice snow, but can be cold (little to no sun there)

Mannlichen - KS: Lager, (tschuggen), gummi, arven (some don't even see this option on piste map)
KS - Mannlichen: Honegg, tschuggen, Lager (optionally mannlichen chair if you don't like poling back to berghaus) (Even less see this option from the piste map) Top of honegg can be a bit more difficult. Honegg can be bypassed in exchange for poling.

From most places, cept the wixi/fallboden/bumps side you can ski directly down to Grindelwald-Grund and back up using either the train to KS (half hourly) or gondola (to Mannlichen)

Racing I can make it from Mannlichen rental to Salzegg and back in 1 hour... Also racing i can do the large circuit around the mountain in 1 hour too. I think using more sane skiing you shouldn't need more then 2.5-3 hours for the large tour.

Arven and Mannlichen chair tend to queue up in peak season... I expect situation around arven to improve a little, with the increased accesibility of the new Honegg.

Should do a beer, i'll be in Wengen/Lauterbrunnen with a few friends during x-mas and New year
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ronald, not Riggli.....that's the one up near Birg.....I mean the one lower down that has a T-bar that meets it at the top.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schiltgrat chair and gimmeln t-bar then
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ta.....Schiltgrat was the name I was trying to recall.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DCG, stay off the falboden chairlift unless you like frozen assets, It's always nicer at Brandegg restaurant in the table service section, the prices are actually generally the same as self service but you should leave a small tip e.g for a typical lunch 2 or 3 Chf per person is about right. However the runs down to the restaurant are only Blues, but long blues arround 6km

Typical circuit:

Up the Mannlichen via cablecar from Wengen, ski down to Lager chairlift, then ski to Gummi Chairlift then to Arven Chairlift, this will take you up to Kleine Scheidegg where you get a choice of directions, if you feel hungry have a meal at one of the many restaurants here or take a trip down to Brandegg and eat there or take the train up to Eigergletscher and if the weather is nice eat on the terrace at the restaurant there before skiing down to the Wixi chairlift and going up the Lauberhorn, otherwise take the Lauberhorn chairlift up from Kl Scheidegg and ski down via Wengeneralp to Innerwengen following the red/blue runs then take the Innerwengen chairlift back up to Allmend before a final run down to Wengen itself, obviously you can add extra runs in to increase the time up to the point where it takes up the whole day
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, This conversation has a familiar sound to it! I'm glad to see it in print as would never have remembered all the names you mentioned over the pizza on Thursday snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Advice on mountain restaurants in Murren -

Winteregg (1578m) - Excellent homemade fresh food served daily...which you can eat in or out depending on the weather. A must try is there Rostis and home made cakes...yum yum
picture of Winteregg restaurant in the summer (cant find one in the winter)

Gimmeln (1813m) - only ever eaten here in the evening as they do great fondues and its a lovely walk/tobaggon back to Murren late at night

Suppenalp & Sonnenberg( 1850m) - both great places for a pit stop, would suggest trying Suppenalp toasties and Sonnenberg homemade cakes with a nice hot chocolate with a drop of rum !!) both restaurants in the picture,Sonnenberg is the closest one

Allmendhubel (1907m) - homemade fresh food served daily with the option of eating in or out.A must try is there Macaroni cheese mix (Fondue and raclette in the eveing and then toboaggan back down to Murren with torch lights !!)

Schiltgrathusi (2100m) - Schilgrat hut , another great place to have a pit stop, fanastic views and great homemade burgers !

Schilthornutte (2432m) - This place has the best views and they have a small mattress dormitory to do a night stop (i've done it and can't speak enough about it) They do excellent food such as raclettes and homemade sausage soup..
follow the closest chairlift down and you will see the hut

Birg (2677m) - In and our self service with fantastic views.Try the sausage Rosti and if its cold have a quick Inferno Coffee...that will wake you up !!

Schilthorn (2970m) - To be honest the food isnt that good but its more about the location and sitting in the revolving restaurant seeing all the mountain peaks....A MUST THOU

Hope you enjoyed this, i have ....lol
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My local is the Wigwam at Kliene Friedegg ! Excellent beer and hot chocolate ! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know if they're still there, but the historical places to stop for a drink later in the day were Mary's Cafe at the bottom of Inner Wengen and the Cafe Oberland just down the hill a little from Allmend. That's where all the 30's - 50's photos were taken.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes, fantastic pics. Have always wanted to go to Wengen - this has reinforced my determination. My husband has a school friend with a place there - must get in touch......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smokin Joe wrote:
My local is the Wigwam at Kliene Friedegg ! Excellent beer and hot chocolate ! snowHead

Ours after skiing would be the old Schilthorn cablecar outside the Jungfrau hotel in Murren -

Wengenits.....the white stuff in the pictures is called snow...lol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Wengenits.....the white stuff in the pictures is called snow...lol

you mean like that stuff that's falling past my window right now, ah wondered what that was.

Nice thread diversion to murren by the way wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would bother with Mary's Cafe as standards have dropped and prices are very high since it changed hands.
ski holidays
Thanks to all you Snowheads for the advice on places to eat and circuits. You've given me a lot to absorb. I'm getting the piste map out right now to work it out. Great pics, Chris Brookes. Let's hope the snow's that good over new year.
latest report
DCG, piste map of Murren, hope you have the time to visit -

http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=52
snow report
pam w, DCG, Just to be sure you realise: the photos are of Murren, not Wengen!

riverman, What a shame! I think Mary died a long time ago - she was very old when I was a kid, and I expect it's changed hands several times since then. Shame to ruin the history though. Sad
ski holidays
If you like pasta and others in your group do also, try the Scheidegg station restaurant and order a Hoppla Boppla, there are two sizes and you can feed 3 people on the smaller one. It works out a very cheap meal. They also Rostizza which is basically a pizza topping on top of rosti (flaked potato!! if you did not know).

If you go to Wengeralp for an afternoon tea you really should try their ruebli torte (carrot cake) it is second to none as far as I am concerned.

easiski,
Quote:

I don't know if they're still there, but the historical places to stop for a drink later in the day were Mary's Cafe at the bottom of Inner Wengen and the Cafe Oberland just down the hill a little from Allmend. That's where all the 30's - 50's photos were taken.

Have not been to Mary's cafe for a while. There is a bar half way down the left side of the bumps below Wengernalp which I know is good for apres ski drinks as I have been there several times with a group I ski with. Justy don't drink too many as you will still need to ski afterwards!!!!!

Sadly Cafe Oberland is no more after being hit by an avalanche in 1999, there is a new restaurant at Allmend which was built to replace it.
latest report
Cafe Oberland was a really nice stop off.....sadly as Annehillskiing says, it was hit by an avalance, killing the owner and his wife as they slept. Allmend, which replaced it, has the benefit of the station for when you ca't ski back to town.

IIRC Mary's Cafe is owned by one of the big hotels.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
IIRC Mary's Cafe is owned by one of the big hotels.

the regina wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy