Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving

Poster: A snowHead
Hi erica2004, and welcome to snowHeads. I nearly suggested you join the South Coasters for their get together, but Tavistock is probably on the north coast of Devon (or not coastal at all) - Geography never my best subject.

I wonder if you could elucidate more on "finish the turn" It seems a sensible comment. If a turn has a start it must have an end, but I dont think I have ever thought about the end of my turns before. I just go from the beginning of one turn to the beginning of the next. Is that what I'm doing wrong?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonpim, you need to complete a turn.
That should mean coming out of the turn at the same speed as you started it, and being stable/in control before you start the next one. (I could say more, but it's 11pm and my mate Thomas Caffrey is starting to kick in)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, well fancy that: there's a Thomas Caffrey here as well! This Thomas says he comes from county Antrim. I wonder if he's any relation to your's? Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm originally from County Antrim. Thomas has been a good friend of mine for several years...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyone wants to educate me more about "completing a turn" I would be interested to know.
But not right now: Thomas is not around this evening; instead Madame Merlot is doing what she does best and my brain stopped long ago.
(Anyone have a pissed smiley?)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Let your tips climb the hill a tad before diving downhill--that's using gravity to slow yourself down before you turn. To use the turn to slow down is an abomination or a skidded turn.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, I like these ones.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.wagenschenke.ch/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where do you guys get your smileys from?
Is there a SmileySearch I don't know about?
And thank you skanky, but I only managed 3 metres.
Where was everyone in Friday afternoon? I would have thought trying to navigate down the road while pissed was every snowHeads idea of fun for end of the week.
I will try again later and see if I can manage further.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, there must be a site limit on size of pictures as you seemingly put in any smilies and the images pop up. Just go the websites and copy the url.

The websites for the one's above (right click and select properties) are:
+ www.yelims.free.fr
+ www.smileys.smileycentral.com
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nolo, an abomination! You crack me up! You go, girl! Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpin. Try smileycentral.com, there's loads on there. Copy the HTML and there you go. Loads to brighten up your posts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That should mean coming out of the turn at the same speed as you started it

WTFH I thought coming out faster than than you go in was what you were looking for... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, if you do that with every turn, you're likely to find yourself embedded in a rock or tree at trailside! Twisted Evil snowHead
ski holidays
David Murdoch, the thing is, if you can control your turns and complete them so that you can maintain speed, then you have "mastered" part of the key to turning, and you are in control. Gaining speed is easy - any skier can ski faster by holding the turn in the fall line longer, or by coming out of the turn before completing it.
snow report
Having just come back from a week's skiing in Obergurgl, I thought I might chip in again. I find this interesting because I'm a newcomer to skiing and each time I go on a ski trip, I learn something different - or I progress - a bit. I have to point out that I always attend lessons. This year we joined group 3, in Obergurgl - the requirements were 'ability to do basic parallel turns' - the lessons would be taught to achieve ' carving on reds'. (To me 'finishing a turn' is the way to control speed - you finish the turn as much up the hill as you wish).
Anyway, I can carve turns on blue runs. The conditions in Obergurgl made the skiing quite difficult for me. The pistes were very hard. So I had at the back of my mind the need to weight the skis more evenly in order to carve, but because the pistes were so hard and slippery, then evenly weighting the skis didn't appear to be as safe as having most of the weight on the downhill ski - for me at this stage in my skiing. BUT, I found it better to do quick short turns on steep, icy reds. Longer, slower turns felt more hazardous. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, that your skiing technique progresses and alters as you become more competent.
In Austria you are taught a method that doesn't start with 'carving' but leads you to it over a period of weeks. Also, you can't 'face the valley' all the time if you want to carve properly, so lose that notion. Puzzled
As a 6th week skier, I am just starting to get a feel for it - you know when you sense it more. Plus, I understand snow a bit more too. Very Happy
Perhaps there is an argument for being taught to carve from the get-go.
snow report
erica2004, you've got it! On harder snow you need more weight on the outside ski to help that edge grip more. As the snow gets easier, you can re-balance your pressure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy