Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The top free skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm watching the ski DVD freebie that we got last night, and also recall seeing some of the video links posted on here. The top free skiers on these still look fantastic. Given the flexibility that they have to jump and roll as they come down these powder and avalanche faces I was wondering would those being filmed be carrying a pack (you don't often see shots of them from behind in the videos) with all these transceivers and shovels etc. that the sensible skiers take with them off piste or are they skiing un-encumbered for the filming?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, that reminds me......apologies to those at MK that I forgot to give the DVD to Embarassed PM me your address and I'll post if it you wish.
snow report
 brian
brian
Megamum, they will definitely be wearing a transceiver (you wear it round your body rather than putting it in clothing or pack as these could get ripped off by an avalanche). Whether they carry shovel and probe will depend on whether their camera crew are handy with rescue equipment or whether they're just skiers out filming each other in which case they would.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

you wear it round your body rather than putting it in clothing or pack as these could get ripped off by an avalanche

Ahhh..........I hadn't appreciated that - makes a lot of sense. Though I don't ever see me doing this sort of thing I read with interest a lot of the information that those of you that are into it post.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum,

The terrain that they ski in the videos.....it is almost inconceivable they wouldn't be carrying packs and avi gear.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are also usually wrapped head to toe in body armour under their outer clothes,have a team on standby in a heli for rescue and have done extensive pre control e.g. dropped cornices on faces, overflown the face and plotted escape routes. Despite all this they still get nailed on a regular basis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only the insane would not be wearing a transciver and even then the other guys probably wouldnt ski with him most will have a backpack rarley seen anyone wihthout one. As for hte body armour it is getting more prevelant in the off piste scene tons of guys wearing it apparently rocks hurt!

Fatbob is bang on shows how heard it is that they can analyse a slope from a chopper with 5/6 guys all with a mass of knowledge and experience and still they can get it wrong
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Days of planning for each 30 second clip on the video.

Agree that they'll all be carrying a pack with emergency gear in. Didn't know about the body armour, but it makes sense. Only ever seen one person wearing it on piste before, and he looked a right numpty. Funnily enough he was skiing in a group with a rather well known ski club that shall remain nameless. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Body armour sounds a good idea. When you see some of them lauch themselves off a cornice and then just for the hell of it sling in a somersault before they land on the next bit of decidedly unsafe looking snow it makes me wonder just how much planning actually goes into it. I note the comments above that the sequences are thoroughly researched and the chap/lass probably knows roughly where he/she is going (I guess some women do it too), but I'm not convinced how much of that actually plays out. When the snow starts to move under them and they nearly disappear in the moving clouds of powder I'm sure they must be doing something to find a way out.

Oh, to hell with it - I think they are just lunatics!! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, You wouldn't spot most unless you actually see them getting dressed as the modern stuff is fairly flexible and fits quite snug.

Have worn my motorcycle body armour when skiing before and it wasn't apparant to the onlooker that i was.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, My brother (who's in the film and video business and can see edits) says you never see more than 3 linked turns before a cut. I can't see it myself, but then I'm not an expert in filming. If you think roughly 3 months to make a video lasting 45 minutes, and that's probably without the editing!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The top free skiers: Charlatanefc, not exactly free, but certainly cheap Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never mind the guys who jump off cliffs. Just what exactly is the point with skiing / boarding over metal rails that will most definitely remove ALL your teeth and / or your reproductive organs at the slightest mistake??? Not only that, but they will f*ck up your edges to boot.
Was there some point that I missed or is this something that goes along with wearing pants that are (somehow) suspended around the lower curves of your buttocks Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy