Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola/Telecabin Technique...

Poster: A snowHead
So, you come to a small gondola/telecabin, the kind that has seats, perhaps for 6-10 people.
What should you do?

Do you stand? If so, where? Near the doors for a quick exit?
If you sit, where do you go for? The corner one? The one nearest the doors?
How do you react if someone gets to "your" seat first?
...or do you just sit beside the most attractive person?

This is IMPORTANT! I'm getting stressed out thinking about it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends how many in your group. We are usually about 6 so our technique is to spread out as far as we ca Laughing n in order to block everyone else then delay boarding as long as possible so there is no chance anyone interlopers can get in with us. Then you settle down and break out the chocolate or open the hip flask. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like to be first in - prefer to be seated by a window as opposed to being squished between people. If you are "last" in an your gondola is not full, there is a risk of someone joing you and forcing you in the middle - especially at those ones with a pesky middle station.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Levitt, ah yes, the dreaded "middle-station pusher".
Does anyone have a recommendation to avoid MSP?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger King,

Like it. Attempt the same with the 2 of us. Not always successful but lots of moving of arms and waving of skis dangerously helps to Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just love to get in with a small party trying to hog a cabin Toofy Grin Especially at a middle station. How can these people be soooo selfish and waste resources wink

You then stand in the doorway and really take your time getting out Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
I just love to get in with a small party trying to hog a cabin Toofy Grin Especially at a middle station. How can these people be soooo selfish and waste resources wink

You then stand in the doorway and really take your time getting out Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get in and up the hill as soon as poss.... don't fart about wanting to be your mates... if you so that, you deserve to get shoved backwards..

People faffing around and making people wait get on my tits..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT wrote:
Get in and up the hill as soon as poss.... don't fart

Good advice Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, I hope you're being ironic I always had you down as a "cool" guy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevew, I don't do irony. Or sarcasm. Ever.

I'm dead serious me. About as cool as a cow's fart on a hot summers day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Massive fart just as you get to the front of the queue, then you get the entire cabin to yourself. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're a group of 6 or so and you're wearing helmets then the pesky middle station isn't a problem. Simply remove a couple of helmets and stick them on ski poles and raise to a height that would fool unsuspecting MSP's and make the cabin look full.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep trying to fit your overwide ski tails into the old style narrow ski slots on the outside of the gondola. Of course they won't magically fit as you keep trying. However as long as not a big bloke with back country skis, they will fit in the cabin with you. By which time it'll be too late for anyone else to get into your personal gondola. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All 5 pupils and instructor have a mega night on the lash. Everyone else gets out before the doors close...nice qiuiet cabin ride Very Happy
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, you have mentioned some of the tactics that need to be considered but not some of the skills and equipment.

The first skill you need to learn is the "I'm even bigger than I look" skill which involves opening your jacket while in the queue, inflating your chest, puffing out your gut and showing off your man boobs, while at the same time subtley holding your elbows out. This works even better if you have been wearing the same inner layers all week, it is a bit of a hot day, and you were on the lash last night, haven't shaved or cleaned your teeth. In the queue loud conversations with gales of smelly laughter help to deter imposters sharing your gondola too.

Regarding equipment, a large day-pack is obligatory, preferably with some obviously rugged equipment clipped to the outside. It is important to let your fellow queuers know just how uncomfortable this will be for them by turning from side to side while in the queue and making sure that at least some of them have sampled the full force of the bag in their faces.
latest report
Seen the best lift technique ever on the penken Gondola in Mayrhofen we all know the one that for febuary resembles a sardine can where hte max 16 person limit is a suggestion and 20 is the reality Toofy Grin Gondala bursting to capacity and just as it got to the end of the platform 2 instructors obvious gondola veterans using there skis for leverage backed in and managed to find room for to more. Absolute genuis snowHead
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
... at the same time subtley holding your elbows out. This works even better if you have been wearing the same inner layers all week, it is a bit of a hot day, and you were on the lash last night, haven't shaved or cleaned your teeth. In the queue loud conversations with gales of smelly laughter help to deter imposters sharing your gondola too...

But isn't there a risk you'll be mistaken for a German?
snow report
Quote:

But isn't there a risk you'll be mistaken for a German?

If you are then surely that virtually guarantees a gondola to yourself. Misssion accomplished wink
ski holidays
Surely the manufacturers of the ABS rucksacs can sell an instantly deployable inflatable skier to block a place?
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, I suppose as an alternative one could bring an inflatable lady and start blowing her up in the lift queue - I suspect this would also ensure a solitary ride in the gondola
latest report
When sking with my young children, I usually push to the front, make sure I'M on the gondola and then rely on my kids' resourcefulness to find me down at the bottom of the mountain ready for the next gondola up Twisted Evil
latest report
Nick L, That would only take up one space - what you need - though personally you may not find it as much fun wink - is an inflatable beachball!
snow report
Nick L, or alternatively it may backfire and you may find yourself in the company of 'like-minded individuals' for the gondola ride. Which probably wouldn't be a good thing Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy