Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier snow reports 2007-08

Poster: A snowHead
rungsp, fair enough, but cheers for posting
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good shape at the weekend, although very warm on Sunday. Wife reported good conditions yesterday, with snow overnight and today (Tuesday)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey BGA, ....I know what B, G and A stand for (according to a rather tipsy Melody).
Your secret if safe(ish) with me!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unreal morning here in Verbier. Wind loaded faces were around 30cm.

2 x Col de Mouch (sp?) 2 x Mont Gele and other assorted treats. Even had a face shot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatmansan, was there til Monday and although warming up we had great conditions all over. The best were Col des Mouches and Stairway although if it has warmed up or snowed I would take advice as it was 'carton-neige' or wind-blown soft stuff which will soon become hard breakable crust if rained on or subject to freeze thaw, causing slippy conditions.

Over towards Thyon the Greppon Blanc was in good nick and the ski down to Maches was superb if a little rocky at the bottom.

Hope it stays in good nick for you...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another superb day in Verbier.

Mini TR here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35389
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, life is tough, right Parlor? are you finishing the day with the usual Chateaubriand in my favourite, regal, Hotel?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, not this evening. Just a humble pizza. Last night my chef cooked me:

Red cabbage gazpacho with whole grain mustard ice cream.

Oyster with passion fruit jelly and horse radish mousse.

Scallop with celeriac puree

Lack of lamb, pommes anna, date puree, goats cheese emulsion and spinach

For dessert pear tart tatin with gorgonzola ice cream.

'05 Petite Arvine from local cave, '89 Pomerol and finished with rather nice local Muscat.

Life is not bad, no.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor, "oooohhhh thhheeeee goood life....."

you were dining alone as usual then? well done for limiting yourself to 3 bottles of wine, up early to work the 'Jumbo' tomorrow eh? wink

BTW thx for the accomodation tips recently, got into the 'Bristol' in the end, lord knows if it's any good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, an epithet foisted on me by a skiing mate after he saw it on an episode of South Park, which alarmingly seems to have stuck. Only two out of three are accurate. I'll leave you to guess which ones. Sky is on for a bollocking when I see her next! As a matter of interest have we met? If we have and it was in the Farinet, I apologise unreservedly for anything I may have said/done/been wearing.

parlor, you need to get your chef onto the foie gras bangers and mash from King's. Superb. Also impressed by the menu at Nevai, although your dinner above sounds reasonable for a Wednesday evening..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA, so are you quite short then in real life ?? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm. I definitely need a word with Melody Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
red 27
Lack of lamb
a shame. Perhaps the chef is getting waylaid by the Fer a Cheval opposite the butcher and having it close on him.... I know it has happened often enough to me! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BGA, were you on Warren's course in Saas Fee in Oct 04?
It was a week where a few days were lost because of high winds. If so, we've met.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Verbier is still in great condition and it looks like we might be getting some weather. We want weather. mmMMMmmmMMMmmm
latest report
Hey parlor, you got guests this weekend?
We are over for the weekend....
snow conditions
rungsp, yes, but no change over day on Sunday. Should be skiing both Saturday and Sunday if you fancy it.
snow report
Anyone in resort? Looks like it's p-ing down with rain Sad
ski holidays
Just back from a cheeky weekend.
Friday night heavy rain on the drive from Geneva...woke up saturday morning to find everything white down in the valley, and we know what that means higher up!
Saturday it was still snowing most of the day with patchy cloud on the slopes hindering visability. At times it was fine, at times it was white.

Sunday....bluebird! beatiful day.

Pistes (all of them) in wonderful condition.
Off piste was obviously cut up ( this is Verbier...powder is tracked out very quickly!) but still good.

....and thank's to Parlor I've joined the Faction Collective!
ski holidays
1/2 Term week for us last week.

Unrelenting blue skies.
Only got warm in last couple of days.

Pistes in remarkably good condition, no bare patches to see.

Off piste is sun-baked and bad if it is south facing, but once it gets well warmed later in the day some nice spring-sugar style.
The north facing itineries are in superb form....lovely consolidated powder...chalky and grippy but moguls that are not very big at all.

Is it my imagination or has the shape of the Mont Fort glacier changed a bit? It really didn't seem as steep as I remember.
latest report
Would echo rungsp's comments. Pistes in surprisingly good shape, despite really high temps, and itineraries similarly good. Traverse into Tortin a bit sketchy yesterday, made worse by various English punters who really couldn't ski crashing into each other (sorry, pet hate). Forecast top up of snow will be welcome though, otherwise my mogul skiing is in danger of improving
ski holidays
BGA, rungsp, Thanks Guys - out next Saturday, so good to hear there's plenty of skiing available.

Although a confirmed 'English Punter' I will try to avoid crashing into others of my ilk Little Angel
snow conditions
Quote:

Although a confirmed 'English Punter' I will try to avoid crashing into others of my ilk

Good man. I apologise for my condescension. I do appear to have developed this irrational irritation with people skiing things that are way beyond their skill level and risking injury to themselves and others. Odd really because I was doing the same thing myself not that long ago! My judgement this weekend was coloured by some complete c**k falling down the steeper bit of Gentianes, completely out of control and nearly killing me. Ending up just spraying me with snow. Then he got up, dusted himself off and snowploughed off. Not a word of apology. Being British, I nearly said something, I can tell you.
If you are out next weekend and skiing Tortin I'll be the large gent skiing behind you, tutting.
ski holidays
BGA, Laughing

No need for an apology - I quite agree.

I had my one go down Tortin in early Jan after a large dump of snow. Quite doable then, totally flat, and nice and steady with a foot or so of powder keeping things calm. A very different beast now I understand, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Quick question for you, how busy was it for you? Did you queue long at Medran? Any other bottlenecks? TIA
snow report
Moguls on Totin werenot big at all.

BGA...tip for you to avoid those dreaded punters:
On Tortin just arrive and go. No traverse=no punters.
The drop off is steeper if you just go straight down, but the rocks are less, the punters are much less and that 'orrible upsy-downsy traverse line is taken out of the equation. I flippin HATE that traverse!!

red 27....queues were surprisingly light. This week is Paris region holidays so will be fairly busy, next week is nowhere holidays....you will have zero bottlenecks to worry about.

BGA...you didn't call, you didn't write.... Sad

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-02-08 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Is it possible to inspect the state of Tortin and Mont Fort from the cable car? I'll be going up in any event if the weather's nice, if only to admire the views from the top. I've done Tortin before, many years ago, and it was fine - beautiful snow and not mogully, though that initial traverse was indeed not great - but I shan't want to do it (and be branded, quite rightly, as an incompetent British punter) if it's got VWs all over it. (I'm not going for a while, so the state it's in now is not relevant.)
ski holidays
rungsp, Good news thanks - my contact in resort evidently winding me up about size of moguls.

Hurtle, I think answer is no... a better view would be from the cable car down from Gentianes perhaps?
ski holidays
rungsp, Embarassed I know and a million apologies. Only a flying visit (out Sat am and back Sun pm), met up with a few people for a 'quiet drink', with the intention of calling and staying sober for a ski on Sunday, things escalated, and the next thing I knew I was at the business end of a magnum of vodka at 1am in the Farinet watching a mate arm wrestle a member of the Russian mafia. The rest as they say is history. I trust you'll be out again in the near future and I will be much more organised. I've now put your number in my phone as well!

red 27, rungsp, is right queues not that bad at the weekend, although my OH has stayed out and when I spoke to her earlier she said it was 25 mins at Medran this morning - possibly due to French hols as rungsp suggests.

Hurtle, if you want to scope Tortin before skiing it you have two options, either go down in the Chassoure bubble which takes you over it, then if you fancy it just come back up in the bubble, or stay high and left as you come off the 3 man Lac des Vaux chairlift and you can see both the traverse and the top part of the run. If you don't fancy it you can sidestep up the hill to the lift station. If you want to enjoy the view off the top of Mont Fort just take the Mont Fort II cable car up, you can see the run, and if you don't fancy it then just come back down in the lift. The straight in route to Tortin thatrungsp suggests avoids the traverse, although the bumps are generally a bit bigger. I sometimes go in that way, although I quite like skiing the Col de Mouche, so unfortunately the traverse is unavoidable as you need to stay high enough to get in there. Of course the real man's option to access Tortin is up Mont Gele and down S couloir but I was suffering vodka sweats so that was not even vaguely an option yesterday
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, BGA, thanks very much, that's most helpful.
ski holidays
Just signing in to this thread as I'm going to Verbier the week after next. I've been lurking on Snowheads for a while but this is my first post.
One question: we're staying in a chalet that allegedly links into the Rouge piste: any ideas if this is skiable at the mom or are we gonna have to bus it up to Medran?
Thanks!
ski holidays
Barry Manilow, I'd be surpised if Rouge is skiable at the mo as it's bang south facing that whole Rouge-Medran link area was getting thin when I was there in Early Jan and they'd had loads of snow.

I'll let you know for sure when I'm out there this w/end
ski holidays
Welcome Barry Manilow, the Rouge is a beginner slope tucked in the middle of town, doesn't connect to anywhere really so unless you are content to ski that all day you are going to need to get to Medran or Savolyeres in any case.
Should be fun for after hours tobogonning though!
snow report
rungsp, But can you not go up that little beginner lift, walk across the road at the top then get another drag, from the top of which you can ski/pole over to Medran? I think that's the Link our large-nosed friend is referring to, although I'm not sure which one is 'Rouge'?
snow report
red 27, I had forgotton that, and from the top of that drag there is a hold-on-tight rope tow which enables you to connect to Combe 2, then to Combe 1 and then to Ruinettes or Atelas 6.

I'm exausted already....Barry...get the bus Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for that guys - that sounds like the sort of thing the tour company meant when they said the Rouge 'links in with the main lift system'! I've been to Verbs a couple of times but was wondering why the piste name didn't ring a bell.
snow conditions
rungsp, that's the one - how stupid does it feel on that rope tow? Laughing

Barry Manilow, As rungsp, says the bus maybe the easier option, I think the 'link', although technically possible, would only be enjoyed by afficiandos with a particular academic interest in draglift technology from yesteryear
latest report
"afficiandos with a particular academic interest in draglift technology from yesteryear"

red27 - that's a perfect description of certain members of our group, for whom the rot really set in when skis and skiwear began to use man-made materials!
snow report
Barry Manilow, Laughing
snow conditions
Barry Manilow, better still, bus or walk to Carrefour then ski across to the two man Mayentzet chair, then up Combe 1. Avoids any queues at Medran and no need to lose your dignity on the drag lift

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-02-08 22:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks BGA, that sounds like a good tip. I'm much enjoying the interactive map (ski.intermaps.ch) with a graphic of each chair going up the mountain when you click on it. Sadly the tow rope mentioned by rungsp and red27 doesn't seem to be shown on the map - it would have been good to see it inching sideways, preferably with a graphic of a skier cursing as he went.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy