Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowHeads.... on the 8,000 mark.... !

Poster: A snowHead
.....nearing the 8,000th snowHead ..... Very Happy

What a story so far ...... ! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank goodness they don't all try and post on here on a regular basis Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By my back-envelope calculations, assuming those 8k are unique users, around 0.01% of the world's riders are SnowHeads members.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Phil Jordan wrote:
Thank goodness they don't all try and post on here on a regular basis Shocked

They can't all use 2 or 3 keyboards at the same time, apart from the Octopus! Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
18 posts, per Snowhead, per day! Hits a million posts for Xmas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, 8000 registered, but less than 5% actually post. That's less than 0.75% of UK skiers and boarders that have registered and less than 0.0375% of them posting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tim Brown, According to my figures (using the readily available stats on the board) 48.56821% (roughly) of snowheads have posted. Do you have more accurate information?

You go to four decimal places.........

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tim Brown, how many does fight club have?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, LOL, you're counting people with multiple accounts and people who haven't posted for years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And your figures are derived from....?

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The memberlist. 60% are on 1 or 0 posts and a great swath of the ones on 1 haven't posted for years. I'm even in the top 8% with a mere 1400 posts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm also using the generally accepted figure of 1.2million for the UK skiing and boarding population. To say that 0.0375% of that population post here is being generous, due to the none problem of multiple accounts and also the fact that many poster aren't from that population.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, I think quite a lot depends on your definition of the word "posting". I took it to mean posted. Your definition is obviously not that.

"Years" as a term is also debateable. SnowHeads is only three years old. I know you used the plural, but the term is not too precise. eg Dinosaurs died out years ago. OR I haven't been to Kitzbuhel for years (not since 2004) Both true, but not very meaningful.

I would expect somebody who goes to 4 decimal places and claims to be one who "gives it to you straight" to be a little more, well, accurate.

What are you trying to say about us?

Let's have it straight...

snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Bish, because most people know that the site has only been in existence for 3.5 years, the context of the word 'years' is very clear.
But given the popularity of this site amongst its own 'members', I can understand why you are being so defensive. What is without doubt is that a great swath of the members don't post on this site.

It might be worth having accounts that deactivate after a 12-month period if not logged onto, so as to more accurately report the membership figure. An account that posted once, 3 years ago, and hasn't been used since, shouldn't be counted, should it?
ski holidays
lol
snow report
lol
snow report
snowned wrote:
lol

With 23 posts, you'll be in the top 10% of posters. LOL indeed!
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
snowned wrote:
lol

No I (sorry he) will need 44 posts to do that rolling eyes
snow report
I'd be curious to know how many members pop in from time to time just to check out information, without ever hanging around to post. Certainly during the ski season proper, I'd expect to find a lot of that going on. Obviously during the summer months those members are going to visit less often - if at all.
snow report
However one slices and dices it, much less than 1% of the UK and global ski population is a SnowHeads user.

Plenty of scope for growth.

SnowHeads should do a few surveys and trickle out the results in headline-grabbing press releases during the Fall. Drive some traffic to the site.
ski holidays
II wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:
snowned wrote:
lol

No I (sorry he) will need 44 posts to do that rolling eyes

Yes indeed, a mere 44 posts ensures a place in the top 10%, some of whom haven't posted for over 12-months.
snow report
Congratulations! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hi Tim Brown - nice to see you back.
Tim Brown wrote:
Yes indeed, a mere 44 posts ensures a place in the top 10%, some of whom haven't posted for over 12-months.

Indeed. Although one could also say that about Ski Club site, where traffic is substantially lower than here at the moment.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, that's rather different. In fact it's not the same thing at all. The ski club don't claim that all their members post on the chat forum.

5,600 have made 3 or less posts on here. Anyone with 3 posts is in the top 30% though. LOL!
latest report
Well seeing as I can't remember how many posts I've made, I think I'll make another one. Just so I'm in that 30%.
snow report
oh, 31 posts, might as well do another one then. Just for good luck.
snow conditions
I think I must be one of the highest posters on the Ski Club website, and I've been banned from it for years. I reckon I had over 100 posts on it.

Still, I know which site shows and allows the expression of opinion from a far greater percentage of the UK snowsports population. (clue: it's NOT run by Wombles)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does there HAVE to be so much anti SCGB chatroom sniping?????? Both sites have their place and suit different needs. Don't 'tar everyone wtih the same brush' I know the history but let's move on..... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I don't know the history, is there anywhere I can read about it, or is it very hush hush?
snow report
Tim Brown wrote:
The ski club don't claim that all their members post on the chat forum.

5,600 have made 3 or less posts on here. Anyone with 3 posts is in the top 30% though. LOL!

A good point. If your point is about active membership though then...

Tim Brown wrote:
It might be worth having accounts that deactivate after a 12-month period if not logged onto, so as to more accurately report the membership figure.

...it would be interesting to apply that sort of approach to the Ski Club as well Tim Brown. How would we count "active" members there?

In truth, all membership based organisations will have a very active core of members and a large rump of inactive members.

The more interesting thing to know for Snowheads would be how much of the membership visited the site within the last 9 months say (given the seasonal nature of the subject matter). And the interesting thing for the Ski Club would be to know how many members went on holidays or used the repping service, perhaps.

Like any organisation, snowHeads should be proud of identifying and celebrating milestones. Whether "8,000" members means anything more than the Ski Club's "30,000" members is, as you're rightly pointing out, a moot point and one which I largely agree with.

As a somewhat non-active Ski Club member, I do rather wish that they'd enthuse me more.

Tim Brown wrote:
Yep, 8000 registered, but less than 5% actually post. That's less than 0.75% of UK skiers and boarders that have registered...

Which, on the same basis, gives the Ski Club a "reach" of 2.8% of UK skiers and boarders. Hardly spectacular.
latest report
Is this developing into an argument already!

The words Snowheads and Ski Club in the same thread suggest to me it is rolling eyes
snow report
PhillipStanton, bottom line is that there aren't 8000 people registered, just 8000 accounts. The SCGB report details the data for your interest in the skiing habits of members. As for the SCGB's reach, you should check ABCE:

http://www.abce.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=abce/abce&noc=y
ski holidays
Has anyone got a link to this ski club ? Might check it out.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I think I must be one of the highest posters on the Ski Club website, and I've been banned from it for years. I reckon I had over 100 posts on it.

Still, I know which site shows and allows the expression of opinion from a far greater percentage of the UK snowsports population. (clue: it's NOT run by Wombles)

Two points.

1. "allows" The last I checked, anyone could join and post on the SCGB forum. So that part of your statement is false.

2. "shows" you simply don't know the true number of UK skiers and boarders who post here. So that part is debatable.
snow report
Smokin Joe, no links - they aren't interested in free internet discussion! Laughing
snow conditions
Tim Brown, "allows" as in "freely allows" (hey, I can't even see my own posts on the other site)
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
PhillipStanton, bottom line is that there aren't 8000 people registered, just 8000 accounts. The SCGB report details the data for your interest in the skiing habits of members. As for the SCGB's reach, you should check ABCE:

http://www.abce.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=abce/abce&noc=y

Err, not split hairs, but that would be 8,000 registered. By definition they had to register to get a user id. (Ok, that was splitting hairs.)

Thanks for the link - though that's an apple and bananas comparison - I'm sure that Snowheads could stump up some pretty decent visit and unique user stats.

My point is that, if we're comparing active membership bases then that is just what we should do. I've got no basis for saying so, but I'd be surprised if more than 10% of Ski Club members actually did anything actively with the club.

roga wrote:
Is this developing into an argument already!

The words Snowheads and Ski Club in the same thread suggest to me it is rolling eyes

Not quite - although I'm sure Tim Brown and I could stump up for an argument if you fancy. It's just a discussion at the moment.

I think that Tim Brown and I fundamentally agree that 8,000 is an unreliable number. As is 30,000.

Smokin Joe - stick "www.skiclub.co.uk" into the search box in the top right - the URL doesn't work because of the way the page is being generated.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, you can't counter the point about numbers of snowheads, so you kick out like a child at the old 'enemy'. You should post less and get out more, imo.
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, you can't counter the point about numbers of snowheads, so you kick out like a child at the old 'enemy'. You should post less and get out more, imo.

So, is that a case of "If you can't win with statistics, switch to personal insults"?

I believe that if you were to measure the amount of activity on the snowHeads forum, and compare it to the ski club forum (i.e. like for like) you would be able to produce relevant results. Any other comparison is, in my opinion, invalid, simply due to the different natures of the organisations - one is an internet discussion forum, the other is a business that has a website.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 20-08-07 16:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy