Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New concept car for active living/snowsports

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. I'm a university student designing a concept car for active living, mainly focusing on snow sports and the interior of the vehicle. I hope you don't mind me coming to you for some research to help me create new ideas for a car interior. I'm concentrating on creating the concept of a 4 seated crossover between a coupe and an SUV, sporty and fun to drive to mountains but with a practical interior and 4WD to handle the snowy bits.

What are the five essential features you see in a vehicle/vehicle interior for snowsports and what three innovations would you most like to see in a new model?

Thankyou for your time!
snow report
 brian
brian
covski, some clever way of slotting a few pairs of skis inside without inconveniencing the occupants. If you can run to some self fitting snow chains that would be even better. wink

Oh and welcome to snowHead s.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stability on snowy roads would be vital - so no big clunky high centres of gravity. Under floor stowage for skis and snowboards maybe (because they drip!).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
covski,

- in car ski storage that doesn't get in the way and doesn't get snow melt water everywhere (see Audi/Range Rover seat ski bags)
- external temp gauge
- Lots of heat sources - heated windscreen, mirrors, seats, integrated glove&boot warmers/dryers
- large pedals so you can drive safely with ski boots on (as opposed to less safely)
- integrated snowplough to plough past the idiots who thought they could get away without chains/snowtyres
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how about a cavity underneath all the seats that you can slide skis into. It'll need to be big inside. Think about folk driving to the alps, maybe 4 people in a car, with skis, boots, gear and normal luggage on top of that. Thin tyres to cut through the snow would be a good thing too. Something along the lines of a Honda Element, but with space for skis under the floor and more futaristic looks. Replaceable body panels and they could take a beating in the harsh weather. Space in the back to be able to get changed out of the weather. Some kind of winch attached to the car would be good too - for helping other people out of jams. Would be good if it was concealed though.

Plenty leg and head room.

Some kind of fitment inside to attache mountain bikes to would be good too Very Happy Mind you, the best bit of car design for a while (as far as sport equipment goes) is the Vauxhall Corsa with the bike rack built into the bumper that slides away when not in use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think they essential thing for me would be the ski storage! It's such a pain in the backside, even gets irritating when heading to the snow dome etc. Range Rover Sport esque! V8 petrol is fantastic if a little thirsty....put a V8 into it, plenty of power to blast up the mountain passes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nah - a big turbo diesel like the new bmw 1 series engine. It's got 2 turbos, one wee, one big. means no turbo lag but still lots of grunt. and, diesel is cheaper in france, where the mountains are Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, i could go for a v8 diesel i guess.......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
plenty of power to blast up the mountain passes

I would have thought the priority for mountain passes is engine flexibility, manoevrability and road holding, rather than huge amounts of power needed. But absolutely definitely diesel (at least if you assume current continental price differentials will continue). But emissions need to be low - future regulations will dictate that, but also reflecting snow sports lovers respect for the mountain! Maybe like a Prius. Also a device which enables you to switch on de-icing with remote control - no scraping windows. changing gear constantly on mountain roads is a pain, but full time automatic wouldn't be the answer either, given the need to override it on icy roads etc. So maybe switching between the two.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, power and engine flexibility can come at the same time you know...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, petrol is cheaper in Switzerland.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
covski, I think anything that encourages vehicle use is a bad thing. If it is unavoidable to drive, the vehicle should be as economical as possible. It should have hybrid technology at the very least.

Ideally, you'd just have good public transport so a car is not necessary.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, i don't know-on a completely selfish level-i love driving! Especially mountain roads.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski's for the car .... Rolling down the slopes in a Porsche Cayenne would really scare those pesky snowboarders.

In all seriousness the one thing all cars, minibuses and coaches , that drive long distances, need is ....... a way to lean your head to the side so that you can go to sleep without, placing your head on you hand and geting serious ache in your arm or without placing your head on the window pane and getting serious headache from the vibrations.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Maybe with some clever suspension system to give better snow clearance.
ski holidays
parlor, you beat me to it. Jon Olsson's car is awesome Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about, a compartment to put your boots. It would kinda come out when you press a switch, place the boots on it, press switch again and it would go back into the main chassis of the car being essentially "hidden". Then there's ski storage and stability.
snow conditions
Something that stops the door lock from freezing - and allows the windows to lower when it's icy. And a heated windscreen wash bottle. I know it should not freeze up anyway with the right gloop in it - but for whatever reason, you can get caught out.
ski holidays
A genuine 5-seater for those of us with 3-kids. Not 4 seats and the 5th smaller, or really the armrest!

Plenty of internal power for the ipod, satnav, video

A fridge and kettle for a break on the roads

on a more serious note - headlights which can auto-adjust to driving on the right without use of reflectors. While I'm at it a car which you could drive left or right hand drive depending where you are

Looking at your username - I'm guessing you're either at Coventry or Warwick Uni?
snow report
parlor, I want that!
snow conditions
Rossfra8, no you dont its the wrong colour Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
covski,

- integrated snowplough to plough past the idiots who thought they could get away without chains/snowtyres

Is this a typo perhaps surely you ment to type Thermo Nuclear Warhead
ski holidays
I saw a new 911 Turbo blast up the mountains today with 2 pairs of skis on the roof.

Yes please. Very Happy
latest report
Ability to start engine and run heater and demister in resort with doors still locked and no-one inside. I have had a car in Canada with a block heater, and used another with a built in fan heater plugged in off external mains, but then you have to faff about with power points and cables.

Has to be 4 x4 with decent clearance. Be good to have lights with both LHD and RHD orientations, rather than fiddly stick ons, or driving on dips with the angle down.

Integral roof box for skis?
snow conditions
achilles, silicon spray.

stoatsbrother, remote starter... Try one of these.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, hmmm... now just need to get it to clear the snow from the drive..

of course what a chap really needs is a helicopter Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Rossfra8, said
Quote:
pam w, power and engine flexibility can come at the same time you know...

yes, I realise that. The thing is, you don't need the power. who said this car was supposed to cost a fortune and guzzle gas?
ski holidays
pam w, I don't believe either of those factors have been specified! In addition who suggested a V8 must "guzzle gas" can you inform me what you meat by this? THe new Range Rover Diesel V8 is fantastic, beautiful to drive and you get excellent miles to the gallon-pushing 30 if your stopping/starting etc. Also if you are stuck in the snow for example, the 4WD system and the extra powder under the bonnet help.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
covski,

As I drive in the Alps most weeks during the winter here are the extras I went for on my car .....

Heated front wind screen
Heated seats
Engine heater (so the diesel motor heats up quicker)
Cruise control (useful on those long drives)

The car also has traction control with an indication light and a temp sensor with a warning light (amber = cold, red = freezing).

Some 4WD systems start off as 2WD and only apply 4WD when the first two slip. A 4WD system that starts from a standstill in 4WD and then switches to 2WD (for economy) when traction is sufficient is better IMHO.

Winter features useful on other cars .....
The Audi Allroad type suspension allows variable clearance. Low for the motorway, higher for significant snow depths.
A GPS system with realtime updates.
StandHeizung (automatic heating system that warms the car engine and interior up without starting the engine) e.g. webasto http://www.webastoshowroom.com/blueheat/

As for useful new features
A shelf compartment with drain to store skis (either above or below the cars interior)
Storage for shovel and snow chains along with the clothing required to install them (thin protective gloves, head torch, jacket, pad to knee on)
A system to notify someone if the car is involved in an accident with a GPS location

A roof rack to store the mother-in-law, snowboaders and their hoodies Wink
snow conditions
i think Land Rover must be doing the same project as you!

snow report
needs narrower tyres though
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
A genuine 5-seater for those of us with 3-kids. Not 4 seats and the 5th smaller, or really the armrest!

Plenty of them around now Boris, just got an SMax for that reason, can get 3 kids in the back seat, each with their own booster seat, full 3 point harness, and all 3 seats that slide and recline.

Back on topic, I love the idea of underfloor ski storage, and auto fitting snow chains Pam Smile

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
shoogly, what copying the Murano?

latest report
An integral dehumdifier to remove moisture from coats, hats, gloves, boots etc... nothing worse than having to scrape ice from the INSIDE of the windscreen.............. it would need a moisture sensor to switch it off and prevent drying out the occupants....

I would also suggest some kind of snowboard detection device, linked to the satnav and ignition. snowbord detected and satnav switches off ignition on approach to Dover..... Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy