Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transferring apartment deposit to austrian bank

Poster: A snowHead
I need to transfer a 100 euro deposit to an Austrian bank as a deposit for our apartment. I have a name, bank name iban number and bic code to do it but my bank want 20 quid to transfer the cash plus a rubbish exchange rate....how is it usually done?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never found a better way than paying the fees to transfer it. Most UK banks charge about £15 and then the Austrian bank usuall deducts 10-15 Euros from what is received. Then you need to allow about 8 working days for payment.
Life would be a lot easier if more Austrians could take Visa (or even paypal). In some seasons I've booked 3 hotels this way, which at £75 a time, and lots of hassle is a bit of a chore.
Once - when on the 5th beer and 3rd scnhapps in an Austrian apres-ski bar - I had a wacky business idea around doing a paypal gateway to Austrian hotels. Taking deposits via paypal (and via Visa - via paypal) and then transferring money from a local account to the hotel. Would also help for buying those cheap Skis off German ebay (the other big source of my international money transfers)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ollski,

I use these. Works out best on larger amounts

http://www.moneycorp.com/personal/?source=google&kw=ttt%20moneycorp
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
my bank want 20 quid to transfer the cash plus a rubbish exchange rate....how is it usually done?

that's how it's usually done, and it's a pain. However, for such a small amount, you'd save a fortune getting the euros from the post office and posting them in an envelope. Or find a friend with a euro bank account to write a cheque.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ollski, It is better to pay for the whole thing upfront, although more expensive the charges do not become so much of an issue
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ollski, really annoying isn't it? I've always wondered if the landlord would accept paypal you could do that way, but i'm not sure what the cost for that would be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Post Office will do you a cheque in Euros, then post it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ollski wrote:
I need to transfer a 100 euro deposit to an Austrian bank as a deposit for our apartment. I have a name, bank name iban number and bic code to do it but my bank want 20 quid to transfer the cash plus a rubbish exchange rate....how is it usually done?

Why dont you send the whole payment? The transfer cost will not seem so much & you will not have to take the money or change it when you are there.

Alternative. Open a Euro account at a UK bank (They all do them).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Why dont you send the whole payment?

I haven't got it Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, from my experience, if you have a eure account with a UK bank, then they still charge you for an international transfer. Citibank claim they don't but then it's only free to other Citibank banks. I've yet to find a way to avoid the fees.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kamikaze, my Barclays UK account charges me to transfer to my Barclays France account.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ollski,If you have £2k or more open up an austrian bank account and transfer all you have available with moneycorp or other companies of similar stature... you will save on bank charges. The golden rule generally is the more you transfer the less the charges eat into your dosh and the better rate you will get.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would imagine that most Brits holiday in Europe so I do not see why you do not open a Euro account and keep it for life.
It will save you a lot of money in transfers.exchange rates etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, it's a fine judgement. However you do it, it costs money. It costs less on the transfer fee, proportionately, if you do a big transfer (say, £3000) as that costs the same as transferring £50. But that money has an opportunity cost - so unless it's in an interest bearing euro account (which on the whole will bear less interest than an equivalent sterling account) you have to decide which course is the most expensive. I wonder every time I do it, because my sterling is in an account offset against my mortgage, so if I transfer £X to France I am foregoing the mortgage rate on £X for however long it takes me to spend it. What's more, I have to fill in very tedious forms for the privelege of paying an outrageous transfer chage. The girls in the bank do so few euro transfers they're no more familiar with the system than I am, and it's like the Middle Ages. I don't understand why I can't do it online, but there you are! The obvious answer is for the UK to join the euro. (ducks)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's ridiculous - I only pay CHF 5 for international transfers

If you did have an account abroad, then often the cheapest way of transferring money is to write a cheque to yourself and pay it into the foreign account. Not quick, but deffo the cheapest IME
ski holidays
write a cheque to yourself and pay it into the foreign account.

I wonder how that would work with my accounts? I have little experience of this, but when my daughter had tax back in Australian dollars, by cheque, they said it would take six months to clear, or something ridiculous. And I suspect the exchange rate wasn't the greatest. For small amounts, like a £50 deposit, I still think my suggestion of banknotes in an envelope, by post, is the best one.
ski holidays
Eng ch - Most (all?) Austrian banks don't accept cheques now.
ski holidays
It just occurred to me that there may be a fantastic opportunity for a card issuer to come up with a deal that gets them entry into the Austrian small business market. If they made the fees low enough, then they may get enough volume to entice the smaller places to come on board. Maybe?

Until then, we just transfer the whole sum in one go. The interest I forego is negligible compared to the ATM fees - we used to transfer only the deposit and then to multiple ATMs when we got there because the owner would only take cash - and we did not want to travel with that much cash
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy