Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

forget shaped carver: NEW VIDEO from Rax

Poster: A snowHead
parlor - a pair of 80s ski and a couple of box cheese graters should do it for you...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, that's what I was thinking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These are the funniest skiing videos. The Rax team should be commended for making the whole ski community burst out in a fit of hysterics .... it is like Benny Hill on skis .. awesome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sage, stoatsbrother, I think you should look more carefully at the name you have just welcomed. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dypcdiver, well duuuhhhh.... I thought the winking smiley would convey irony. Obviously not. I will try wink wink rolling eyes rolling eyes wink wink Toofy Grin
next time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, Sorry, missed it Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does the guy appear to have fun? "Yup, lots of it"
Does it look remotely graceful? "Nope, definetly not"
Is the guy a good skiier? "Yes, he looks totally out of control, but isn't actually, so he has to be. Also an inexperienced person wouldn't dare anything of this gradient and the speed of movents"

Is he in the backseat? "No doubt, the Raxski fins are... behind the boot, to get pressure on the raised fins you need to move the centre of gravity.... behind the boot. Is there any other way to do that then hanging behind the boot? No."
Is this the most dangerous ski i ever seen? "Yes, superficial cuts from edges, vs deep cuts from the fins. Note: you can get both from the rax ski, and just the less harmful superficial one from a traditional ski"

Quote:

1) All of those listed, plectrum. But you may prefer various models for each specific condition.
So it is a pleasure riding a world cup slalom slope on the new Generation 2008 Glacier (to be announced Mid Jan).
You are not as fast as profis would be but you are faster than all skiers around you and very safe with your
fins. For kickers on a downhill piste you would probably prefer a longer Rax. ETC....

I always tell my beginners guests: The faster you are down, the less good you are skiing (technically).
You don't exactly convince me that down faster is better.

What if those fins catch on a rock on a 40 degree slope?
Broken nose? Torn ligaments?

Nope, i'm very much not convinced about wether this ski is remotely save, both for the environment and the rider him/herself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
PhillipStanton, that's what I was thinking.

There's the making of a snowHeads competition here...

...just think of all those old skis we have laying around...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, Splendid idea.

Here are my first thoughts:

And if they don't work, this looks like fun:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forgot to add:

Canting keels. So hot is sailing just now. Can't wait for it to hit the ski scene.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, we really should chuck in a spinnaker for those flat bits... and some fenders at the front Toofy Grin

Ronald, I agree with every word
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
parlor, we really should chuck in a spinnaker for those flat bits... and some fenders at the front Toofy Grin

Full bullbars (or should that be snowboarderbars) plus hi-beam spotlights would surely complete the picture?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I was thinking laser guided surface to blader missiles... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice to see the teamwork here chaps. We could be in "production" by mid-season if the ideas keep flowing like this... wink

I'd suggest adding a towing hitch - useful for flat sections if you've got any snowboard buddies.

Nope. You're right. Scratch that...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, rob@rar, PhillipStanton, the three of you are geniuses.
ski holidays
Ronald wrote:
1) Is he in the backseat? "No doubt, the Raxski fins are... behind the boot, to get pressure on the raised fins you need to move the centre of gravity.... behind the boot. Is there any other way to do that then hanging behind the boot? No."
2)...What if those fins catch on a rock on a 40 degree slope?
Broken nose? Torn ligaments?

1) "No doubt, the Raxski fins are... behind the boot" is true for existing Rax models, except "Extreme Firn".
The new Rax generation 2008, announced as "Glacier" on the homepage, has its fins under the heel.

2) When fins have been knocked by a rock under the ski,
ski tail shoots in the height and ski tip dashes against the snow
... and you already passed the rock, you are still standing and not knowing why !!
The reason being that front edges of fins are never perpendicular to gliding surface,
rather they are inclined by 0 ("La Fee") to 60 degrees("Hard Rax").
And they are located behind the point of acceleration.
snow report
Tom from Austria, can you send me some please?
snow conditions
Personally I quite like the video... nice to know someone else looks like me when I take on a slope thats too much for me Laughing
ski holidays
And for you budding designers, don't forget to add the furry dice.. after all you'll need it to be stylish wink
snow report
Tom from Austria wrote:
...And they are located behind the point of acceleration.

What Puzzled
snow report
Nealglover wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:
...And they are located behind the point of acceleration.

What Puzzled

The vector of power resulting from the slope-parallel component of body's gravitation
reduced by air drag
acts via ski boots on skis and accelerates them.
Ski themselves underlie higher surface drag.
So "point of acceleration" = ski boot = "Wirkpunkt" in German.

In contrast, ski edges at fat ski tips, so important for shaped skis as direction control
are located in front, offering a dangerous handle for any bump to deviate the skis.
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:

The vector of power resulting from the slope-parallel component of body's gravitation
reduced by air drag
acts via ski boots on skis and accelerates them.

In contrast, ski edges at fat ski tips, so important for shaped skis as direction control
are located in front, offering a dangerous handle for any bump to deviate the skis.

Ah "Vorsprung durch Technik" now it all makes sense wink

snowHead
latest report
Sage, It did? I've had the dictionary out and everything... still don't understand it Embarassed wink
snow conditions
So what happens if the skis don't travel in the fall line and you hit a rock hard with the fins Smile?

The vector of power is the fall line, so i expect the skis to twist under the foot... hopefully opening the front bindings NehNeh if not... ligaments!

I don't see the rax lacking a dangerous edgy handle in the front... why wouldn't the rax be affected by an awkward bump to deviate the ski? The fins? but you don't have to be on the fins all the time.

So i really don't see the rax being Saver with respect to knee injury then a shaped carver. Knee injuries being one of the prime problems of skiing.
ski holidays
Sorry I'm totally missing the point. The video show something I see everyday when a beginer accidentally got on a black run! Puzzled
snow conditions
abc, ok... hands up... it was me.. in disguise... Embarassed wink
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:
reduced by air drag acts via ski boots on skis and accelerates them.

In contrast, ski edges at fat ski tips, so important for shaped skis as direction control are located in front, offering a dangerous handle for any bump to deviate the skis.

What utter crap.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-12-07 8:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
PhillipStanton, I don't think you're right...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, I do Cool
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Sorry I'm totally missing the point. The video show something I see everyday when a beginer accidentally got on a black run! Puzzled

The beginner usually doesn't have James Bold-style weapons attached to his feet rolling eyes
latest report
Just as an aside. If everyone were on these wouldn't the piste get hacked to death very quickly? Offpiste is a different matter.

What happened to the independent trial by (Was it DB)?
latest report
Michael B, Tom F A was a no show...

We await the re match - hopefully with video.
snow conditions
Sage wrote:

Ah "Vorsprung durch Technik" now it all makes sense wink
snowHead

Sage, I am not toffee-nosed.
But fins located behind do change the physics of ski. Ski edges are ineffective.
The whole ski-drag is produduced by a rectangle of 7 x 15 cm.

You could mount fins on wooden ski without steel edges and still get nearly
the same behaviour on soft snow. Or even make fins of hard wood !
Environmentalists' skis made of wood only!

Bio Skis. Not for hard snow, please.
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:
Rax skis turn easily in any circumstance,
so excellent skiers will have a wide field to establish new trends and fashions.

They already have though Tom, Fat Powder skis for Powder, and Carvers for pretty much everything else.

People will never use these in any great numbers, its just not going to happen.

You must have been around the Ski Industry and the mountains long enough to see these crackpot, drunk in the workshop, ideas come and quickly go as many times as I have ?

The reaction from everyone on this, and other, forums to your "idea" must tell you something ?

Sadly This is a representative sample of your intended market, and I really don't think its going all that well, do you ?
snow conditions
Michael B wrote:

Well, DB is somehow busy in Christmas time. But we are in Arlberg Dec 14-16
and could ski together with other Snow Heads located there
Have already invited Stanton, still no answer.

VAUDE Opening at Sonnenkopf.
Hotel Spullersee in Wald am Arlberg,
my mobil 0650 5252550.
snow report
Nealglover wrote:

1) They already have though Tom, Fat Powder skis for Powder, and Carvers for pretty much everything else.
People will never use these in any great numbers, its just not going to happen.

2) You must have been around the Ski Industry and the mountains long enough to see these crackpot, drunk in the workshop, ideas come and quickly go as many times as I have ?

3) The reaction from ... forums to your "idea" ...is not going all that well, do you think?

1) You may be right or you may be wrong.
Forget all "must haves", return-on-investment, ski culture, etc.
If you know that there is someone around riding faster and turning everywhere so easy, someone who has never been as good as you before
- then you will not resist for very long time.
And you become now "someone around riding faster and turning everywhere so easy" for somebody else.....

2) No, I have not been around the ski industry, Nealglover.
That's why I am still normal.

3) No, our discussions in 5 ski forums are going well.
We are surprised by so huge sympathy.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-12-07 13:47; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Michael B wrote:

I turned up at Hochkar ready to try them but Tom had phone problems.
Tried to set a date to ski them at Semmering last week but rain stopped play.
This week is a nightmare with Christmas Parties etc
Next week I'm skiing in Serfaus with the family - may pop over to St Anton but to ski offpiste with a guide.

Plan to meet up with Tom sometime over Christmas / New Year.

Tom,
The following dates might work for me (Die folgenden Tage würden mir vielleicht passen)

Sat 29 Dec
Sun 30 Dec
mon 31 Dec
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:

1) You may be right or you may be wrong.
Forget all "must haves", return-on-investment, ski culture, etc.
If you know that there is someone around riding faster and turning everywhere so easy, someone who has never been as good as you before
- then you will not resist for very long time.
And you become now "someone around riding faster and turning everywhere so easy" for somebody else.....

2) No, I have not been around the ski industry, Nealglover.
That's why I am still normal.

3) Yes, our discussions in 5 ski forums are going well.
We are surprised by so huge sympathy.

1) That is how things progress yes, but I dont believe that there actually IS "someone around riding faster and turning everywhere so easy" Not with any kind of style anyway.

2) By "being around the Ski Industry" I meant being around the mountains, being around people who ski, being a skier, meeting other skiers, seeing everything that comes and goes in the world of skiing.
If you indeed have not been around all of this then that would explain a lot.

3)Which Forums ? I have only seen here and TGR and neither of those threads seemed to give much support to the idea ?
ski holidays
Ronald wrote:

1) So what happens if the skis don't travel in the fall line and you hit a rock hard with the fins?

2) I don't see the rax lacking a dangerous edgy handle in the front... why wouldn't the rax be affected by an awkward bump to deviate the ski?

1) Ronald, front edges of fins are not upright but slant at the angle between 0 and 60 degrees. Knocking a rock under the ski just raises the ski tail abruptly making ski tips dash against the snow surface.
To the skier it looks like any bump. Fins get some scratch. We have never experienced broken or bent fins.

2) Ronald if you ride Rax with ski tips lifted, then there is simply no contact between front part of your ski and the bump.
When rear fins hit the bump, they slow down the movement but never skew the ski.

Forces produced by rear fins always automatically align both skis in actual driving direction and therefore parallel to each other.

Best if you try it
snow report
Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but how the hell can the front edge of the fin be at 0 degrees?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy