Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tiping in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Just got all my tickets and info from Ski Independence today. (Came in a very nice leather case)

It mentions tiping 15% on food, taxis, etc. Any experience? Sounds like a real pain in the ass.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about Canada but in the states you are expected to always tip. These guy's make only minimum wage which isn't enought to live on. They're real pay is from tips.

Strange concept I know to us here, but It does make sense. My Girlfriend until recently worked in a pub where on every round the majority of customers would tip 10 to 20p. Doesn't seem like a lot but at the end of the week it could add up to £70 or so quid. That on top of minimum wage really helped. She moved to a new pub where none of the customers tip and has had to give up the job becuase of it.

In the end of the day it really is up to yourself.. bur can make life better especially if you go back to the same bar or food places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry johnboy, thats about right and where you're staying its assumed you'll be loaded Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, Tipping also extends to buying drinks at a bar. You are expected to tip about 10 to 15% but anything less than a looney (slang for one dollar coin) is seen as insulting. This can really add up if you're buying the odd drink. The real issue is that they are assumed by the tax man to get tips, so if you don't tip they pay tax on what you didn't pay them. (I know this because I lived in Ottawa for 7 months).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sure is the norm, and if you eat in any of the "posh" restaurants, you ought to look to be tipping about 20%

By the way, PLEASE dont forget to tip your ski school instructors, they too are in minimum wage jobs and rely on this income Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The other thing is GST - general sales tax - 7% I think, and if you are in British Columbia 2% PST as well - provincial sales tax. (No PST in Alberta, can't say about other provinces). Prices are always quoted net so by the time you add on GST and a tip the price you pay is about 25% above the displayed price. Often still good value though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good to know this folks, but it sounds like a pretty dump system to me. What if you don't carry much change around? Will they give me change of a $20???

I think the system we have here in the UK is alot more simple. I am not being tight, and I will tip folk when I get there, it just sounds a bit bloody stupid not to have it included in the bloody price to begin with like here in the UK. If I think someone has done a good job and deserves it I will tip them anyway. But the thought of going back to a bar or a resturant where I either forgot or didn't tip enough the first time to be treated differently sounds dumb to me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if you're eating in a restaurant presumably you'll be paying by card or putting it on your room - as you're staying at the Chateau your drinking options will also be limited Laughing so again you'll be putting it on your room and there is a space quite clearly on the bill for a tip.

Don't forget to claim your tax back and make sure it's an official government form and not via a 3rd party because they'll cream off some of your money. I had a holiday in September and just got 81 euros back from the canadian government - OK, not a fortune, but it's a set pair of shoes for my horse - or for me! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next Question:

How much should I budget for food per day? Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner including Tax and Tips?

I had reckoned

Breakfast $10

Lunch $10

Dinner$25

(Not including drinkies)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra, What things /purchases can you claim the tax back on
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
John boy, it depends on where you want to eat, if you're eating in the chateau it can get quite expensive, similarly if you eat out in some of Whistlers finer restaurants. I seem to remember that you could easily pay between 50-100$ pp for fine dining, however there are plenty of cheaper options in the price range that you mention above. Generally the food in Whistler is excellent, with enormous portions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
all you need to know about the GST programme in Canada from this site

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/faqs-e.html

If you go on a package holiday it is already factored into the price, but if you book your own way you can get it back on hotel accomodation and a lot of other things (not food I think) so long as the cost is over $50 per item. Pick up a leaflet at the Canadian airport where you arrive and it will set it all out. You need to get invoices stamped for goods when you leave, to show you are exporting them. You dont need to get accomodation invoices stamped. The info leaflet has a claim form on it. Fill it in when you get back home and send it off with the invoices and wait. A cheque then arrives-in $Cdn- for the refund. Dont use the 3rd party agencies, anyone who can read and write can do it themselves and save the commission.

On eating out Whistler has the whole run of eateries from seriously expensive to Mcdonalds. Your figures are not wide of the mark, though you could splurge a lot more. As said big portions so share and save.

As regards tipping, it is the same as the US so grin and bear it.....they do expect it, not for good service but for any service except say Mcdonalds
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do have to say that I have found the service in Canada to be unfailingly excellent, and well worth the tip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a friend who lives in Canada and i remember her saying that she found it a bit strange that they tip for nearly everything. Then she found out that the basic wages were low, and the staff rely on the tips to live.

At the same time the quality of food etc is supposed to be very good value for money, especially with the strong pound and the service excellent.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When we went to Banff a couple of years ago, some of the restaurants added the tip onto the bill automatically.
latest report
the system takes a little getting used to, especially if you are travelling from one zone to another.
when we were there a couple of years back we spent about $10-$12 each on lunch (and there was always loads), evening meals cost more though, especially if it's a "posh" area so allow about $30 plus if you are having drinks / wine
One thing we did find was that the level of service was fantastic in everwhere snowHead We long to go back.

If you get the chance try a beavers tail.. (no not the small furry animals before someone says something about animal rights etc.)
It's a cross between a doughnut and a pancake, filled with anything you want. Great energy boost
Rob
ski holidays
johnboy,

Even with the tip Canada is great value. Remember that the dollar is only worth about 40p. Remember that the size of the portions will be typically North American (i.e. big). As in all restaurants, everywhere, the biggest markup is on drinks. Finally, remember that the 15% recommendation should be 15% of the basic price, not 15% of the price+GST: a good rule of thumb for calculating the tip is simply to add about double the GST figure qoted on the bill.

Despite the tipping culture in North America, a lot of people outside the restaurant/bar sector in Canada DON'T expect tips, and are suitably delighted when they get one.

DO think about giving your ski instructor a tip: These guys get only a fraction of the amount you hand over for your lesson, and really appreciate it if you recognise their efforts to improve your skills.
ski holidays
Sound advice,

Cheers Acacia Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy