Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breckenridge - do we need a hire car?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're going to Breckenridge next Easter for 2 weeks - any advice on hiring/not hiring a car? We arrive in Denver around 6pm so can either
a) stay over night in Denver then hire car next day & drive to Breckenridge
b) hire car on day we arrive & drive straight to Breckenridge (not favouring this at present due to tiredness after the long journey)
c) transfer coach from Denver to Breckenridge & hire car from Frisco during stay if needed

Any advice would be appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blizt, I'd say take the transfer coach, unless there are 4 of you, in which case a car could be cheaper. From Breck you can get to a lot of the other resorts on shuttle buses (or at least you used to) to the likes of Keystone, Frisco, etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant disagree with Wear The Fox Hat, the buses are great, and free car parks are usually park and ride anyway in Breck. The only advantage would be if planning a trip to Vail as going by bus is a bit tedious Smile

Enjoy the trip Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Assuming two or more travelling, cheapest option is hire a car one way to Breck and ditch it there. Hire again on days you need to go to Vail, and hire again for the trip back to Denver. You can probably figure that out by comparing cost of either options. The only thing I'll add is

1) the drive to Breck is relatively straight forward, on good roads.
2) hiring usually are cheaper for "weekly" so for the two weeks you'll spend there, you might want to have a car for the 2nd week so that you can go to Vail and Beaver Creek. Then drive back to Denver and drop it at the airport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blizt, you can't beat having a car for those hours from 3am when you're alone with your jetlag and fancy getting out. You can hang out down at the gas station and drink coffee, go for a drive, find a decent breakfast place etc. Car's handy for trips down to Silverthorne factory stores or easily getting around the nearby resorts (you might fancy night skiing at Keystone for example). You can get away without one, esp if staying up by the lifts (Great Divide or similar) but it's just more convenient having one handy. Worth dossing in Denver on the first night esp if the road conditions are iffy. Better setting off fresh & early but somehow I never heed my own advice - hate unpacking, reloading etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with Bode Swiller. When we went to Breck we used the car much more than we expected - day trips to neighbouring resorts, stop-offs such as Silverthorne on the journey to and from Breck, the occasional supermarket run, a couple of restaurant trips, etc.

You don't actually need your own transport in Breck, but American life is built around the car. Unless you're really weatching your pennies, I'd get one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Assuming two or more travelling, cheapest option is hire a car one way to Breck and ditch it there. Hire again on days you need to go to Vail, and hire again for the trip back to Denver. You can probably figure that out by comparing cost of either options. The only thing I'll add is

1) the drive to Breck is relatively straight forward, on good roads.
2) hiring usually are cheaper for "weekly" so for the two weeks you'll spend there, you might want to have a car for the 2nd week so that you can go to Vail and Beaver Creek. Then drive back to Denver and drop it at the airport.

It is possible to do your trip without a car, but…how many are in your group and how eager are you to scout out other areas besides Breckenridge? With three or more people it starts to get more economical to hire a car. If there's an interest in visiting Vail, Keystone, Arapaho Basin, etc. a car will be less time consuming then utilizing shuttle bus network. ABC's compromise above may be good one if pricing/availability can be confirmed.
I had a wonderful time at nearby Keystone during Easter week 2007, I wish you similar good luck and weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last time I was there you could get a free bus to Silverthorne shopping
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll contact some car hire places this weekend to get some prices to help make a final decision.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blizt, Did Breckenridge a few years back, in fact we did 2 centres - 1st week Breckenridge and 2nd week Vail. Whilst in Breckenridge we had a couple days over at Keystone and in Vail we did the same at Beaver Creek. I have to say it was the best ski holiday ever for us. wink wink There were 5 of us plus all our own kit so we rented a Chevy van which we need for our kit. Except for when did our excursions we tended to use the resort shuttle buses, but found having own transport useful for going out in the evening as we were on s/c in Breckenridge and BB in Vail.

The 2.5 hours drive from Denver was easy and hard to believe that we got to 12000 feet or so over the Horseshoe pass as one didn't really notice the incline at all. Be prepared to feel the altitude at Breckenridge as the resort altitude is just over 9,000 feet. Skullie

Probably cost more hiring transport than booking the regular transfer bus but a whole lot more convenient went you have got your own wheels. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi blizt,

Have done Colorado about eight times now. I'm with Bode Swiller, lucky33 and David Snell and would go for the car option.

As has been said before the US is geared around the car and you'll be able to come and go as you please.
While WTFH is right about shuttles, I always find that they're never there when you want them and you end up getting your butt frozen off waiting.

The other thing is that you can try the resorts in striking distance and not just those on the pass (or "ticket" as our transatlantic cousins call it). I've driven to Steamboat (although it is a long way), Aspen (overnight in a cheap motel in Glenwood Springs and try out the sulphur springs) and Winter Park (worth the trip just to ski a run called Mary Jane's Backside!) or closer in A-Basin and Loveland. If you're there for a fortnight, you might want to consider these options, after all you've come a long way.

Cheers,

CW
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It bears mentioning that most US car hire firms allow reservations without taking payment. You can cancel quite close to the last minute and thus continually look for better car hire deals via budget, alamo, thrifty, and numerous other car rental companies. When you find a better deal - grab it and drop the first.
FYI: here's an account of my enjoyable Easter '07 visit to the area. http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1022&mode=headlines Did not ski Breck, it's larger than Keystone. I also had a nice, inexpensive day at Loveland ski area on that trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While I'm the first to mention most US resort are very much car-centric, there're times having a car isn't very useful.

- I was at Stowe this past weekend. On Sunday it snow continueously and heavy. It took most people 10-15 min to dig their car out of the snow! In that time, a shuttle bus would usually come and gone. Instead of doing the snow work myself, I took the bus UP the hill but accepted the ride back down. Again, in the time it took (the two of us working together) to dig the car out of its snow tomb, the shuttle bus had come and gone.

- Once you drove your car to the parking at the base, you still have half a mile walk to get from one end of that huge parking lot to the lodge (in many resorts). While a shuttle bus will drop you off right in front of the door.

Having a car is handy. But only if you have plan to use it, like getting to other resorts (which you really should). If you plan to stay put firmly in Breck, there's really not much reason to be saddled with the (cost of the) car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair comment by abc, but I really would do the travelling thing since you've gone all that way, and the outlet shopping at Silverthorne & Dillon.
Many resorts have shuttle buses that bring skiers from the car park to the lifts, so it might not be as bad as abc suggests.
Enjoy!
CW
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi blitz
stayed in breck in march 07 took the transfer and hired a car in frisco (hertz)really looked after us and picked me up at 7am on first day of rental.
payed in the uk before i went, found it cheaper
it is better to hire for 7 days and travel to vail,beaver,copper and keystone and use the free bus service on the rest of your holiday.
we even went to aspen for the weekend Shocked
having said that the shuttle buses are free and not bad but if i go back i would still hire a car for a few days it gives you more choice snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy