Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What advice can anyone give to a first time Whistler visitor

Poster: A snowHead
My finance and I are booked for 10 days in the Fairmont in Feb for our honey moon.

It is our first time skiing outside of Europe. I'm a fairly advanced intermediate, Karen is a Blue run cruiser with the occasional foray onto reds.

Any tips/advice on any aspect of the resort to get the maximum enjoyment would be very much appreciated. Any particular runs to ski, restuarants/bars to visit, stuff to take as we've not skiied outside of the alps, any major differences to be aware of etc is what i'm after.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-12-07 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

My finance and I are booked for 10 days in the Fairmont in Feb for our honey moon.

So I take it you married for money?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lower,

Seriously.

(i) Take advantage of the free ski hosts to show you around each mountain.

(ii) register in an instructional programme like Ski Esprit

(iii) Take the opportunity to ski off-piste (everything inbounds is avalanche-controlled and patrolled)

(iv) Ski Blackcomb glacier on a bluebird day

(v) tip your ski instructor (but not the ski hosts- they do it for fun and suggest you make a donation to the avalanche rescue dogs fund instead)

(vi) Above all.....have fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lower, we had our honeymoon at the Chateau as well Very Happy

I agree with Acacia. The mountain hosts are a good way of getting to know the mountain but you'd do well to go on a programme like Ski Esprit. Tere is so much skiing in Whistler that isn't on pisted runs and Ski Esprit would be a good way to get an introduction to that. In fact, we did our first Ski Esprit when we were on our honeymoon. Definitely don't forget to tip when you're there - there's several threads on this topic somewhere.

For places to eat out you've got some good places in the Upper Village. Monks Grill do fab steaks, La Rua is lovely although it's been a while since I've been there (big portions I seem to remember!). When we stayed at the Chateau they did a seafood buffet (eat as much as you like for $22) which was excellent and worth keeping an eye out to see if there's something similar. BBK's has a very good reputation too. The burgers at Merlins are pretty good too.

In the main village there is a huge choice. La Trattoria di Umberto (or the Trat) is one of our favourites, Araxi (for when we're feeling well off), Hy's for steaks, The Brewhouse for beer and prime rib, Sushi Village for guess what, GLC for apres, Dubhlinn Gate for Irish music. The Wildwood is on the edge of the main village but is a locals favourite for Sunday brunch. Great food and very good value. Of course the Wildflower at the Chateau do a good brunch too. The Cinnamon Bear which is underneath the Hilton is a nice bar and not as noisy as the GLC.

If it's a nice day on the mountain and the Peak to Creek run is open and groomed then that's a nice thing to do late morning, getting down to Dusty's for lunch. Of course there's always the Dave Murray Downhill instead which is the Olympic downhill course and that takes you to Dusty's too. Pulled pork sandwiches with butt rub mayo and fries (and a beer) or if Dusty's Backside is open I like the Breakfast sandwich.

I could go on and on. If you like I could PM you the write-up I sent to some friends of my mum who went to Whistler a few years back. I hope you have a fantastic time. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower wrote:

1. Any tips/advice on any aspect of the resort to get the maximum enjoyment would be very much appreciated.
2. Any particular runs to ski, restuarants/bars to visit,
3. stuff to take as we've not skiied outside of the alps,
4. any major differences to be aware of etc is what i'm after.

Phew! Where to start?

1. Agree with the previous posters: for a first timer, Ski Esprit will get you around fastest. They will also (probably) put you o stuff that you might not venture onto left to your own devices.

2. Runs to ski: As geetee said, Peak to Creek is a great run. For how you describe yourselves, I'd say on Whistler: the Saddle, Dave Murray Downhill (often fenced off for race training at the top though), Ptarmigan, almost anything off the Symphony Express that isn't underneath the very top pylons, ditto Harmony. On Blackcomb: Ridge Runner (by a mile - vapour trails and smiles all the way), Xhiggy's Meadow off the far side of Seventh Heaven, most of the runs down to the Glacier Express from the Rendezvous...

Bars & Restaurants. Personal preference time. The Longhorn is great at the end of the day, but getting a table can be tricky. Try it for lunch. Cittas is great for apres - tables upstairs are easy to find (to get back to the Chateau, get a taxi from the taxi loop behind Moguls). Food: Sachi Sushi is top dog for sushi, Caramba for pizzas, The Keg for cheap steaks, Hys for expensive steaks, Araxi & Umbertos for great (ie world class) food, the Brewhouse for North Am food with a sampler selection of beers. PS: try the super hot wings at Cittas if you like *hot* food. The bubble (Excelerator? Excaliber?) out of Whistler village runs quite late, and if you get out at the first stop you can ski back down to the Fairmont.

3. Stuff to take. Insurance. Buy a crash helmet (you'll feel much better with than without). Swimming kit (for the apres hot tub experience).

4. Major differences. Haven't skiied in Europe for a while, but I assume that it's still the case that pistes are on piste and everything is off piste. In Whistler, there's a ski area boundary - a perimeter around the entire skiable zone. Everything within that is in bounds, even if not pisted. If you have an accident in bounds, you'll get blood wagoned off the mountain.

5. Things to do: Meadow Park ($10 taxi ride out of town) has a gym, two pools and an ice rink. There's an indoor rock climbing wall in the conference centre in the village. And try Cows in the village (by the bridge). Best ice cream I've had. Anywhere. Ever.

Have a great time. Chances are, you'll be back!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 3 sleeps until we go back
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The bubble (Excelerator? Excaliber?) out of Whistler village runs quite late, and if you get out at the first stop you can ski back down to the Fairmont.

Or catch the number 6 shuttle from the village bus loop - go up the steps next to Excalibur gondola and down the other side, turn right and the last bus stop on the right is the Upper Village shuttle bus (free). Or walk - it only takes 10 mins max.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going as a Whistler Virgin too so all this talk is both useful and very whetting to ones appetite....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

So I take it you married for money?

I think she did Very Happy

In all seriousness, this is great stuff and exactly what i was after.

What's Whistler likely to be like temperature wise in early feb? Will our french alpine tk-max's best be warm enough?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee wrote:
lower, we had our honeymoon at the Chateau as well Very Happy

I could go on and on. If you like I could PM you the write-up I sent to some friends of my mum who went to Whistler a few years back. I hope you have a fantastic time. Very Happy

A PM would be very much appreciated!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greg66, off to Whistler for Chrimbo & New Year and very interested to hear about the climbing wall - what's it like?

If its any good will be tempted to take my climbing gear as well as the skis
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hofmeister, Have a look at this - The Great Wall
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lower, I've PM'ed you Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hofmeister wrote:
greg66, off to Whistler for Chrimbo & New Year and very interested to hear about the climbing wall - what's it like?

If its any good will be tempted to take my climbing gear as well as the skis

It's not huge, but it's not tiny either. You can pay for someone to belay you or turn up with a partner. They don't seem to be too bothered about checking whether you can tie in/belay if you do the latter. Shocked

They have auto belays. I'd say that the grading is tough. There's a lot of stuff in there that I think is at least one grade undergraded from what I'm, used to.

Well worth a trip if you climb, IMO. Just be aware that you're going to a small facility in a small town with a lot of climbers in it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 5-12-07 14:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lower wrote:

What's Whistler likely to be like temperature wise in early feb? Will our french alpine tk-max's best be warm enough?

Probably cold. But as it's Whistler, could be anything really. Most likely is cold.

Get some good thermals - eg Helly Hansen.
snow report
Quote:

or if Dusty's Backside is open I like the Breakfast sandwich.

Shocked
latest report
The Pulled Pork Sandwich with Butt Rub Mayo from Dusty's Backside is awesome!
snow report
veeeight,
That sounds like deja vu from RSA
ski holidays
geetee, greg66, thanks for that snowHead , will definately take my gear along - the wife is my regular climbing partner so OK for someone to belay
snow conditions
Please can someone delete this thread!!.... rolling eyes wink
snow report
lower wrote:

Warm enough most likely as Whistler is relatively warm compared to say banff, though it can be very cold also - skied a day a few years ago where the teperature was -25 and the windchill was -50!!
However should it rain (noramlly just low down so don't panic!) or snow lots, which is quite likely, you will quickly realise that TK-Max stuff isn't quite Arcteryx gear.
latest report
stuarth wrote:

Especially the bits about pulled pork sandwhiches in Dusty's!!
Also no-one even think of mentioning the Rimrock!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
stuarth wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Also no-one even think of mentioning the Rimrock!! Madeye-Smiley

or Splitz
or...
snow report
PS Seriously though, since you are on Honeymoon and money's probably less of an object - well you are staying at the Chateau - book a good table at the Rimrock Cafe for dinner, probably need to do this well in advance.
It is pricey (we could only afford to go oafter the end of the season when they were doing local specials) but it is really worth it and for what is probably the best food in town is really not in the least bit pretentious, though of course if you do want pretentious there are plenty of options in Whistler for that!!... snowHead
ski holidays
Just remembered one more (weather dependent) thing. If there's still snow in the village, try an evening doing some x-country skiing around Lost Lake. It's a short walk from the Chateau. Did it last January, and it was magical. Pouring with snow on a sodium-lit track in a silent forest. It felt like Narnia.

Except for the bit where I kept falling sideways, backwards, and on one occasion forwards. And then not being able to get up. Having never done it before, and being with two people who were training for a x-country ski marathon, I was dragged around quite mercilessly like the proverbial cow-bell. Notwithstanding that, I thought it was pretty amazing. Pick your evening carefully, and it's a real treat.
ski holidays
The price didn't seem unreasonable to be honest. We booked early and paid £1500 per person for 10 days bed and breakfast with upgraded room and various other bits and bobs inc. flights with BA from Heathrow and transfers.

There's some really good stuff in this thread. Looks like i'm going to be printing it all out and taking it with us!

We've been advised to buy any new kit out there as with the canadian dollar as it is prices will be very good. We'll be taking our own skis anyway, so no issues with space to bring ski kit back.
snow conditions
davejsy, yes, I realise that doesn't read back so well now.... Laughing

stuarth wrote:

Sad

Shall I bring you one back?

greg66 wrote:

try an evening doing some x-country skiing around Lost Lake

We tried some x-country skiing in Silver Star - ouch!!
snow conditions
Oh and another vote for the Rimrock. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We've been advised to buy any new kit out there as with the canadian dollar as it is prices will be very good.

The Canadian dollar has strengthened considerably of late, at one time it was trading at 1.92. athough it's now drifted back out to over $2 per GBP. Still not bad, but not as good as it has been in the past.
ski holidays
Hi,

I'm going out there mid february with another 5 friends, and was wondering whether anyone knows some cheap places to stay?

Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy