Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

things to do in Val thorens......

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

myself and boyfriend are travelling to val thorens in January.
My boyfriends parents are also thinking of coming along but dont really want to ski.
Do you know if there is much to do in terms of other activities i know they are particularly keen to the husky thing! Do you know if they can do this there?

Thanks
Lynsey Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's quite a long toboggan run Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lintin58, Val Thorens is a high altitude, purpose built ski station. I would hate to be stuck there as a non skier.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-11-07 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a nice walk around the lake between Val T and les Menuires / Reberty, which people take their dogs out to. St Martin down the valley by bus is a proper town and good to spend a day nosing around, and has concerts in the church in the evening.

Umm....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

which people take their dogs out to.

so watch where you walk! How old are they, lintin58? It's a good place to learn (and see the thread on over 50s skiers). But I have to agree that it's quite the wrong spot for non skiers, especially in January when it will quite likely be cold and bleak. If it's also windy, that will make outdoor activity pretty miserable for anyone without the full cold weather gear and a degree of determination. Skiing keeps you warm, but lots of other activities don't. The toboggan run looks fantastic though - you go up in a lift and down for miles. I'd be wary of it myself - probably far more chance of injury than on the slopes. Hence the winking smilie, I expect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I always thought I enjoyed good toboganning as a child until I went skiing and tried a 'proper' mountain style toboggan run. They are absolutely fabulous and I always hope to have one afternoon when its just too grotty to ski, but still OK to toboggan. Our Swiss friends always bring a toboggan with them. Mind you I won't go head first. I also wear my skiing gear inc. helmet and ski gloves and make sure I have strong walking boots on. Then it is just fabulous fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lintin58, are your boyfriend's parents coming along to check you two don't get up to any hanky-panky?
I can see no other reason why two non-skiers would want to go to Val Thorens.
Great resort if you are skiing
Awful place if you're not. Especially in January. They will hate it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lintin58, is your trip fixed? If not, there are loads of great places where your BF's parents would enjoy themselves. And with huskies. Otherwise you will need to persuade them either to ski, or not to come.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lintin58 - I spent most of last holiday in Val Thorens drinking champagne. As "skiing holidays" go - it was pretty damned good...

Alas, the mortgage rate being what it is... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lintin58, they shouldn't miss one of the finest views of the Alps - which is from the top of the Cime de Caron. Pedestrian tickets are available - take the new gondola from the town to the Caron cable car. The trip on the cable car is impressive - and then you get to the top. The views are breathtaking.

They could try ice driving - there's a fleet of Panda 4x4s to be thrown about the ice circuit. Don't know about the details/costs, I'm afraid.

The toboggan run looks mad to me - but lots do it.

There's plenty of good food to be eaten - the Oxalys restaurant is seriously good. Prices to match.

Each evening, there are skidoos for rent - you follow each other around the mountain and it's quite safe.

There's bowling in the centre.

And there's always the Frog.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there are a couple of extremely good restaurants in the VT valley....

i know there is husky dog guy in meribel but not sure of any in val thorens...

there are ski doos in mottaret which is great fun, again not sure about VT look at http://www.valthonet.com/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Admire the superb Alpine architecture.

Seriously, as much as I enjoy going to VT, I would hate to be there as a non-skier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lintin58, .....oops.....Kramer,
Quote:

Admire the superb Alpine architecture
you got there three minutes before me! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, that's quite normal for Kramer, Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a large indoor sports / lesiure centre, with gym, swimming pool, saunas, indoor tennis, squash, etc.
snow report
1. ValTho = Sightseeing / swimming / bowling / icedriving / sledging etc.

2. Meribel = Eating.

3. Courchevel 1850 = Shopping / Eating / Peoplewatching.

4. La Tania = Skijumping.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Wash your mouth out with soap! Shocked

...erm, I'm not sure that's QUITE what I meant to say....

Embarassed
snow report
I can see the point of going to VT for the skiing..although not my kind of place as it is all things bland, IMV
But as a non-skier....defo a NO.

If the olds are keen to make a holiday of it with you, then there are a zillion better places you could pick
snow conditions
JT, and others, I wonder if lintin58 isn't a touch more sneaky than you think
Think about it. You are off for a ski holiday with your girlfriend/boyfriend - would you want your parents along?
No way!
So they chose what they thought was the perfect resort to put the parents off
And - bloody hell! - it don't work: they still want to come
So now poor lintin58 and partner are desperate.
They came on here asking for reasons why boyfriend's parents shouldn't come along
They want clear statements of how ghastly Val Thorens is for non-skiers
Some of you up there are not helping. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I don't mean to sound rude or anything....but I've been to VT and couldn't possibly tell you about any other recreational stuff than the skiing....testament to how amazing the crown jewel of Les Trois Valles is.

Mind you I did spot that ice driving place at the bottom of the main piste...but they were all driving Fiat Pandas so I decided against it.

Whatever about the Frog....Rendez-Vous is a lovely bar with cool tunes and if either of yer boyfriends folks DJ, tell them to bring their tunes as Rendez-Vous has an "Open Deck" policy....and more to the point if either of them are a DJ you've got cool in-laws or your going out with Tony Blackburns Son.

Val Thorens is ace...you'll love it and so will they, ignore the architectural snobs I loved it and I will go back.
snow report
dazman, brilliant! Boyfriend's parents could DJ all night and sleep all day. Why didn't I think of that? Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I did spot that ice driving place at the bottom of the main piste...but they were all driving Fiat Pandas so I decided against it.

You were expecting what, Ferraris perhaps...? Very Happy I'm heading out there in Jan and will report on the ice-driving on my return!
ski holidays
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

I did spot that ice driving place at the bottom of the main piste...but they were all driving Fiat Pandas so I decided against it.

You were expecting what, Ferraris perhaps...? Very Happy I'm heading out there in Jan and will report on the ice-driving on my return!

probably cars like the Porshe Cayenne, BMW X5, Land Rover Sport, Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta Integrale, Suburu Impreza, and Mitsubishi Evo. Toofy Grin
snow report
The big event on the Ice track is the Andross Trophy, details here
http://destinationsflen.eurostar.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=42702
latest report
Quote:

probably cars like the Porshe Cayenne, BMW X5, Land Rover Sport, Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta Integrale, Suburu Impreza, and Mitsubishi Evo

For beginners who don't know what they're doing? Would be nice, Smile but I can't see it somehow. The bodywork repair costs would put them out of business. Fiat Pandas OTH cheap to repair and maintain, if/when the gearbox seizes no big deal, slot a new or reconditioned one in. When the punters crash 'em (and they will) there is a limit to how fast they will be going. All good fun. snowHead
latest report
Also, Fiat Pandas have for many years been the vehicle of choice for many knowledgeable and experienced Alpine drivers - farmers, snowplough pilots, etc. They'd probably out ice-drive a Land Rover Sport....not to mention a Ferrari.
snow conditions
Um thanks FOR ALL THE REPLIES GUYS. We would really like my boyfriends parents to come. I am a little concerned now though........
Basically we have booked a well lush shared chalet and I think they want to come to admire the amazing scenery, do some walking and see some huskies. Do you think this is going to be ok?

If there is anything else to do then that's a bonus. Does anyone know if there are huskies in Val thorens?

Thanks so much for all you help Razz
ski holidays
they could stay in the pub all day ................. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lintin58, so much depends on the individuals. My mum came on two skiing holidays with us. The first one, in a completely unknown and very small Austrian resort, she shared the cooking with me, walked up the road each morning and enjoyed coffee and cakes looking at the toddlers on the nursery slopes, did a little bit of swimming (is there a pool in Val Thorens? I don't know) and did lots of reading. she loved reading, and time to relax and read was a real bonus. The second time, she had become rather disabled and couldn't get out much, and was mortally afraid of icy pavements. But she went up in a gondola once, with a lot of help, did bits of cooking in the chalet (it was self catered) and, again, read a lot. She greatly enjoyed the convivial evenings - we were a group of 11, and had rented a whole chalet in Les Gets, self catering. If your BF's parents enjoy reading, they could be very happy for a week. If they want to be "doing stuff" all the time, it's a bit more questionable. I know that some resorts with lots of shopping and "activities" are supposed to be good for non skiers, but my mother would not have given a hoot for shopping or activities. And remember, the weather could be rather unfriendly, which will again put a premium on ability to entertain oneself. If the chalet is really nice, that will make a big difference.
ski holidays
lintin58, there are no huskies in Val Thorens (to my knowledge) Lots of dogs wandering around normally though. There are some lovely views. There is a nice sports centre with swimming pool, jacuzzi's, sauna, steam room etc... There is ski-dooing. They can go up the Caron lift to get a look at the view. It won't be the most action packed holiday but there are some things to do which will help them while away the time. If they are active they could book onto a snow shoe walking excursion with the ESF.
My parents don't ski and they always have a nice time in VT. It won't be an action packed week for them but tell them to take a couple of books, enjoy the great chalet and if they want to get out and about there is some stuff to do, most certainly.
snow report
Jaysus, I think my Fiat Panda comment irked some of the Snowheads Clarksons.....sorry folks no harm meant.
latest report
Quote:
Lots of dogs wandering around normally though....There is ski-dooing

yes, this is one of the less appealing aspects of French ski resorts. Doings all over the place. wink
snow report
Worry not dazman, no offence taken. I think you can actually take out some higher performance cars, but as with UK rally schools they will probably cost at least twice as much so most punters stick with the Pandas. I've done a few skid-pan and rally school courses over here and they a good laugh whatever you end up driving...... but if the snow is good it might be hard to leave the piste....

Does anyone know if the Val T ice driving runs at night? The resort website is a bit sketchy on detail.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy