Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-parks more dangerous than other slopes, research suggests

Poster: A snowHead
The risk of sustaining a severe injury is more likely in snow-parks than on other ski slopes, according to a study of over 50,000 injury reports carried out at the Department of Physical Education at Laval University in Québec (Canada). The risk of injury severe enough to need an ambulance was 36% greater with skiers and was 14% greater with snowboarders in snow-parks than other slopes. The researchers concluded that this is likely to be due to the type of activities that skiers and boarders take part in at snow-parks....The injuries at the Mondial du Ski this year seem to support these findings, with around 50% of all the injuries occurring in the snow-park, according to the local ski patrol.

The Canadian researchers looked at the severity of injuries sustained by skiers and snowboarders in snow-parks compared with other slopes from 2001 to 2005. A total of 50,593 injury reports were analysed. The participants were injured skiers and snowboarders who reported to the ski patrol with an injury. Two sets (one from snow-parks, one from other slopes) of severely injured cases were defined based on the type of injury and whether the person needed an ambulance. They were compared to injured controls who had not sustained severe injuries. All analyses were controlled for age, sex, skill level, helmet use, season, and type of activity.

Citation: Goulet C et al. Risk factors associated with serious ski patrol-reported injuries sustained by skiers and snowboarders in snow-parks and on other slopes. Can J Public Health 2007;98(5):402-6.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice to see Britain is not the only country the spends money on researching the bloody obvious.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the PSB the helicopter did land near the snowpark many times. Compared to skiing on the snow, flying off it will always be more dangerous. Still riders should know the risks and just because it's dangerous shouldn't mean snowparks should be stopped like what some resorts in Canada plan to do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chalky Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A big part of the problem in my eyes, is that people with insufficient skiing/boarding experience venture into the park and assume that they can do the jumps without hurting themselves. Rather than starting on the smaller baby jumps, they follow the more proficient riders into the big jumps and end up in the air with no control and the wrong amount of speed.

Generally, people who use the parks regularly know what they are doing and understand the risks, but it is the punters who end endangering themselves and others when they don't use a little common sense.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As someone who is finding his feet in the snowpark I'd like a lesson or two on safety but also resorts could have signs up explaining the dangers like they have re avalanche warnings or even what you see in swimming pools.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They usually do on the entrance to fun parks (or at least the good ones do). L2A and Val d'Isere have the parks cordoned off with signs at the entrance gaps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was at the PSB at L2A, I never saw any! but there are so many lines there it's hard to know where the entrance is. I probably wouldn't have fallen like this if I read the signs! snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/nvGteJ0MUqA
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalky wrote:
Nice to see Britain is not the only country the spends money on researching the bloody obvious.

Agreed!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I too am in the camp that thinks it pretty obvious: trying jumps is likely to be more dangerous than just ambling down the piste.

However, like Peter Ross, I would like to do some jumps and twirls and stuff - but how to start?
All the jumps on a standard park seem huge, and all the guys (it does seem to be mostly guys) are a fraction of my age, and all look so cool and competent.
Where does a wrinkly go to for some Beginner Jumps without feeling he will be laughed at?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, Most places do have a beginner park or section tucked away somewhere. I'm 40 and just getting into them but I am starting small and making damn sure I can manage to land in control about 10 times running before going any higher.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You got to start somewhere, and yes it was a bit of a stupid survey.

If 50% of accidents happen at the park, then 50% happen out of the park so you could say skiing outside the park is just as dangerous. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, some ski school do park lesson, check ski school websites at your desinations (I haven't done any yet but interested). One lesson I learned is not to out jump the hill and land on the flat as it is much harder to land, that's why I crumbled in the youtube clip above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure where the park was for your PSB. If it was on the glacier then the park up there is much more expansive and one whole side of the lift track is a park. The regular park down the mountain a bit has some green fencing around it and there is a small gap in this which is the entrance to the park. The halfpipe also has a similar entrance with a sign. Admittedly, the rails and jumps off the poma have no sign, but that lift only serves the park.

I'd like to think that people can ascertain the dangers of flying through the air without needing too many signs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
monkeyskier, not that I'm young anymore but I think most young people in the park have no fear so might not even realise there is a risk! I think it's similar to people skiing off-piste without much awareness of the danger or getting into the sea and not being aware of rips etc.

At the PSB there was only the glacier park as there were very few snow flakes below the glacier.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, depends what you see as young.. I'm 19 and yes I do get scared when I do jumps. I do it reasonably and in phases... Want to start being able to pull off spins and what not this season if things permit me. Children to the age of up to about 15 or so I would say can be quite fearless.

Either way, I think everyone knows there's a risk...
ski holidays
I think it is just a common sense thing. You build yourself up slowly and learn bit by bit as you would with anything.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy