Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions...Decisions.

Poster: A snowHead
Suggestions,opinions, tips please from snowheads who travel independently from the UK to the French alps. We have booked accommodation in Tignes over Newyear. We have plenty of time to drive there and back but this is where i need a bit of help. So many choices. Eg, Car or MPV, Petrol or Diesel. Ferry or tunnel.Drive overnight/early hours/daytime.
I did consider flying/tranfers but the costs are too high as far as i'm concerned.(flights £400 B'ham>Lyon. Return transfer by Altibus £134. Airport parking £50.)
We are about 300 miles from Dover and i reckon its about 1100 miles each way. Anyone got a ballpark figure of travel costs....eg ferries,tolls,fuel,stopovers. This is a first for us so all info welcome. Confused Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
george owen, £500
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Luton to Alps return, £450 via Chunnel, inc tolls, fuel for 3.0l diesel. Early start, driving by day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
george owen, .... I bid £499 to Frosty the Snowman, 's £500 ..... Toofy Grin Do I win .... ?

I drive from Northern Ireland (just once in the season mind you ... ) through Wales, England & France and I allow £250 each way & that's at 'non-premium' times & I also include two packets of Worthers Originals, which, if you are on a budget, would reduce your costs by about £1.60 ...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC wrote:
george owen, .... I bid £499 to Frosty the Snowman, 's £500 ..... Toofy Grin Do I win .... ?

I drive from Northern Ireland (just once in the season mind you ... ) through Wales, England & France and I allow £250 each way & that's at 'non-premium' times & I also include two packets of Worthers Originals, which, if you are on a budget, would reduce your costs by about £1.60 ...... Toofy Grin

Do you feed them to a young 'nephew' as he's sat on your knee Sir Bernard?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
george owen, diesel is usefully cheaper in France. But do you have all those permutations of vehicles at your disposal? If you have to hire, that would obviously add a lot to the costs. How many travelling? You'll need to factor in possible weather delays (fog or snow down through France, for example) and definite traffic delays - maybe several hours of very heavy traffic for the last stage of the journey. What dates/times is your accommodation booked and what leeway to you have for travel, either side? I like the tunnel; far quicker and less hassle, stay sitting in your car. And I pay with Tesco vouchers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george owen,

Speed Ferries normally cheapest way of crossing channel. Channel to Tignes 640 miles on Motorways. Tolls approx 80 euros each way. Driving through the night is normally quieter. Avoid Albertville to Tignes saturday afternoon/evening if possible. Snowchains are required.

Have a good trip & will see you in the Alpaka for a beer Blush
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MPV, Tunnel, nearer £600 (for six of us with a stopover around Reims). See the thread on Telepeage and get one. Take chains, observe speed limits. Put Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry on the cassette/CD/mp3, time will fly by. Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wow, you guys pay way too much

octavia diesel estate,...... ferry £50 return,[£30 if you take speed ferrys] fuel, 3.5 tanks at €40 per tank so allow for 4 tanks at £30 tolls €160 and £40 for a room in the ibis in dijon should you want to stop

so around £330 if you want to stop 1/2 way
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward, Hi Stewart. I won't have to stagger too far to get that beer.....we're staying at your watering hole Very Happy .
CEM, Haven't found a ferry for £50 yet. Puzzled
pam w, Small but fairly new VW car (petrol). Mercedes Vito 112 Cdi (with cruise control). Sprinter camper van. (which is a bit too big and not winterised) Don't own a 4x4.
Flights not looking quite so expensive now rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't get Kitty on a ferry in winter. The thought of her throwing up, feeling dog rough, then having to drive 700 odd miles doesn't appeal. Pay the extra and go Chunnel every time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
george owen, How many in your party? If 3 or 4 and all drivers then an overnight drive in the Vito would be my method (done this twice before). You could use the VW but I guess with the Vito you'll have a bit more room to tretch out when not driving plus extra space for your ski gear. Take the Chunnel (£100?). From northwest I would allow 6 tanks of juice at around £60 per tank, tolls as above. When we did it we left Warrington around 9pm and arrived in Nyon (nr Geneva) at 7:30 local time. Then on to Chamonix for around 9am. Swap drivers every 2 hours and don't stop except to fill up, go to toilet etc.. Coffee and cakes whilst on the move.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think taking a Van will be more expensive in Chunnel/Ferry charges, plus probably more for tolls too. Not sure though as never done it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and snowchains for a van will be more as well, I guess, Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
I wouldn't get Kitty on a ferry in winter. The thought of her throwing up, feeling dog rough, then having to drive 700 odd miles doesn't appeal. Pay the extra and go Chunnel every time.

That's the same with my partner. She once was sea-sick before we left Dover Harbour!
ski holidays
george owen, All costs offset of course by the amount of Beer & Wine you can bring back you and sell to your mates at a profit. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Eurotunnel return free - paid for by clubcard vouchers Cool
latest report
Quote:

I think taking a Van will be more expensive in Chunnel/Ferry charges

You can always argue the toss with the ferry company - the van cost us the same as a car last time on the ferry (but we had to haggle)
snow conditions
Spyderman, don't think a van is much more expensive in Chunnel - we pay for overheight as MPV with roofbox and never noticed much difference between that and normal crossings
snow conditions
Boris is right. the cost is the same overheight or not. They just have different capacities which affect what crossing you can go on. Our MPV and top box needs overheight, but without topbox it doesn't. Have always been charged the same.
snow conditions
george owen, last season sea france £51.95 return, speed ferrys £30

Spyderman, ok even wioth the cost of the tunnel you are still a little high at £500, SLOW DOWN and use less fuel Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi Snowheads. I'm back. We plan to be in Tignes for Thursday evening thus avoiding the weekend hordes. Just two of us travelling (son can't make it Mad ) Also should give us a quiet Saturday for skiing. I don't think the Vito is classed as overheight (its lower than most 4x4s).
Spyderman, Is it worth bringing booze back now that supermarkets are almost giving away?
Have looked into flights but theres very limited availability,no local flights that i could find, (Manchester) and very tight connections in terms of meeting up with Altibus transfers. So here's the rough plan. Drive to Chunnel weds p.m. Cross around Midnight and get some mileage in during the wee small hours. hopefully into Tignes afternoon/early evening.
Spyderman, I had wondered about the wisdom of a late December ferry crossing Puzzled
Thanks for all the info guys. Very Happy
latest report
george owen, still worth bringing wine back.
snow report
CEM wrote:
george owen, last season sea france £51.95 return, speed ferrys £30

Spyderman, ok even wioth the cost of the tunnel you are still a little high at £500, SLOW DOWN and use less fuel Toofy Grin

I didn't say £500, Puzzled I said £450. I get the Chunnel for about £120, about 30mpg in a 3.0l Diesel Espace with a topbox. £450 every time, but I do brim the car a Calais on return to take advantage of cheap diseasel Very Happy 90l tank.
latest report
george owen, if there's just 2 of you then it might be better to take the car rather than the Vito. Just 2 drivers will be v. tiring tho' Good luck and have a great time. snowHead
snow report
Just calculated it for us at approx £425 to include ferry, fuel, food, stop over (forumla 1 at beaune) and tolls.
We have a 3.0L Diesel 4x4 so its almost ceratinly cheaper if you dont have a 4x4.
snow report
I have travelled to the alps a few times, make that 10 + and I reckon with all the add ons you are looking at £500. Look at using speed ferries because they r generally cheaper.
ski holidays
george owen, Have you considered the Hull-Zebrugge or Hull-Rotterdam overnight ferries. I've done it twice with my son now. We can get to Hull in a couple of hours from Bolton and then you have a cabin overnight arriving in Rotterdam or Zeebrugge about 08:00 the next morning. The Rotterdam ferry leaves at leaves at 19:00 and the Zeebrugge at 20:00 IIRC.

This gives you a full day to drive to the resort arriving in the evening. I've found that it's a great relaxing way to start the holiday with a meal and a few drinks followed by the on-board entertainment. Then a good breakfast before setting off in the morning. You can pay for dinner and breakfast when you book which makes it cheaper.

It's P&O Ferries by the way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Just 2 drivers will be v. tiring tho

Not necessarily. It all depends on how accustomed you are to driving long distances. when we go, I do 90% of the driving. Just make sure you stop for coffee etc every two hours. It's not a big deal to drive 8 hours on French autoroutes, with regular stops,if conditions are OK and traffic not too heavy, though it's nice to have someone else take over at least for a bit (my husband falls asleep on motorways - that's why I drive). In fog, snow, etc it all gets much more trying, but then you would probably have to stop anyway - I always get off the motorway if fog is thick, it's just too dangerous. Get Tesco vouchers and do the tunnel, free. It's quicker and less hassle.
ski holidays
Yep, Pam right.... Fuel stops with a coffee and light bite to eat and you should be able to get to Dijon from Calais in around 4 hours...4.5 if you drive slow.

Any free travel is good.. I get the ferry free, btw, but I can't see how the tunnel is less hassle. I've had more hold-ups/carp, on the tunnel than ever on the ferry, but there you go.

And quicker..?? if you take the time entering the port and tunnel area, the difference can be marginal especially as you can eat on the ferries and not have to factor in that stop.

All in all, if I left my house at 04:00 in the morning, for example, I'd be at the same place in the journey 12 hours later, which, from where I live, would be almost in resort.
snow report
Back onto the subject of ever rising costs... Sad Sad any views on breakdown/continental recovery/get-u-there/get-u-home companies?
Just in case it all goes Pete Tong Confused Confused Confused
latest report
Its horses for courses. I'd probably be ok to drive longer during the day but at night you can get tired v. quickly. However you go , go safely have a great time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy