Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fake or Genuine ?

Poster: A snowHead
I was in New York recently and picked up a Spyder jacket a bit cheap. It was bought from a store called Century 21 which is a bit like TXMaxx over here but have I got a bargain or fake? Cost in GBP was £81 after discount and favourable exchange rate. I know it's not top of the range or this years stock but how can I tell for sure if it's genuine? Does any one know of any tell tale signs?

At the price if it only does me one year it ain't too bad but it would be nice to know...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reputable store...its almost certain to be real

You can check

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-Spyder-Jackets-on-eBay-and-How-to-Avoid-Them_W0QQugidZ10000000002121138
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abv, Almost certainly real, but post some pics and I'll tell you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon it will be genuine. The fakes on Ebay tend to come from the far east. Do they do mail order? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman wrote:
abv, Almost certainly real, but post some pics and I'll tell you.

Some pics...

looking at the link above I'm sure there was a model name and number which is a good sign, but I've thrown the labels now. A mate mentioned the old "too good to be true" mantra which got me doubting, but still for £80 you can't go wrong.

Front

Label

Back

Zip in liner (spider logo is visible inside and out)

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
$167, say you got a 25% discount, that would mean $222 for a jacket that isn't this year's, why exactly do you think it's too cheap?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
$167, say you got a 25% discount, that would mean $222 for a jacket that isn't this year's, why exactly do you think it's too cheap?

The cheapest mens Spyder jacket (Leader) on the Snow and Rock website this year is £300 ie $600 Shocked

They don't call it rip off Britain for no reason !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abv, yeah, international retail price setting is crazy-silly. For instance, I'm fairly used to Euro-label goods being stickered $300US in NYC and ~$300CDN in Montreal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the US $ to CAN $ rate then ?

UK £ to US or CAN is roughly 2-1

Generally you can reckon on x price in £ being x price in $ meaning it's already half price. Any extra sale discount or the 10% foreigner discount in places like Macy's is a bonus.

Xmas shopping in NY is a very attractive proposition to the Brits. NehNeh

From the comments above it seems I got a bargain, I'm not worried about the latest styles but a good quality jacket for £80 sounds good to me. I paid over £3 for a pint of crap larger tonight !

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Generally you can reckon on x price in £ being x price in $ meaning it's already half price. Any extra sale discount or the 10% foreigner discount in places like Macy's is a bonus.

Yes. That's exactly the syndrome. Still, one has to protect the importer and in-country warranty provider against arbitrage loss, so I wouldn't expect advertised retail pricing to start tracking exchange rates anytime soon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abv, Well done. Very Happy Spyder Xscap range is their outdoor series. I've got a couple of Xscap pieces, including down jackets. Very few stores in the UK take Xscap products, the likes of S & R and EB tend to stick to the traditional Legend series. Legend series being the most expensive, also means it's the most copied. What you've got is the Real deal. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Spyderman.

Shame they didn't have any matching pants !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Again that's rip-off Britain for you.

The US are always better priced, do better dicounts and are prepared to haggle.

My wife and I got Spyder Venom jakets out of season in America a few years back for under £130 - the pair! At that price it was rude not to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyder cost prices for the uk are fixed by spyder. the uk importer can do nothing about the price differential between uk and usa. the usa cost prices to the retailers are simply lower. in this case it's not rip off britain, the product is pretty much the same price across europe
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abv, Im with you .. I bought 2 Spyder jackets 'in store' in the USA last season at similar prices ( one was $110).

They are over-hyped and over-sold over here ... should only be bought in the US.

Sorry Spyderman, Little Angel Toofy Grin
snow report
Agenterre, No need to be sorry. It's Spyder USA to blame for the prices in Europe not Spyder UK. It's the same with all of the Manufacturers though, way cheaper in USA. They see the UK & EU as a cash cow. Sad
Not so Boots & Skis for some reason. Puzzled
snow conditions
Canada doesn't seem a lot cheaper than here: Hestras over there are about $120+ excl tax and over here £75 so not a lot of difference
ski holidays
Same here. When I was in Vancouver I was on the look out for an all purpose waterproof (needed out there!) and there was nothing that was not the same price or thereabouts as Blighty.
latest report
Hey I got a Spyder Jacket from a Spyder Outlet in Boston for $110 Which is about €80 £55!! So I would say its real Jacket I got was this season's to which was even better Columbous day sale 80% off. Same jacket I bought is €950 in Dublin!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy