Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Chamonix, 3 days early Jan, 2 good intermediates, looking for some advise;

Where should I hire ski's from?
Best place to get a guide for the Vallee Blanche?
Shall I pre book for the Aiguille du Midi/Grand Montets or just turn up?

Was thinking;

Day 1 Le Tour (Wed)
Day 2 Grands Montets (Thurs)
Day 3 Vallee Blanche (Fri) Shall I ski it more than once or move on in the afternoon?

Thanks

TP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tp023,
I would see what the weather forecast is like and book guide for the best day for VB. I think most people take it as an all day affair even though the skiing time isn't long. The guide will sort out your cable car.

You can prebook one ascent of Grand Montets and yes it's worthwhile.

Le Tour is good as I believe are Flegere/Brevent normally but they were a bit soft on our visit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vallée blanche might be a bit tight in early jan - snow needs to fall and fill in crevasses first, so dont get your hopes up for that. If you do, its fun just going down slow, take a day for it and stop in the refuge restaurant thing half way down. its magnificent, no point just skiing fast through it without taking a look.

def go to grands montets, and take a look at Brevent/Flegere also instead of vallée blanche i reckon - some good runs around there and more sunny! in answer to one of your questions, book aguille du midi, just show up for grands montets
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I'd opt for Brevent/Flegere over Le Tour (or "Le Flat", as one of my mates likes to call it..bit unfair if you ask me but that's his opinion!) if I had to choose one or t'other.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Tour is better for off-piste than on piste and quite far away from Chamonix town whereas Le Brevent is a lot closer and from memory has a few decent reds and a fun sweeping black from the very top.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chose le tour as a little rest day. I'll be hitting Chamonix on the back of 6 days skiing already so thought i'd go for a cruise day. If the vallee blanche is closed then I’ll defiantly head off to brevent/flegere.

What about ski hire?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I usually recommend Snell Sports
http://www.cham3s.com/
for skis (Zero G for snowboards). I'd also, personally, pass on Le Tour in favour of Brevent/flegere - you can cruise happily there too, and the black from the top (Charles Bozon) is really special, the scenery is just gorgeous.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tp023,

The first thing you should do on arrival is pop down the guides office and ask what is feasible at that time... You might want to drop over the back of Flegere or off the top of Balma. They will know of the local conditions.
Maybe the Pas de Chevre would be more suitable. That and the VB will depend on how much of this early snow has filled in the crevasses up there. Normally they start thinking about opening it up around end of Jan, but with the recent dumps, maybe they can so so earlier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Evolution 2 are good for guides and are based in an equipment shop in the centre of Chamonix. Sorry i cannot remember the name of it.
Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug, (Charles Bozon), but the skiing isn't, really now is it? Unless you turn right where the sign says left Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy