Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Andorra?

Poster: A snowHead
Still looking for a good deal at Christmas.

Still have a deal to Tignes on hold and also La Ros

Loads of deals to Andorra ranging from £240 -£340. I have never been to Andorra but am curious to find out what it is like. I am not looking at this as our main holiday, so am willing to take a risk.

Anyone been to:

Hotel Arinsal £240.00

Magic Massana £330.00

Cal Ruiz (Pas de la Casa) £315.00

The runs look quite pretty in Pal, so would La Massana be a better base than Arinsal? Is the cable car that connects the two any good? ie are there queues for it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are anything better than a beginner, go for Granvallira, Pas de la Casa, or Soldeu.

More terrain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
id go soldeu aswell-ski school seems to be pretty good aswell-bit quiet over on el tarter side
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely go for one of the GrandValira bases. I prefer Soldeu, but if it's a late deal, there's probably no a problem with Pas (was plesent enough when I had a hot chocolate there).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have been to the Grandvalira (Pas de la Casa-Soldeu-El Tarter) on a few occasions and it is a fantastic ski area- particularly for intermediates, lots of cruisy, well linked runs and a few interesting blacks as well. Pas de la Casa is not as convenient and uglier than Soldeu, being on the far left of the ski area as opposed to Soldeu's central location. It doesn't need much snow to open (good snowmaking facilities) but the snow is sure to be inferior than Tignes' at Christmas- currently there is none whereas Tignes has a 30cm min base.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr. Will,

There is just something about Tignes that doesn't appeal to me. Think it looks a bit bleak.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I last skied this area 21 years ago but I guess the mountains are still the same shape, maybe the horse drag lifts have been replaced by something more modern?

We stayed in La Massana which was a good base as you had access to Arinsal (boring, one slope on a mountain with lots of runs going down that one face all very similar), Pal (as you say very pretty and a good bet if you have bad weather) and the best area was Arcalis (bit of a journey but a great big open bowl lots of good varied runs and because of its higher altitude, excellent snow which we were pleased with in early April....!)

Lets hope the Pyrenees gets some snow VERY SOON, I'm off to the French Pyrennes, Les Angles area (8 resorts on one pass) on Thursday for a long weekend. It may turn out to be a hiking holiday.........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Les Angles last year - stayed in Formiguerres, had a great time, snow arrived the same night we did Very Happy three days brilliant but then not brilliant - big dark skiddies on the main lopes after a couple of days Sad .

Don't underestimate the drive between the resorts........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy wrote:
Dr. Will,

There is just something about Tignes that doesn't appeal to me. Think it looks a bit bleak.

I see your point but it is improving particularly over the last few years, though clearly won't be as lively as Andorra
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, Completely agree with veeeight, Rossfra8, skisimon, Dr. Will, Go to GrandValira. Arinsal is small.
Some great cruising around Soldeu and good fun going from one side all the way over to the other, proper up, down, up, down v shapes all the way across if you know what I mean Puzzled

If you can get a deal at the SportHotel or SportHotel Village in Soldeu - best location.
Or the Nordic in El Tarter - ski in - out. Fantastic bar at the base of the red and blue home runs. Sit on comfy chairs, drinking beer watching the sport outside - particularly if they get that nice icy patch all the way across the red - not visible till you are on it - great viewing at the end of a long day!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Johnboy,

With 6000+ posts I assume that you're an experienced skier. I agree with the views expressed earlier that Grandvalira is a better domain to choose in Andorra than Vallinord. The resorts are well linked have mixed high mountain and tree lined pistes. The best ski area is between Grau Roig and El Tarter. Unless apres ski is your priority, I'd choose to stay in Soldeu rather than Pas de la Casa; it has a central position and much better skiing than Pas.

On the other side of Andorra, again, Pal is more varied and interesting than Arinsal. The link between the two is quick and I've never had to queue so getting between the two is easy.

Skibb
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did Arinsal for Chrismas last year. very disappointing.
Arinsal is essentially one long slope with alot of runs inter-twined. very samey. Pal is far better with tree runs and more variety.
Pal-Arinsal lift was CLOSED alot when we were there due to lack of snow on the Arinsal end. When it opened, you could only access one isolated section of Pal and could not get to the main area due to lack of snow. Despite closure of the link, there was no snow bus from Arinsal to la Massana....absolutely unforgiveable I think. perversely, the bus stopped halfway in the middle of nowhere and we ended up walking (in boots!) and getting taxis.
Arcalis is great....but fiddly to get to. Worth it though.
Hotels in Arinsal are pretty poor generally. Hotel montane served some of the worst food i have ever eaten and we met quite a few people who had abandoned their HB hotels and we're going to retaurants. Princesa Parc wa sparticularly bad for crowds with 2 hour waits for grub!

All in all, I could not recommend Arinsal to you, although clearly, its better with snow. But have you looked at the resorts. snow-making is great, but its really not looking good at the mo....although better than last year.

Don't be fooled by the deals....its 'cause the snow is all coming out of cannons at the mo. not worth the risk in my book. You will rue £100 saved if you have to ski the same 3 slopes all day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you can get a deal at the SportHotel or SportHotel Village in Soldeu - best location.

100% agree.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy, stayed in the Magic Pas a few years back - basic but ok for the price we paid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
biggest problem with any andorra trip is the tour operators who insist on flying into toulouse, which means an unbearable 4 hour transfer, which can become an 8 hour transfer in bad weather, and then a scrum at toulouse check in on the way back. if anyone knows of a TO who flies into spain on a package let me know!
ski holidays
Gollanz - I have to agree with just about everything here! Links between the towns are dire - we missed the last bus back from Pal to Arinsal (I think it was something silly like 4pm) and ended up with a big taxi bill.
gollancz wrote:

Arcalis is great.....

Far more inspiring and varied than Arinsal which, as you said is samey, just one big bowl really.
Quote:

Hotel montane served some of the worst food i have ever eaten

OK if you like school dinners. I remember the "Thai Fishballs served on a bed of rice" ... sounds OK but they were balls of tasteless modge plonked on a pile of white rice. No sauce, nothing. Yummy (not) Confused
Food on the piste was mediocre too; silly themed kids restaurants - asked for a glass of wine in one of them and they just looked puzzled. Again, Arcalis was great; they actually served grown up food.
Quote:
its better with snow

Same goes for Majorca I suppose. Perhaps I'm just too old for 'Reps bar crawls' and similarly classy Arinsal entertainment.
Arinsal is best left for school parties or 'teach the kids to ski' trips.
latest report
Got a deal to France, so Andorra is out for this year
snow report
hy

what about with the prices in Grandvalira?
What I mean:
prices of meals, drink in the restaurants (on the slopes)
prices in the clubs, pubs...

thank in advance
snow conditions
Stani, OK from what I can understand of your post. Eating on the Mountain is best avoided from one of the fast food places it is cr@p. The only good places are at Lac de Pessons and a few in Pas. Prices are about 50% to 70% of what you would pay in France. In Soldeu beer is on average €2 to €2.4 a half, the Iceberg does a happy hour 16:00 to 18:00 I think, when drinks are 2 for 1. Good value food can be found at Slim Jims in Soldeu. There is a good selection of bars and eating places, from Chinese to 5 star international food.
snow report
we stayed here in soldeu

http://www.hotel-roc.com/

run by an english bloke and his spanish wife.

good hotel - basic but clean and tidy. food pretty reasonable and breakfast buffet very good
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
Got a deal to France, so Andorra is out for this year

Hi johnboy, how're you doing? Where in France did you get your deal?
snow report
Mark Hunter,

Hi Mark. Doing well. Good to "see" ya around again.

Going to La Rosiere with Tracks Vacations. Easyjet flights were cheap and well timed, so it fitted together very nicely. You got any trips planned?
snow report
johnboy, nice place that David has. Not stayed there, but did pop in for a beer once. Views are great and what a bumper start!!

I'm off to 3-Vs for the first week in Jan. Not been before and really looking forward to it. We managed to get a decent 35% off in a catered chalet so can't be bad Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy