Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

??Info on La Rosierre ??

Poster: A snowHead
My Girlfriend and I arrive in La Rosierre on the 21st December, my parents and sisters have had to drop out because of serious health scare, we have been unable to get a fefund so are still going, has anyone spent a Christmas period in this region and if so how does it stack up? If anyone has any tips for bars, clubs, restaurants, ski runs it would be appreciated. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Collo, you've come to the right place. La Ros has some dedicated snowHead fans who are mines of information. They'll be along shortly. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Collo, Clubs errrr nope.

Bars:
Petite Danois and straight off the piste at the front de neige - Willy's

Restaurants:
L'Ancolie in Les Eucherts is superb (type it into the Forum Search function above)
Peteite Danois was good

nd thats about it in my experience. We always do catered with kids so boozers, clubs and Restaurants are not my forte.

Look here for reviews http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047
and here for more opinions http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17956

Any queries then fire away.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the help, appreciated.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I notice that Frosty the Snowman could find nothing good to say about the ski runs that you asked about. I have to say that was my experience as well Twisted Evil

If you have a look around this site, you'll see that there are other snowHeads there that week - Johnboy and Mrs Johnboy, a lovely couple who really should know better than go back to La Rosiere Madeye-Smiley .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, are you boredmoaning's less cheery sock puppet? rolling eyes Laughing

Collo As for runs: If they are open then crack on down the 2 low runs served by the Les Eucherts and Petite Bois lift. There are some really nice red runs in La Rosiere, but most are fairly easy. Get over to Italy and get down to La Thuille for lunch. The for lunch. Unfortunately typing in ROSIERE inot the forum search facility is a waste of time due to the resort being the butt of a standing joke. I am sure you will have a great time. As Ray Zorro, says try and link up with the snowheads already there...they are a hoot Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Collo, You'll have a great time, its a fab place. I've been there 3 trips in a row and loved it each time (AND I don't own a chalet there either!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charli939, That is such an un-trendy statement on this forum Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Collo,

We are arriving 23rd Dec for a week in La Ros. Was there last year in January. Looking forward to skiing the low tree runs this year. Frosty knows the place much better than me, but if you fancy skiing together, give me a shout.

There is a lovely restraunt (La Rascard) in La Thuile that I will probably have lunch in a few times.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy,

I see you are going back to La Rosiere.... where are you staying? Bet your chalet companions won't be challenging you to games of "suck the cheese" or "dance like a pirate".... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat,

Off to Le Mouflon again. Good Price, Good Food, Reasonable and well timed flights. I will introduce this years chalet companions to "Suck the Cheese". That was so funny, I have never seen anyone so drunk before!!!

You got any plans sorted for this year?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Un-trendy?? Moi??? Ra-ra skirts and shoulder pads are still in - right? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What is the joke?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Read the very old posts, then ski there, you will find out!

We were tempted by La Rosiere at Christmas a few years after a snowhead continually told us how wonderful it was. Thankfully we were able to brave the wind tunnel and escape to La Thuile most days so we had an excellent holiday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CREVASSE _07,

A few snowheads are very fond of La Rosiere, so it tends to get a fair bit of publicity for a medium sized resort.
latest report
johnboy, off somewhere for a long weekend mid Jan... Geneva flights booked, no resort decided on just yet.

Off to La Tania in March for a week. Was seriously considering the MSB, but it's one week too early (some others in the groups all have an exam during that week), so off to the three valleys the week after instead.
snow report
When we skied there it was brilliant, i looked and cant find anything. What is the joke?
snow report
CREVASSE _07, I have explained it in a PM.
latest report
Just wondering if it would be possible to ski Courmayer from a base in La Ros. Get first lifts to La Thuile. Taxi to Courmayer?
ski holidays
johnboy, I've only done it during thje summer from Courmayer to La Thuile and IIRC it wasn't too far by road, but by the time you got from La Ros to La Thuile, found a taxi and drove to Courmayer I don't think you'd have enough time there to justify the trip.
ski holidays
rob@rar,

What about a day trip to Les Arcs?
snow conditions
johnboy, I take a day trip to La Ros/La Thuile from Les Arcs once or twice a season. It's easy if you have a car, and I think there's a regular bus service from La Ros to Bourg St Maurice which would allow you to whip up to Arc 1600 in the funicular. I think there was a discussion about this on snowHeads a little while ago where someone gave details of the bus service.
ski holidays
rob@rar, johnboy,

There was discussion in this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=taxi&start=0
snow report
johnboy, you are sounding desperate to ski anywhere but La Rosiere - then again, I'm not surprised Laughing
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
johnboy, you are sounding desperate to ski anywhere but La Rosiere - then again, I'm not surprised Laughing

Saucer of Milk for Mr Zorro Laughing
You'll be in big trouble with Frosty la Rosiere Snowman for that one Laughing wink
snow report
johnboy, there is an off-piste route from La Thuile to Courmeyer.
snow conditions
why are you all being so cryptic and sending PMs ?? i have never been to las ros and i am considering it. can anyone tell me succinctly and in an unbaised way the pros and cons of la ros. my time it precious and i cant be ars*d reading loads of posts and previous threads if there is someone out there who can summarise things for me...please !!! thanks
latest report
backhojo, this thread is possibly the best read on La Rosiere http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17956 containing viewpoints from all sides.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo, Here is MY precis
t is quiet
It has a ski area that includes the Italian resort of La Thuile
It is a nice little village/town.
There is no through road.
It is south facing
la Thuile is North facing
La Thuile has a good lift system
La Rosiere has 2 big modern lifts bu the rest are old and slow
The area can suffer from wind
Most of La Rosiere's skiing is of a similar pitch as it is on the same even pitch of a mountain side
The apres is limited
Althought much cheaper than local mega resort neighbours, the Italaian side is even cheaper.
Food is of a good satndard in La Rosiere
La Thuile has 2 or 3 Very good lunch places
The transfer is about 3 hrs from GVA in a good day. The climbe to resrt is steep and windy (bendy)
La Rosiere has virtually no snow cannons
It also has a VERY good snow record
There is some good off piste that doesnt get tracke dout in an hour
The locals are in general VERY pleasent and friendly
It currently has 200cm at 2400M and 160cm at resorrt level Very Happy

I have 2 adventurous kids and we have taken LOTS of other folks with us on 3 holidays there. We have always had a great time. It is NOT a (insert any number of big, famous, steep resort names), but then it does not pretend to be.

For me it is best summed up by this post, a man who writes much better than I do http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14990
latest report
backhojo, I'm new to Snowheads, first post here, so not aware of all the intrigue about this resort! We went to LaRos Just after Xmas last year, the snow was pretty bad whilst we were there but was bad everywhere, I would give it another go in decent conditions. One thing to mention is that the drag lift that links over to Italy is really, really long and a bit of a nightmare especially in poor conditions!

We really liked the bar at le Petit StBernard at the bottom of the pistes, good vin chaud and an amusing owner. The village was small and friendly and there are some nice restaurants though as mentioned above not a huge ammount of apres. I'd say give it a go, espeically with 2 metres of snow on the slopes at the moment Very Happy
ski holidays
Rowlski it is a long but easy drag (8 minutes) An 11 yr old of our party with cerebral palsy and severe distonia, managed it, with some assistance, most days. So shame on us able bodied folks who find it off putting.
snow conditions
Rowlski, welcome to snowHeads. The intrigue about La Ros is a bit of an in-joke due to excessive promotion of the resort by one of our members who has a business there. The teasing is all very light hearted, and quite a few people here have had great holidays in the resort.
snow report
rob@rar, thanks, seems like a great site. Frosty the Snowman, that drag wouldn't put me off and am sure lots including young kids can do it without difficulty but that week what snow there was was often icy as hell and a lot of kids did come off that lift. Suspect it would be easier if the snow was better and hope to try it again someday Smile
snow report
Rowlski, Ooops, welcome to snowHeads Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, You are quite right, sometimes we all need to put things in perspective. I've often whined about that drag and how my legs ache after but I won't again.. just be grateful I can do it at all. Embarassed
snow conditions
Charli939, not to say I wouldn't swap it for a new chairlift. I don't think that will ever happen though, due to the wind in the col.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, maybe we need to invent a drag-chair.. could make a fortune!
latest report
Charli939, the important thing is when they're running both lanes, watch out for the other loose drag coming round the wheel, 'specially if you're over 6 feet tall!

I'm on one of the above mentioned by Frosty the Snowman, and the only disappointments were that the first two days were horrible visibility, and unfortunately in the following days, the snow was not good enough for me to try the low red Fontaine Froide. That aside, had some excellent skiing on both sides of the border, and the BEST lasagne I have ever had at La Rascard. The (self-service) tartiflette at the bottom of the Fort chair is not half-bad either wink
latest report
I can't understand the whining about the very long drag lift. Last Christmas the anticipation of the better snow in La Thuile made it all worth while. The cheaper food, booze and a morning hot chocolate on the sunny terrace at Les Suches, it made it even less painless. Its a pretty steady incline and I'm sure it is worse in bad conditions, but as I've said, worth it.

I've only been to La Ros once, the conditions were dodgy to say the least, but I still liked the place. The locals and staff in resort were friendly, the views are stunning, the transfer is long and tedious, but hey read that for the whole Tarantaise. To all going this Xmas, I an jealous beyond measure, I suppose it doesn't really matter where you go when conditions are this good!

As for runs that are good, for an intermediate like me, La Thuile had the best mix, but then it also had more runs open, I never had the chance to ski Fontain Froid, I feel this year johnboy, and co probably will.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
TallTone, Thanks for the tip! I'm not close to 6' even with skis on but handy to know in case the guy in front of me is! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy