Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Night skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I think that les Houches has an area for night skiing on a Thursday evening. As we are only in the Chamonix Valley for 4 full days skiing im sure we will be taking advantage of this.

A couple of questions.

What is flood lit night skiing like?

Will this be included with the lift pass?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Limited. And darn cold in January. You sort of kid yourself you are enjoying it, but you are not.
2. Yes - in my experience.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Le Glacier du Mont Blanc (1020 - 1410 m) The largest of the minor ski areas, located 4 km down the valley from Chamonix at Bossons (the foot of the Mont Blanc glacier)".

achilles, I agree, its rubbish, ski in the day, and drink at night.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freezing......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Something you have to try once
If you have been skiing all day you will be to tiered though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Echo what others have said - they had some limited night skiing (floodlit) in Panorama - but you were either
1) too tired from skiing all day
2) too cold because its reeeeally cold at night
3) had enough skiing during the day (and had all the mountain to ski not just a small area!)

But hey, worth a go - I wouldn't base my choice of resort on whether they have it or not however. It was included at Pano if you had a day pass. They also sold evening passes but looking at how empty the floodlit area generally was I doubt they sold many....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am usually too knackered to make it out of the bar.

However on the one time I did try it at Alpe D'huez (where they had good lights) Found the light made depth perception a bit strange - every thing looked flat, and spent a lot of time on my bum.

However, certainly soemthing to try once. I think eddyr, has hit the nail on the head - no matter how busy the resort, the floodlit slopes are pretty quiet, so draw your own conclusions!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never done night skiing with flood lights, but I did it in the traditional sense in Gstaad. Stayed up on mountain after skiing all day and built a kicker, did some jumps, had some food. Then late in the evening, our ski instructors had flares and we skied single filed down. It's a bizarre but awesome feeling when you can barely see the slope and have to rely on your knowledge of the area.

Was reallly good fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry, I had an hour on the Les Houches one one evening while I was there for the World Cup. It's right by the road at the Chamonix end of the village (called the Tourchet piste) , a Poma up either side, an area for kid's sledging, and was a bit like a big, outdoor Castleford. Only a Greeny-Blue, passed an hour, think i just paid a few euros on the door (Don't know if it's included in a pass) and yes, it was cold Laughing
In fact it's mentioned here - suggests it might be free:
http://www.chamonix.net/english/skiing/slopes/leshouches.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done it in Soll, Austria - Keystone, Colorado and Salen, Sweden. Yes, it can be bl**dy freezing but I really like it because you can see really well under the lights and the snow making is normally in full flow giving you the odd pocket of powdery stuff. You don't need to do hours of it and it makes for a great prelude to a proper warming apres ski libation or seven. Soll has the best IMO and I hear they've extended it to the top of the Hohe Salve. Other thing is that there are less people around so you can let rip a bit more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have done it a number of times in morgins in the pds - usually included in lift pass pretty much anyway. good dependant on certain things, in bad weather the visibility is a hell of a lot better than during crap daytime weather. If its connected to daytime skiing with a restaurant, i would recommend - finish your usual day skiing at 4-ish, watch the sunset and have a couple drinks and dinner in the restaurant, then ski a couple more runs, then stop and have some gluhwein, then ski a little bit more, then go home and go out! its europe, so nobody goes out till 9 anyway...

dont think i would do it if i had to drive there after dinner or just ski with no warm drinks or food. once your home after a day skiing, theres no point going back out to go sking. might as well stay out if possible!

so in answer, try it out, its fun for a couple runs, its funner if you can drink and eat a bit too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chances are you will find yourself with a small piste to yourself, found it useful on the first night we arrived in ADH because I was gagging for a ski despite the cold, the strange flat lightness of it and the bar lights twinkling at the bottom of the piste. Wouldnt fancy it after a full day's skiing though. Probably good for race training though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done a torch light descent in Val Thorens once. Torches ended up burning out before we were even half way down and everyone had to ski down in pitch black following a skidoo with headlights. Was hard work but everyone got down safely in the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did the torchlight descent once... worst bit was trying not to run into the person in front.. spent the rest of the week picking bits of wax off my ski gear.... Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
they used to run night skiing in tremblant in canada on a couple of nights a week on a couple of blue runs back to the resort with music on the bottom half
it was very cold but real good fun especially on a freshly groomed run at the top with no one else there Laughing
ski holidays
Done it at Keystone, Mont Ste Anne and Obergurgl under lights - Going at high speed on a freshly bashed piste at night is brilliant.

Done it in Engelberg by headtorch light - and that was the best - your eyes adjust a bit, and you start doing things much more by feel.
ski holidays
Am I only one who did it followin a flare then? And to think you're all a lot older than i am... tut tut NehNeh
snow report
Night skiing is horrible.
snow conditions
Timmaah, No - done that in Valfrejus - great fun.

David Goldsmith, you tried it without the floodlights?
ski holidays
Actually to be fair the whole staying up a mountain, having some grudb, and being led down appeals to me. Didn't appeal to me enough to actually do it though!!
snow conditions
Tried it at keystone CO. and was pretty good actually Smile Only mistake we made was going our before it got completely dark( was sat having some food etc on the mountain waiting for the lights ) but once it got completely dark the vis. was great . Great snow conditions on newly pisted runs Smile Just have some light lensed eyewear wink
ski holidays
As a family we tried this from Les Lindarets (Goat Village) in the PDS. The last restaurant called Les Carlines will arrange an evening dinner with a proper flaming torchlite descent, they have a ski doo with trailer for non skiers and children who are not old enough. There are minimum numbers of about 15 (total in the restaurant) so it is dependant on this, if you do then take old gloves as my torch "dripped" onto my gloves and ended up burning holes in it rolling eyes it was a lot of fun Very Happy
ski holidays
Timmaah, the people who said "torchlight descent" meant the same thing - it's what they usually call it. But if it is clear and near a full moon you can see well without the torches and can break away and ski at your own pace rather than in the snake. Good fun after a few drinks - but once or twice is enough.
ski holidays
Did the torchlit descent thing many years ago at Bardonecchia in Italy whilst on a college skiing trip. It was cold and a bit scary but otherwise good fun, especially as most of us were a bit tanked up on grappa. Laughing
ski holidays
snowball, ah ok, figured the "torchlight descent" meant with torchlights rather than following people in a snake with the leader holding up the flare.
latest report
Timmaah, When I did it, we all had a flare - hence the dripping wax on your clothes comment. Was fun though, but only once! Smile
snow conditions
I grew up night-skiing (about the only skiing I did for the first 10 years or so). Not surprisingly, I never understood what the attraction was with skiing until later. As an after-work/school activity it's fine. But otherwise, it's limited, and let's just put it at that. Better than nothing? Sure. But I'd rather ski hard during the day and spend my evening getting my energy back for another full day on the slopes.
latest report
One of my most enjoyable ski experiences was at night, last year, when we skinned up a few pistes at about 8pm with only the dameurs for company and lit only by their lights. After an hour or so of skinning, we took our skis off and settled down and cooked a couple of magret on a tiny gas burner, washed them down with a bottle of cider, stcuk the skis back on and zoomed down. Truly a weird experience, skiing on a deserted piste in the dark and having to trust feel and instinct, rather than your eyes for your turns etc. I'd recommend it.

Not sure how legal it is, of course...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In St Anton a couple of years back we climbed up from St Christoph to the cable car midstation and a bit beyond at about 3 in the morning and then skied down to St Anton itself by the light of a full moon. Absolutely fantasic experience!
It was very cold mind - below -25C Shocked
ski holidays
Have skied at Squaw Valley at few times at night. Pretty much as above. Temperature drops like a stone after about 4-30pm. Lighting there not too bad but definition not brilliant. Only lift running is the main gondola to High Camp and the ski run is back down to the base station. It's probably about 2 miles from top to bottom and roughly follows what was the mens olympic downhill track from many years back. There were about 25-30 people in the gondola car and half a dozen of them were ski patrol or first-aiders. If you waited around at the top for a few minutes after the lift arrived you could ski down and not see a soul Shocked .
I enjoyed it. It's also eerily quiet once you move away from the lift station and the snow-park. Give it try,you might like it. rolling eyes
latest report
I've only tried it once and hated it. And that was a very long times ago.

Basically, if you're thinking of the "ordinary skiing" as day time skiing, you'll be disappointed and hate it as I did.

But I can see the attraction now. Not as a poor extension of the skiing hours, but as an almost different kind of skiing experience.
snow report
Its a way of life out here, I go at least twice a week after work, can ski until 10 pm, can be extremely cold, but a lot of fun too. It makes skiing in the bumps very interesting becasue of all the shadows.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy