Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap equipment sets: Too bad or doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

After 240 odd posts, I think it may be the first thread I start. It only took me a nearly a year! Very Happy

I apologise as it is a selfish one and it might have been covered before (but being at work I can't spend the time searching). rolling eyes

I have been skiing since the age of 5, but took up snowboarding last year. Did 4 days in Austria and a couple in Andorra.
In Austria I got the equipment free via my tour rep. friend and then rented in Andorra.
This year I am hoping to do a couple of days in Andorra again at Christmas while I am in Toulouse, then off for 4 days again in Austria.
Except this time no free equipment, plus the flight back is on a Monday afternoon so if I rent I lose one morning's skiing.
Being only a beginner (doing only a week a year and being on a very tight budget) I am therefore thinking of buying a cheap set of board/boots/bindings, either from Ebay or Decathlon.
It would cost me around £150 and I am thinking it would pay for itself very quickly.
My question is: at that price, and bearing in mind I am only a beginner sticking to the piste so far, could I live with this equipment or is it just plain too awful and I should stick to renting until I can afford better?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a beginner you don't want to be buying expensive gear. Most of it will be too stiff and unforgiving at least as far as boards and bindings go. So if you can get a cheap board/bindings on ebay then it will probably be OK. I'd want to make sure the boots fit though, as it won't be much fun trying to get better in ill fitting boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boots i wouldnt skimp on.. and you really need to try em on first before you buy em..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
me personally I would rent and leave cheap packages well alone, at least until you know what you want from a board. Or buy last seasons boards brand new.

edit:ignore my babbling, didnt read properly before replying.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-10-07 15:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know a couple of people who bought this last year and liked it (sorry, seems to be no picture on the site at the moment):
http://www.francoiscogne.com/bonnes-affaires/pack-hommes/pack-5150-sect

I bought a really cheap beginner setup last season and loved it - was miles better than the rubbish you get from rental shops, and my riding progressed enormously.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS: we're also selling a couple of boards f you want to have a look: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28965
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
I bought a really cheap beginner setup last season and loved it - was miles better than the rubbish you get from rental shops, and my riding progressed enormously.

I dun gettit Puzzled Are rental shops in france crap then? The boards for rent here are often for a far better standard of rider than the people who hire them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
PS: we're also selling a couple of boards f you want to have a look: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28965

Why does the base of the burton board say salomon? Laughing
No offence but C***y C***k? I despair I really do.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, boards you get for rent here are usually pants. Not much of a selection and not much scope for upgading to better range of equipment as there is with skis. Don't know why this is - less demand than for skis?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, that's an excellent question, and one I will take up with Mr L - it's his board and he told me it was a Burton. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, you might 'despair' mate, but you evidently are not a beginner. Now stop being silly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
stab, boards you get for rent here are usually pants. Not much of a selection and not much scope for upgading to better range of equipment as there is with skis. Don't know why this is - less demand than for skis?

That's weird that is. Here most of the unsold stock goes into rental the following season. Imagine my suprise spending 1000 sfr on a board only to see the next season they rent the unsold ones out to beginners. Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
stab, you might 'despair' mate, but you evidently are not a beginner. Now stop being silly.

I shall stop being silly, in fact I shall keep my opinions to myself wink And I'm an advanced beginner to early intermediate imo Smile I have a high expectation of what good is Laughing

I learnt on a similar board to the burton/salomon in your picture. 300sfr bindings and all, did me 2 seasons Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, there you go then. I've no doubt the Crazy Creek board is s bit rubbish, but so was I at the time - the fact that I am now a lot better suggests that it did the job.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kruisler, invest in boots. They will last you a while.

Hang around Dacathlon and you should be able to get a board cheap (they may still have some of last year's at a bargain price). After a couple of snow weeks you will be in a position to know what you like/don't like, then you can ebay your board, make some money back and invest in a better one.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Decathlon don't hang onto last year's stock - they clear it all in early April. They do have cheap stuff though.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice on the boots. Knowing that from being a skier, I was/am reluctant to buy the boots off the internet.
With that in mind, Decathlon was always my 1st choice, as I have one near me as well.
Their 1st price for the set is £160 (boots £40, board £70 and bindings £50).
My experience of renting equipment as a skier has been mixed so I feel It's a bit of a lottery, especially if it's a short rental.
Plus I keep thinking I can't be bothered anymore to lose time in the rental shops in the morning and afternoon (when I go boarding for the day from Toulouse) or to lose time on the slope cos' I got to give the equipment back the day before I fly, even tho I could sneak in some snowboarding in the morning.
Since I can only do a few days a year, every second counts... snowHead
At the same time I am trying not to waste £150-200 on a heap of useless toot that won't last a week..
wink
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:

Plus I keep thinking I can't be bothered anymore to lose time in the rental shops in the morning and afternoon (when I go boarding for the day from Toulouse) or to lose time on the slope cos' I got to give the equipment back the day before I fly, even tho I could sneak in some snowboarding in the morning.
Since I can only do a few days a year, every second counts... snowHead
At the same time I am trying not to waste £150-200 on a heap of useless toot that won't last a week..
wink

There is another advantage when you do short trips. With your own gear you'll have a good idea how it handles and you won't spend time getting used to how a new setup rides. Also helps a lot when you're learning.
snow report
Kruisler,

I have had shocking hire boots and any boots you buy that fit properly will be better than hiring, no matter how cheap they are

I have had even worse bindings that have snapped, had the straps too short to easily feed in to the ratchet/receiver, had them moving on the board becasue the board thread was worn etc,

I have had a very limited choice of board to hire that quite frankly did not suit me as a beginner, mainly in France. Actually one day in AdHuez I changed my board/bindings three time they were so bad Shocked

I would buy a cheap set that suits your height/weight and intended riding (piste riding at this stage probably), maybe second hand, then at least you are considtently using the same set up and should progress better, and you will probably recoup the amount you would pay for a weeks board hire anyway
snow conditions
Kruisler, If that price includes boots, I'd say it's suspiciously cheap. You could spend £150 on a board/bindings package and get something which will be fine for the moment, but I'd get boots separately - shop around for them and try on lots of different ones.

I bought boots with my board last year and was looking for new ones after ten days (didn't help that I managed to get a pair which was a size too big, mind). I tried on zillions and bought some K2s - excellent boots, very comfortable.
latest report
Have a look here: http://www.blue-tomato.at/ProductTreeAction.bto?thirdNode=&selectedNode=BifvCY1DjrqPEBWgen8Aie-142&secondNode=BifvCY1DjrqPEBWgen8Aie-142

Last year's models, knock-down prices.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I bought my boot in L2A and the guy who fitted them for me did a great job, and I am very happy. I bought cheapish boots (Burton Tribute) and they fit fine and are comfy. Hire boots have nearly crippled me. Get good fitting boots first would be my advice
latest report
or this depending on your needs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220160084405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
snow conditions
rayscoops,

Last year in Austria, my free "rental" board had one of its straps coming loose at the top of the resort and I could not repair it there and then..Had to hike to the nearest gondola (very tiring), go all the way down to the village, back to the rental shop...to find it closed..so begged in another shop. Theyr were very nice but understandbly saw to me after their own clients, and I must have lost a good 2/3 hours... I know it was free but I was not happy! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks as well, and to Lager, , for pointing to the fact I won't have to get used to new equipment every time if I buy...

I'll go and have a look in Decathlon, see how bad/good their boots are... I often buy from them and usually find the quality OK..
snow conditions
Kruisler, essential purchase: a board tool. The strap fell off one of my bindings in the car park at Alpe d'Huez and I too had to beg assistance from a random hire shop - embarrassing!
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Elizabeth B, Decathlon don't hang onto last year's stock - they clear it all in early April. They do have cheap stuff though.

Sorry - but they do. Sheffield store had some left last weekend. I bought my board in Oct.....they stash it over the summer and then try again to flog it in the autumn.
snow report
rayscoops, tha graphic on that board is HORRIBLE! Laughing
snow report
Elizabeth B, sorry, thought you were on about France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, I assumed that Kruisler was referring to Decathlon in UK.....hadn't noticed the reference to Toulouse.

I think that they do try and shif it all in spring here too, but never succeed.
ski holidays
Lizzard, never even noticed, just saw the price Very Happy BTW a Ride Timelss sold yeaterday for £136 !!
ski holidays
Lizzard,

Will defo buy a tool this year! Very Happy
Although I never found the missing screw last year so would have had to come back down anyway... rolling eyes

Also agree with you on rayscoops's board graphics! Laughing

We gave stick all week to one of my mates because his board was very"Bling"!! Very Happy
Can't let myself go thru that now can I!! Laughing
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
We gave stick all week to one of my mates because his board was very"Bling"!! Very Happy
Can't let myself go thru that now can I!! Laughing

it's all about teh bling, I'm rocking the white leather and gold set up Laughing
snow report
Kruisler, graphics are shocking, agreed Very Happy , get some bling or get some black Very Happy
latest report
Agree about dodgy hire shop gear (skis & boards!): in Tignes last season the bolt holding one of my straps came loose after about two runs. Had to scrape around in the snow to find it. The board was also way too stiff despite me asking for something suitable for an early intermediate.
ski holidays
spend £100+ on the boots, they will make so much difference to your progression and comfort. Forget trying to buy a board/binding on your budget, you'll just end up compromising and probably end up with a load of tosh that you'll grow out of too quickly. You may get lucky though..........
snow conditions
There's a lot of unsold kit around in snowboard shops. You'd be pushed to get the lot for £150 but you should be able to get fairly close to that with decent branded stuff. You can sell branded stuff on when you're done and also you'll get a warranty which is worth it. And, shameless plug for the local industry here, if you show your face in your local store it doesn't take them long to work out what you're after and look after you. For some people that means ordering in the new T6 in your size; for others it means tipping you off when a barely used s/h board is passing through their hands as a trade in. Rental can be great in some resorts and cobblers in others and depends from year to year - which is why you want your own kit, now I think of it...
snow conditions
Kruisler, bought one of the sub-£200 packages off eBay and was really pleased with the board and bindings, although the boots were comfy but looked like Frankenstein's monster would come looking for them anytime soon!! Smile I still use the board and sold the bindings for £30 after I found the joys of FLOWs. Also, ened up buying a pair of Burton Motos that I've used many a time but have found to be a bag of pooh.

As a beginner I didn't have a clue about what a board should act like so go for anything that's in your budget. Invest in some comfy boots though. You'd be able to piece a kit of quality gear together (big name brands) for under £200 I bet.

Check these out for cheap deals:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.aspx
http://www.filarinskis.co.uk
http://www.e-depot.co.uk
snow conditions
Dan, the hire gear is a load of all tosh too though Very Happy and you can clock up £150 hiring gear easily.
snow report
One thing you have to remember, hire boards are used nearly everyday through the season, god knows how old they are same with bindings.

go for your own if you can afford it, you can always use it also in the uk,

and as you prob use it max of 3 weeks a year dept how offten you go, its best to have your own
latest report
Thanks to everyone for their comments...

I think I am gonna stick to Decathlon for the boots: not the best but usually ok, cheap, and importantly I can try for size.
Then I'll get some board+bindings sets from Ebay, either used or new (some interesting Heli sets at the mo..)
Before buying, I'll have a sneak into my local shop...

Only two months to go...can't wait... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy