Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last season's goals vs this season's goals - AKA the facebook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Was reading the profiles the other day and noticed everyone's goals, learn to turn, backflip a flaming bus, switch stalefish cab 1080 to smith grind etc.

What did you set out to learn last year? What did you learn? What didn't you learn? What are going to learn this year?

Last year I set out to learn:
Backflips
The 4 360s
Grabbed 360s both directions
THE rail, outside the post office.
More rail crap

I learnt:
Grabbed regular 360s both directions (indy and backside/method)
A bit of rail stuff
Switch frontside 360 and 540
Frontside 540
Big lofty backside grabbed 180s (indy method and tail)
Jibby buttery tech flatland stuff
Shiftys

I didn't learn:
Backflips Sad never enough snow to get a safe landing.
THE rail, again never enough snow to get a safe crash landing point.
Switch backside 360

This year I'm trying to learn:
All the things I didn't learn last year.
Grab those 540s
Backside 540
Frontflip
Bonks
Big gap jumps over various roads/paths/fences I spotted this summer.

I'm confident on all of those except THE rail, friggin thing gives me nightmares.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-11-07 22:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last year/season I wanted to learn...

... how to snowboard Smile
... do a jump
... do my first rail
... not end up in traction!

In fact, I managed to learn...

... how to snowboard
... how to fall properly
... how to crash into skiers of all nationalities Toofy Grin
... how to increase my propensity for cheap, fizzy French lager
... how to ollie off rails
... how to nollie
... how to annoy the missus by talking snowboarding 24/7

But I didn't learn...

... how to do rotation tricks
... how to go off piste without having to dig myself out Sad

So this year I'm going to learn...

... how to go off piste properly so I look pro
... how to get more air and do 'proper' jumps
... how to do a proper, mid-air 180/360
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last year I set out to . . . .

Do lots more boarding
with Steeper Steeps
with Faster Carving
with Lovely off piste

In fact I manged . . . . .

A bit more boarding
A few Steeps (which were better)
Some carving (which could be better - there some video on here somewhere)
Some falling over in the fog
and some lovely spring off piste

This year . . . .

build on last year.
Nail off piste Steeps
Be more centered in my carving
Don't go out in the fog. . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year i set out to ...

- Learn to jump & land kickers
- Do the Boarder Cross
- Try the Park
- Get faster
- Master the cat tracks/flats ( I HATE THEM)
- Find as much powder as possible

I actually

- Learnt to jump & land kickers !! (but not gracefully)
- Got the balls to do the Boarder cross & loved it
- Did some rollers & quarter pipe (albeit not very good)
- Got faster (still carve too much though)
- Stopped being scared of the board being flat and can do cat tracks/flats
- Only found minimal powder - buy hey that was natures fault not mine!!!

This year ....

- Jump with STYLE, try a few grabs
- Learn 180's, 360's
- Get faster in a straighter line - less carving
- Not feel guilty about enjoying myself and feel i have to stay with the slower ones to help them
- Get some wicked photos of me and the guys

And if I don't achieve it I am still gonna have a blast and grin like a madwoman the whole time Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, good topic.

Last season I wanted to: -

*Get faster
*Get air
*Learn to spin
*Get powder

What happened was:

* I got quick, flats are no longer any issue
* Managed some jumps
* Did a 180 once and ground spins untill I get far to dizzy and have to have a beer.
* Found occasional deep powder, it was luck but it was great.
* Discovered how much snow shoes suck.

This season:

* More air
* Carve Switch
* More powder, the new board demands this so it's not optional
* 360's maybe
* NO Snowshoes.

But mainly lots of fun with some cool people. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, thats a good point - Switch !
I need to master Switch too, can swing around and go straight but I can't turn with out faceplanting Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
debbi, the problems I have all come from my set up, I have both feet pointing forwards +15/+12, unconventional but it works for me, until I try switch where I can just about manage down a green Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last season I wanted to:

get off chairlifts without thinking about it all the way up
get up easier drags without falling off
not crash into anybody (without bailing to avoid them...)
do easy runs without falling over
relax
be the oldest boarder by miles, for miles around.

The last goal was effortlessly achieved. The others? Well, I didn't crash into anybody, I didn't have to bail to avoid them, I managed to get off quite a few chairs, up quite a few (easy) drags, and do some runs without coming close to falling over. Relaxed? Well, sometimes.

But the snow was crap, so I didn't do much boarding (I only board in perfect conditions, you understand, my excuse being that I am elderly and decrepit).

So next season's goals are the same, but more so. I'll give the big lofty backside a miss, for a bit. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, looks like we'll both be spending some time looking like beginners again Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I'll give the big lofty backside a miss, for a bit. rolling eyes
Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last season:
- learn to board

What I did:
- learned to board! Can deal with lifts, flat bits, cat tracks, easy red runs. Can go out with Mr L (seventh season boarder) without him finding it boring.

This season:
- jump a bit
- get better
- go faster
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I notice a lot of you had trouble with flat sections, I forgot about those, they used to be a nightmare. Skullie

Anyone trying to learn 180s then frontside ones are perhaps the easiest thing ever, take off on your heels or flat, as you leave the ground eye ball where you want to land on the toe edge, twist your shoulders, the board has to follow your top half of the body. Not my rules, it's science, land, absorb some of the landing in your knees, afterbang and ride away like you own the place. Once you get that down then the 360 is just more shoulder spinning and looking underneath your front arm's armpit for the landing.

I think I have a small gif of a small slow mo 360, I'll dig it out.

edit: found it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love this site so much Very Happy

Last year I wanted to:

- jump off stuff
- go straighter, get faster
- get braver!
- experiment more with riding switch, which I'd dabbled with a bit ineptly on the last day of the previous year
- carve more powder, this time without leaving what would begin as a pristine track, but which would then end abruptly -- and reappear 20 feet further down the hill, beginning with a VERY deep hole and then punctuated with equally deep footholes leading back in the direction of the piste Embarassed

What actually happened:

- a few very small hops off some kickers, ending mostly in inelegant stacks -- one of which Ms. Snojito caught on camera and delights in showing to friends & family far too often for my liking

- lots of switch down blues and the wider reds - Swirly, having webbed feet (+15, -6) definitely makes that easier

- discovered just you can really bend a snowboard! ollies, little pop 180's to switch and back again, spinning the board... these things were all new and I was like a kid in a sweet shop on every single slope

- played around in tons of powder - we were in Les Arcs in the first week of March, and it whited out a couple of times and snowed for the rest, so even the pistes skied like shallow fresh stuff a lot of the time

- had the most terrifying and exhilarating off-piste experience of my short snowboarding career... up the Aiguille Rouge cable car, down the black off the top for a few feet, then off the side of the black and straight down the face, carving through powder, slaloming rocks and bouncing through avalanche crud to arrive back into 2000 a shuddering, broken and grinning young man.

(all of that, apart from the cr*p jumps, were thanks to our frankly excellent instructor, who I think deserves all the credit in the world!)

For this season (Ischgl in late Feb)

- more switch!
- more terror in the deep!
- bigger and better jumps, by which I mean "jumps with air perceptible to others besides yours truly", perhaps with some spins and / or grabs added in?
- rail and pipe jackanapery, provided of course I can drag myself out of the powder...

I'm properly, pant-stainingly, trouser-changingly excited - can we go now? can we can we can we?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snojito, for God's sake, you sound like Mr Lizzard. He very nearly has a countdown chart on the wall. rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, i have a count down on my facebook Laughing
ski holidays
debbi, I have two Embarassed
ski holidays
Swirly, geek !
ski holidays
god your all so motivated!

i just want to be able to ride everyday, if not every day then most days and certainly never miss a pow day!

thats it
latest report
snowangel., your so lucky ! I have such limited time on the mountain that its such a big event to look forwards to ! I am actually more excited about my snowboarding hols than I was when I was buying my house Embarassed
snow report
I forgot this goal, most people are too lazy to go up there, I'm not, I'm afraid of heights Crying or Very sad The other side is a big drop. This year I'm going to try and get up there, I can't even get up there in the summer (I tried in september)
snow report
stab, hope you don`t mind a skier posting in here. Is reassuring to find another snowsports nut who has a fear of heights. It is a fear I have been trying to conquer for a few years now but it is still lingering around like a bad smell. I have less fear when I have skis strapped to my feet but when on foot I can be a bit of a girls blouse about heights. It is very annoying Mad
snow report
mrtoastie, don't mind at all Wink Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I'm better now than I used to be. When I 1st moved out here I would spin out in all sorts of dumb places, even my balcony to my apartment Laughing
Much better now but I think it's prolonged exposure to heights, and I'm the same, slap a board to my feet and I'll go down anything, take the board off and I'm a pansy.
ski holidays
mrtoastie,stab, Totally agree with you ! I am scared of hieghts, edges & flying !
I can't go near the edge of a dock/ harbour. I don't go in glass lifts unless i have too, in fact I got trapped in one between floors 12 & 13 a few years back and positively freaked and had to crawl out on my hands and knees sweating when they opened the doors Embarassed
Re: flying, i can only do flights of maximum 4 hours and I have to take diazipan & several shots of alcohol before I can do that.. but in March I was soooo pleased with myself - I did a helicopter ride from LDA to Alpes D'huez and then back at the end of the day - without drugs Razz

But I LOVE gondolas & chair lifts, and think nothing of looking down a steep run before attempting it with my board - nuts eh ?
snow report
stab, debbi, maybe we should start a scaredy cat fear of heights thread. I have no problems in planes, chairlifts, gondolas.. but like Debbi... standing on the edge of a cliff/building/pier can quite often send me spinning. I tried indoor climbing a few times last summer but I am not sure if it helped or compounded the problem Puzzled

ps. good work Debbi snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 5-11-07 17:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
mrtoastie, didn't someone start one of those a while ago? Or was that the 'chairlifts are lethal' thread?
ski holidays
Lizzard, not sure.. to be honest I haven`t really figured out how to look for old threads yet Embarassed
ski holidays
mrtoastie, I wouldn't worry about it - the whole thing was positively risible.

I have a friend who hates heights and regularly freaks out on chairlifts - her solution is to shut her eyes firmly and let her son tell her when it's safe to open them again.
snow report
Lizzard, ha ha I bet her son could have some fun with that one.... I wonder if she has ever done any roundtrips on the chairlift while her son falls about in the snow sniggering.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standing on the edge of a cliff makes me want to go like this

may not be me in this picture.
ski holidays
Swirly, That can be arranged ! Watch your back wink
snow conditions
debbi, nah that looks like too much of a soft landing for him... now if that was a frozen lake then I totally agree with your sentiments... splat!! Laughing Little Angel
ski holidays
mrtoastie, Laughing Fortunately for her, Tim is nice enough not to want to do that, and bright enough to know it really wouldn't be worth it if he did.
latest report
debbi, you should add to improve at Scrabble to your goals NehNeh Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Swirly, Embarassed Embarassed Facebook scrabble doesnt like me, it gives me crap letters. honest guv... Embarassed
latest report
debbi, one of Facebook's best features, that application.
snow report
Lizzard, I love that & Tetris, if you want to get your stats up I'll lose to ya sometime Laughing
ski holidays
So obviously this year's goals for you 2 are to talk about facebook NehNeh

Coming soon in the Bend Ze Knees section, The facebook scrabble thread.
snow report
stab, sorry Embarassed thats a skiers trait - Digressing off topic Embarassed
ski holidays
stab, she needs it. Laughing

Roll on January so I can stop talking about boarding and do some.
ski holidays
Its gonna a be a long 74 (ish) days of pi$$ taking and abuse until then Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy